199Re: OT-were strongly considering move to monterey from NYC- need advice

  • Salal Moon Rinaldo
    Jun 14, 2013
      Hello Adele,

      I don't think anyone has responded yet so I'll chime in. Unfortunately I can't speak much for the Monterey/Carmel area because I'm in Santa Cruz, about 45 min north of Monterey.

      We have a membership at the Monterey Bay Aquarium (http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/), a spectacular place that could certainly be one regular destination for you if you move to the area. Of course the Monterey Bay, from the Monterey Peninsula up through Santa Cruz, is an enormous, gorgeous National Marine Sanctuary (http://montereybay.noaa.gov/).

      There's a lot to do at our very varied beaches as well as inland in our beautiful hikeable, bikeable, walkable hills (especially if you have a BOB stroller!).

      We've been going to Wilder Ranch State Park a lot lately bc that's right near us (http://www.yelp.com/biz/wilder-ranch-state-park-santa-cruz). Maybe worth a couple of trips up to Santa Cruz, which you'll probably want to do anyway. Yesterday our 26 mo old son was thrilled by the big tractor in the farm field, the lawn mower (which the nice Ranger Alex let him sit on), the magnificent draft horses, goats, cows, chickens, old barns, and best climbing tree I've ever seen, a huge bald cypress.

      Santa Cruz also has a famous Boardwalk amusement park (http://www.beachboardwalk.com/). We haven't taken our toddler there yet bc we prefer the more natural settings, but I'm sure he'll like it later. We have, however, taken him to the adjacent Wharf, where you can see and hear barking sea lions up close.

      San Francisco is about 2 hrs from there. More a mommy-daddy getaway destination, I'd say, but having it that close (bout 1 1/2 from us) really does make me feel less isolated. I grew up in LA and like an urban experience now and then!

      There are a lot of mom's groups and even yoga classes for moms and toddlers here in Santa Cruz. I'm sorry I don't know more about Monterey County. Hopefully someone there will respond soon.

      Best wishes!
      Moon
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic