Monington DNA study?

  • Jocelyn Keene
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2004
      Dear Monningtons,
      I am descended from the East Sussex Mannington family and am considering starting
      up a DNA study for Manningtons and variant names to see if we are all related. Why
      am I writing to Moningtons? Co-investigators and I have traced the East Sussex
      Mannington back to Thomas Mannington, Vicar of Bodiam 1624-1654. I recently
      found a note saying that he was ordained by the Bishop of Gloucester. Why would he
      be ordained by that particular Bishop unless he were from Gloucester? In his early
      church records he used Mannington and Monington interchangeably. I notice that you
      think that the American Monington family originated from Gloucester. Ergo, there is a
      good chance that the families were related in the 16th century.
      Are you interested? I haven't started the study yet because I need to see if I can get
      other people interested. To participate in such a study you would have to be a male
      with the surname in question (in this case, Mannington, Monington, Manaton,
      Manicom) and have had no break in your lineage (e.g., adoption, illegitimacy, name
      change). I personally have two problems. 1) My surname is not Mannington and 2) I
      do not have any Y-DNA so I am entirely dependent on getting other people (men) to
      volunteer. This project is not inexpensive - for a surname study the cost for a 12
      marker test for one person is $99 at Family Tree DNA. A 12 marker test is sufficient
      to see if all the people in the study come from related families but it won't tell you
      how long ago the various branches of the family diverged. That would take further
      testing which is beyond the scope of the initial study. My hope is that enough people
      are interested that we can pool resources and that females or people not surnamed
      Mannington or variant would help with the expenses of those who are
      fortunate enough to have the right DNA and who volunteer to do the test. Note that
      even if you are a female born with the right name, you might have a living father or
      brother who could contribute DNA.
      Please respond if you think this would be a good idea and/or if you could contribute
      DNA or help with expenses of those who do.
      Thanks,
      Jocelyn Keene
      P.S. I have no interest whatsoever (financial or otherwise) in the Family Tree DNA
      company. I am purely interested in the research on our ancestors.
    • cpham_mw@tfi-online.de
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2004
        This user does not exist at mail.tfi-online.de
      • llee99_9
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 15, 2004
          Jocelyn,

          I think we are going to have to dig somebody up. To my knowledge
          there is not a single male bearing the Mannington/Manington surname
          alive today in the USA that decended from Joseph Mannington of
          Waynesville, Warren County, Ohio. I do not think there are any in any
          of the other lines alive either in the USA. That's leaves the
          Monington surname only.

          Larry

          --- In monington@yahoogroups.com, "Jocelyn Keene" <jbkeene@y...>
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 15, 2004
            Dear Larry,
            Do you know any Moningtons? As I said in my note, I'd like to see if
            the Manningtons of Sussex are related to the Moningtons of
            Gloucester/Hereford/Staffordshire. It is unfortunate that I cannot
            offer my DNA for such a study. But maybe if I offer to pay, I can get
            one of my male Mannington relatives to donate DNA and then we'd need a
            Monington for comparison. Of course, the more the merrier.
            But so far I haven't had any takers at all.
            Jocelyn

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 22, 2005
              Dear Moningtons,
              Over a year ago I said that I was considering starting a DNA study to find out if the
              Moningtons (Hereford and USA), Manningtons (Sussex, Kent, New Zealand, Australia) and
              Manatons (Cornwall and Devon) are all related or if we are separate families. The name
              Mannington is the glue that holds these three together. In Cornwall in the 17th century,
              we find Mannington and Manaton being used interchangeably. In Hereford, likewise, we
              find Mannington and Monnington being used interchangeably. In the USA in the 18th &
              19th centuries we likewise find both Manningtons and Moningtons. In more modern times
              the spellings have settled down into three distinct groups.
              I have now started the DNA study and have talked one of my Mannington 3rd cousins
              into giving up some DNA for it. Please, if you are male and with the surname Monington
              (or Monnington, Manington, Mannington, Manaton, Mannaton) consider joining this study.
              Even if you find that you are not related to the Mannington family, you might be able to
              sort out various lines of Monington descent. If you are female, you can talk one of your
              brothers or cousins into joining it - and you can help him to pay for it.
              Are there any disadvantages to joining such a study? I can think of four that people
              might worry about. Only two of them are real.
              1) The test might reveal an inherited disease that you or your insurance company didn't
              know about. FALSE. This test does not test for diseases. If you want, the DNA can be
              destroyed immediately after testing so that no more tests can be run on it.
              2) The DNA results might get into FBI database (or whatever is the equivalent in your
              particular country) and you might be arrested for a crime based on DNA evidence. FALSE.
              This DNA test is not the same kind as used for criminal investigations. Think of it, all your
              brothers and male cousins have the same Y-DNA and so the test would be useless for
              identifying criminals. Also, as above, the DNA can be destroyed so no further tests can be
              run on it.
              3) You might find that you and your brothers or cousins do not have the same Y-DNA,
              meaning that at least one of you does not have the same father or grandfather as the
              others. TRUE. This is a danger of this test. If there have been any adoptions or
              illegitimacies in your family, this will show up in a Y-DNA test. If it would bother you to
              find this out then do not sign up for this test.
              4) The tests are expensive. TRUE. If you are interested in genealogy and interested in
              having the test done because it will give you knowledge about your paternal ancestors
              completely independent of your painstakingly established pedigree chart, then try to
              interest other members of your immediate family to help you pay for it. It can be a group
              activity and you (or your brother or cousin) can be the representative of your whole family
              branch.
              The website for this DNA study is http://www.familytreedna.com/surname_join.asp?
              code=U52122&special=true . I chose Family Tree DNA as the company for this study but
              actually you can have the test done with any company if you then report the results to me.
              (Of course, you can also have the test done without reporting the results to me but then
              you can't be part of this surname study!)
              Feel free to email me with questions about this - no committment implied.
              Best wishes,
              Jocelyn Keene
              Mannington descendant from Pasadena, CA