William Monington bio in Lawmaking and Legislators in PA

  • Patty Hankins
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
      Hi everyone -

      I recently got in touch with another Monington/Thomas descendant - Buck and
      Ella Rose. He's descended from Chauncy Thomas - son of Moses Thomas/Rebecca
      Monington. Buck and Ella sent me a pile of info - the hopefully I'll get
      added to the website soon.

      One of the sources they sent was a biography of William Monington that
      appeared on pp 700-7054 of
      Lawmaking and Legislators in Pennsylvania: A Biographical Dictionary. Volume
      2: 1710-1756 by Craig W Horle et al. The article has all sorts of info about
      William's political career - prior to this - I'd only know he'd served in
      the Pennsylvania Assembly between 1726-1738.

      There was also info on the family in England that I'd never seen before -
      and wasn't sure if anyone else had seen - so wanted to share it.

      from page 700
      "Monington was born in Gloucester, England, into a Quaker family that had
      suffered prosecution for its religious convictions. For example, his uncle
      and father, William and Thomas Monington, respectively were imprisoned in
      March 1668 for attending a Quaker meeting and for subsequenlty refusing to
      swear an oath. Again in 1670 Monington's father was sent to Bridewell
      prison, having been found at a Quaker meeting. Twelve years later
      Monington's parents were jailed in January 1682 for refusing to swear on
      oath and apparently remained imprisoned until freed by the general pardon of
      Quakers proclaimed by King James II in March 1686. With his father's
      approval, Monington received a certificate of removal from Gloucester
      Monthly Meeting, dated 30 April 1699, which he presented to Philadelphia
      Monthly Meeting two months later. In contrast to his parents, Monington
      apparently was a rather lukewarm Friend. Evidently he only attended
      Philpadelphia Monthly Meeting to present his certificate from Gloucester and
      to gain approval to marry."

      Looking at the references - it looks like the info about his parents and
      relious persecution came from something called the "Great Book of
      Sufferings" - I found a reference to something on the web - Society of
      Friends.

      The Great Book of Sufferings, 1659-1793
      The 29 volumes of the Great Book of Sufferings contain names of Friends who
      were prosecuted, stripped of property, or who otherwise suffered for the
      sake of their religion. Each volume is indexed and covers a group of
      counties for the particular year. In most cases the names of informers,
      priests, constables and justices are indexed. The microfilm is useful for
      research on genealogy, social attitudes and religious tolerance in England.

      It's on 29 reels of microfilm - only costs $3200.00! I've done a couple of
      quick searches - can't find it anyone easily accessible - does anyone happen
      to know where there is a version of this available?

      Patty
    • Dave Skinner
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
        How wonderful, Patty! That is one of the most important finds on Monington genealogy
        I have seen in many years. Thank you so much for sharing it with the group.

        Dave Skinner - skinnerd@...
        Le Jardin Ombragé, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
        Main Website http://www.nettally.com/skinnerd/ombrage.html
        Ginger Website http://www.nettally.com/skinnerd/gingers.htm
        eBay Listings http://www.GingersRus.com
        > I recently got in touch with another Monington/Thomas descendant - Buck and
        > Ella Rose. He's descended from Chauncy Thomas - son of Moses Thomas/Rebecca
        > Monington. Buck and Ella sent me a pile of info - the hopefully I'll get
        > added to the website soon.
        >
        > One of the sources they sent was a biography of William Monington that
        > appeared on pp 700-7054 of
        > Lawmaking and Legislators in Pennsylvania: A Biographical Dictionary. Volume
        > 2: 1710-1756 by Craig W Horle et al. The article has all sorts of info about
        > William's political career - prior to this - I'd only know he'd served in
        > the Pennsylvania Assembly between 1726-1738.
        >
        > There was also info on the family in England that I'd never seen before -
        > and wasn't sure if anyone else had seen - so wanted to share it.
        >
        > from page 700
        > "Monington was born in Gloucester, England, into a Quaker family that had
        > suffered prosecution for its religious convictions. For example, his uncle
        > and father, William and Thomas Monington, respectively were imprisoned in
        > March 1668 for attending a Quaker meeting and for subsequenlty refusing to
        > swear an oath. Again in 1670 Monington's father was sent to Bridewell
        > prison, having been found at a Quaker meeting. Twelve years later
        > Monington's parents were jailed in January 1682 for refusing to swear on
        > oath and apparently remained imprisoned until freed by the general pardon of
        > Quakers proclaimed by King James II in March 1686. With his father's
        > approval, Monington received a certificate of removal from Gloucester
        > Monthly Meeting, dated 30 April 1699, which he presented to Philadelphia
        > Monthly Meeting two months later. In contrast to his parents, Monington
        > apparently was a rather lukewarm Friend. Evidently he only attended
        > Philpadelphia Monthly Meeting to present his certificate from Gloucester and
        > to gain approval to marry."
        >
        > Looking at the references - it looks like the info about his parents and
        > relious persecution came from something called the "Great Book of
        > Sufferings" - I found a reference to something on the web - Society of
        > Friends.
        >
        > The Great Book of Sufferings, 1659-1793
        > The 29 volumes of the Great Book of Sufferings contain names of Friends who
        > were prosecuted, stripped of property, or who otherwise suffered for the
        > sake of their religion. Each volume is indexed and covers a group of
        > counties for the particular year. In most cases the names of informers,
        > priests, constables and justices are indexed. The microfilm is useful for
        > research on genealogy, social attitudes and religious tolerance in England.
        >
        > It's on 29 reels of microfilm - only costs $3200.00! I've done a couple of
        > quick searches - can't find it anyone easily accessible - does anyone happen
        > to know where there is a version of this available?
        >
        > Patty
        >

        > Exchanging information on the MONINGTON family in America.

      • Patty Hankins
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2002
          Thanks Dave - but Buck and Ella deserve all the credit.

          I've found a couple of places that have an index to the Great Book of
          Sufferings - but so far haven't found anywhere that has the whole set.

          In the info Buck sent - there was info on the family of William Monington
          Thomas (son of Moses/Rebecaa Monington) that I'd never seen. Two of his sons
          served in the Civil War from Illinois. I think I've found the info I need at
          Ancestry.com to find their service files and pension records down at NARA -
          both left widows - with any luck - the pension files will give info on
          descendants as well.

          I'll let everyone know if I find anything

          Patty