Charles MONNINGTON c1802

  • Angel39470@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 24, 2002
      Hi all,
      I found a Charles MONNINGTON in Dyberry, Wayne co., Pa., in 1870 as
      follows:
      Monnington, Charles 68yrs M Farmer England
      Monnington, Mary 65yrs F keeping house England
      Monnington, Edward or Edmund J 25yrs farm laborer Pa.
      Monnington, Caroline (Carolina) E 23yrs F housekeeper Pa.

      Does anyone know anything about this family.

      Thank you

      Debbie
    • Patty Hankins
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 25, 2002
        Debbie -

        I've got a possible match for the family in the 1840 census. In Dyberry there
        is a Charles Monington, and presumably his wife and two sons on page 268 that
        I can't connect up with anyone or other census entry.

        In this family
        Charles was born bet 1790 - 1800
        Female born bet 1790-1800
        Male born bet 1830-1835
        Male born be 1835-1840

        The ages are off a few years for the parents - and the two young males could
        be older brothers to Edward/Edmund.

        I haven't found the 1840 family in any other census - they're one of my sets
        of stray Moningtons.

        Hope this helps.

        Patty

        Angel39470@... wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I found a Charles MONNINGTON in Dyberry, Wayne co., Pa., in 1870 as
        > follows:
        > Monnington, Charles 68yrs M Farmer England
        > Monnington, Mary 65yrs F keeping house England
        > Monnington, Edward or Edmund J 25yrs farm laborer Pa.
        > Monnington, Caroline (Carolina) E 23yrs F housekeeper Pa.
        >
        > Does anyone know anything about this family.
        >
        > Thank you
        >
        > Debbie
        >

        > Exchanging information on the MONINGTON family in America.

      • Dave Skinner
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 25, 2002
          That's very interesting information - that this Charles Monington may have been born
          in England. The surname is so very rare that I would say there HAS to be a
          connection for him to be in Wayne County, so I am guessing he was sponsored somehow
          to come from England by William Monington.

          The only other Charles I have in my database is the one born Ca 1833, possible son of
          Nathan Monington and (Arville?). They are found in the 1850.

          Dave Skinner - skinnerd@...
          Le Jardin Ombragé, Tallahassee, Florida, USA
          Main Website http://www.nettally.com/skinnerd/ombrage.html
          Ginger Website http://www.nettally.com/skinnerd/gingers.htm
          eBay Listings http://www.GingersRus.com

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 25, 2002
            Dave Skinner wrote:

            > That's very interesting information - that this Charles Monington may have been born
            > in England. The surname is so very rare that I would say there HAS to be a
            > connection for him to be in Wayne County, so I am guessing he was sponsored somehow
            > to come from England by William Monington.

            Do we know of any connections back to England from the Moningtons in the US after they
            immigrated? William arrived in 1699. I'd be a little surprised if the family stayed in
            touch enough for someone to connect up with the Moningtons in PA after 100+ years if we
            don't know that there was contact between the families through much of the 1700s. But I
            agree with Dave about the name being so rare that it would be an incredible coincedence
            for Charles to end up in Wayne County if there wasn't a link to the descendants of
            William.

            > The only other Charles I have in my database is the one born Ca 1833, possible son of
            > Nathan Monington and (Arville?). They are found in the 1850.

            There is also Charles R (Rutledge/Ridgeway) Monington b 1857 son of James R
            Monington/Susan Sutliff. He married Rozella Drumm.

            The Charles b c 1833 - was born May 25, 1833 in Mt Pleasant, Wayne, PA - he is Charles W
            Monington - son of Nathan Monington/Arvilla Tanner. He is probably the Charles Monington
            who served in Hebbel's Co PA Infantry during the Civil War - and may be the one Charles
            MOnington in the NJ Hospital for Disable Soldiers in Hduson Co, MJJ in 1900

            There is also Charles Monington b April 6 1841 - son of Ruth Barber and James Monington.
            THis family was in Bucks County, PA. Charles married Adelaide Leeti - and was a shoemaker
            in Bucks County as late as 1900.

            Patty

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 25, 2002
              Good point, 100 years is a long time. No, I have no other info about further
              Monington immigrations to America after the first William. Of course, there is also
              the possibilitiy that the Census taker made an error in 1870. Has this household
              been found in 1850 or 1860? That might be the next place to look, possibly under
              Mannington or one of the other spellings.

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 25, 2002
                I may have found the family in 1850 at Fred Myers NE PA web site. I scrolled through
                Dyberry township and found on page 195 Household 128

                Manaton, Chs m 48 England
                Mary f 43 England
                Wm P m 21 England
                Henry C m 12 PA
                Edmon J m 5 PA
                Hawkan, Henry m 74 England

                On the web at http://www.dsdata.com.au/cgi-bin/1850page.cgi?wayne0195

                Fred doesn't have Dyberry up for 1860 - so that would be a place to look for the family.

                Patty

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 25, 2002
                  Undoubtably the right household. Now the question is whether the surname is really
                  Monington or something else. Would not be difficult to imagine the Census taker in
                  1870 misinterpreting the name to be Monington, due to the popularity and influence of
                  the name in Wayne County. Or the error could well be in 1850. Good work!

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 25, 2002
                    I just checked the 1850 entry for Dyberry, Wayne at Ancestry.com - it sure looks like
                    Manaton.

                    I just recehecked 1840 - names is spelled Mannington

                    1860 isn't indexed yet at Ancestry - so there's not an easy way to check Dyberry. There
                    appear to be 28 pages of images - which may take a while to search. We may want to wait
                    until Ancestry finishes indexing this one and search then for Charles in 1860

                    Patty

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 25, 2002
                      Hi,
                      Patty, I used Ancestry too when i seen Charles, you can find it:
                      1870 US Census Pa., Wayne Co., Dyberry on page 1 of 25. See what you think
                      is the spelling of the name. I don't think the 1860 census is going to be of
                      much help. I have that census on cd here. I took a look at it and it is
                      spelled the same as what you found for 1850.

                      The 1860 census has them still in Dyberry as follows:
                      Dwelling 88 Family 86
                      Manaton, Charles 58yrs England
                      Manaton, Mary 54yrs England
                      Manaton, Henry 22yrs ditto marks
                      Manaton, Edward (here it looks like Edward) 15yrs ditto marks
                      Sehan?, Julia 11yrs

                      Debbie
                    • Angel39470@aol.com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 27, 2002
                          The spelling in 1870 looks like Monnington to me.

                          So it looks like we've got the family twice as Manaton and twice as Monington.

                          Has anyone found the sons from 1850 and 1860 in 1870 or 1880? Perhaps those
                          spellings might help us figure out which is the correct spelling.

                          Other possible sources are the deeds and wills for Wayne County. I've started
                          ordering some of the films from the LDS for the area - I was planning on pulling
                          all Monington records - as well as my other families - I'll keep an eye out for
                          Manaton as well. The deeds and wills may give us a better spelling - since
                          hopefully Charles was the person writing or spelling it - as opposed to how the
                          census taker thought he heard it <grin>

                          I'm pretty busy with real life - so don't have much time for genealogy research
                          these days - so it may be a while before I have anything to report.

                          Patty

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 17 1:05 AM
                            Hi all,
                            I believe I may have just found Charles' son William in the 1870 census
                            still in Wayne Co. Pa. Anyone with images at ancestry can view the census
                            on page 24 of 30 for Clinton, Wayne Co., Pa. The last name looks to me like
                            Monnington again. It is as follows:
                            Line 23 188 185 Monnington, William 41yrs M W Farmer England
                            Line 24 Monnington, Catherine 35yrs F W Keeping house Pa.
                            Line 25 Monnington, Mary E 12yrs F W at home Pa
                            Line 26 Monnington, Lydia A 10yrs F W Pa
                            Line 27 Monnington, Charles H? 7yrs M Pa
                            Line 28 Monnington, Edward J. 4yrs M W Pa
                            Line 29 Monnington, Floyd E. 1yr M W Pa

                            Does this added information help anyone to make a connection to this family?
                            I only wish i could find my grandparents I am trying to find on one of my
                            other lines.

                            Debbie
                          • paulmonington
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 13, 2004
                              --- In monington@yahoogroups.com, Patty Hankins <phankins@e...>

                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              > > > Exchanging information on the MONINGTON family in America.
                              > > >
                              > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              > > Exchanging information on the MONINGTON family in America.
                              > >
                              > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              Hi Rare name in UK too.