New Dollar Bill Availability

  • Mark and Arlene
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 18, 2013

      I thought that I should share this since so many of you like to fold dollar bills.

      We just had a new member join our monthly Origami Group in the Lehigh Valley. She is a bank teller. She told us why it is so hard to get new dollars. A teller at my  bank just confirmed that current state of distribution.

      When I was growing up, banks got their money from the Federal Reserves Bank. More recently, money distribution companies have taken over the collection and distribution of money. These money distribution companies will pick up money from stores and bank, count, sort and package the money. By keeping the rollover of money in house, they enhance their profits. They only go out to the Fed for new money when they have  a shortage or at holidays to cover increased demands.

      This means that the old money that the Federal Reserve would take out of circulation and destroy stays in the system longer. The money distribution firms just keep recycling money longer than before. This is why it is so hard to get new dollar bills.

      Mark

    • Dorothy Kaplan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 19, 2013

        On Jun 18, 2013, at 7:56 PM, Mark and Arlene wrote:

        I thought that I should share this since so many of you like to fold dollar bills.

        We just had a new member join our monthly Origami Group in the Lehigh Valley. She is a bank teller. She told us why it is so hard to get new dollars. A teller at my  bank just confirmed that current state of distribution.

        Mark.  My bank tells me new money comes out  in November and that is when I have gotten it......Dorothy Kaplan

      • js_hedegard
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 19, 2013
          I am nearly always able to get new $1's at my local bank (Chase), no matter what time of year.  Whether I ask for a strap of them (100) or fewer, it is rare that I am not accommodated.  If I want another denomination and new ones are not immediately available, I come back a few days later by which time they've set some aside. Most of the staff know my habit and are very eager to have my needs met.  And they let me place a special order in late November as well.

          Last year the US printed about 2,000,000,000 new one dollar bills.  That's 2 billion. They should nearly always be available.

          JS Hedegard

          "Laughter is a lifestyle"

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 26, 2013

            >I am nearly always able to get new $1's at my local bank (Chase), no matter what time of year. >Whether I ask for a strap of them (100) or fewer, it is rare that I am not accommodated.   JS Hedegard

            Just back from the OUSA Convention. I can not go to a Chase Bank since I live in the Country. Twenty years ago when I moved here, there was still undeveloped land in my area. Farmland was not far away - and still is there but shrinking.

            I have been able to get new money in November and December. I was even able to get an additional $100 last January. I was just lucky to score some more at my bank - more were available at our new members bank.

            Mark