Help with Stephen Hecht elephant

  • geez....take a
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
      Hello fellow folder!!!

      I have recently purchased an App called Origami, but they are all dollar origami folds. I am desperately trying to fold Stephen Hecht elephant. I am stuck on step 10.

      Reading the diagrams are tough!! Pretty much the only way I learn is thru YouTube videos.

      I have bought money DVD on origami folding and I do fine, reading a pattern is hard.

      Please help..

      Thanks!!

      Jenny
    • Kathy Knapp
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
        Jenny,

        Learning to read diagrams is like learning a new language.  Yet, when understood, all the markings really do make sense. Studying this contents of this link my offer help.  Even if you think you understand, take a piece of paper, and try each step.  When yours doesn't look quite like the step, try again.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origami_techniques

        Hang in there, and keep practicing - you will get it.
        Kathy Knapp,
        Peoria, Illinois, USA
        Do well your part today. - Juliette Gordon Low

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
          Do you have a link to the sale of the app I’ve got a couple and neither has an elephant…

          --
        • Jenny Ward
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2013
            Unfortunately I don't have a link .. But it goes for I believe 1.99 every model is a Stephen Hecht design

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jan 1, 2013, at 9:28 PM, David Donahue <davidwires@...> wrote:

            Do you have a link to the sale of the app I’ve got a couple and neither has an elephant…

            --

          • Gulledge, Bo (DOC)
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
              Can anyone tell if the author of the app has obtained permission from the authors of the origami designs to sell them?

              Bo

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
                Hi Jenny

                Is this any clearer ?

                --> http://users.datarealm.com/hecht/origami/diags/elephant.pdf

                Mark

                --- In moneyfolders_unite@yahoogroups.com, "geez....take a" <JennyTeddyBear@...> wrote:

                > Hello fellow folder!!!
                >
                > I have recently purchased an App called Origami, but they are all dollar origami folds. I am desperately trying to fold Stephen Hecht elephant. I am stuck on step 10.
                >
                > Reading the diagrams are tough!! Pretty much the only way I learn is thru YouTube videos.
                >
                > I have bought money DVD on origami folding and I do fine, reading a pattern is hard.
                >
                > Please help..
                >
                > Thanks!!
                >
                > Jenny

              • David Donahue
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2013
                  I could find no app on apples website and the ones that are, are extremely simple models. I’ve been to Mr Hecht’s website and he has no link to purchase an app listed there. Any app I have has a link within itself to find its origin, so where this app exists is a mystery…
                  David

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                    The elephant is indeed a tricky model! Kudos for the attempt. Unlike the seller talked about here, Stephen has given me permission to use his models in my videos! I will try to get a help video up for this model soon. Still very busy with work, but I always try to make time for some origami.

                    -e

                    --- In moneyfolders_unite@yahoogroups.com, "geez....take a" wrote:

                    > Hello fellow folder!!!
                    >
                    > I have recently purchased an App called Origami, but they are all dollar origami folds. I am desperately trying to fold Stephen Hecht elephant. I am stuck on step 10.
                    >
                    > Reading the diagrams are tough!! Pretty much the only way I learn is thru YouTube videos.
                    >
                    > I have bought money DVD on origami folding and I do fine, reading a pattern is hard.
                    >
                    > Please help..
                    >
                    > Thanks!!
                    >
                    > Jenny

                  • Jenny Ward
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 3, 2013
                      Hello!!

                      Thank you so very very much!! If you could rely a message to Stephen, just simply that if he were ever to make a DVD I would but it ASAP!! I love origami in general but it's hard to follow diagrams :(

                      Also maybe like if he ever were to sell videos of individual models that's a great idea. A while ago there was a site where you could purchase a video for $1.00 and it taught origami.

                      I'm part of the San Diego origami chapter.. I haven't gone to a meeting in a long time because they have meeting mainly on Saturdays and I always work Saturdays. It's hard to find people that love origami as much as I do.

                      I'm sorry I'm talking your ear off. It's just I'm very excited about origami and there is not a lot of people that love it like I do.

                      Well good evening!! And Happy New Year!!

                      Thanks a bunch!!

                      Jenny!!!

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Jan 3, 2013, at 9:02 AM, "thebigbluevan" <origamiguy@...> wrote:

                      The elephant is indeed a tricky model! Kudos for the attempt. Unlike the seller talked about here, Stephen has given me permission to use his models in my videos! I will try to get a help video up for this model soon. Still very busy with work, but I always try to make time for some origami.

                      -e

                      --- In moneyfolders_unite@yahoogroups.com, "geez....take a" wrote:

                      > Hello fellow folder!!!
                      >
                      > I have recently purchased an App called Origami, but they are all dollar origami folds. I am desperately trying to fold Stephen Hecht elephant. I am stuck on step 10.
                      >
                      > Reading the diagrams are tough!! Pretty much the only way I learn is thru YouTube videos.
                      >
                      > I have bought money DVD on origami folding and I do fine, reading a pattern is hard.
                      >
                      > Please help..
                      >
                      > Thanks!!
                      >
                      > Jenny

                    • thebigbluevan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 4, 2013
                        There are several videos available for free on Youtube of Stephen's work. I just completed the Martini Glass and have done his flower. Jonakashima has also done several of Mr. Hecht's models, so you do have some freely available videos for your folding pleasure!

                        My Martini Glass video: http://youtu.be/M3Gb5cuSvbg
                        My Flower video: http://youtu.be/T6wyCOF8_0A
                        Jo's Martini glass video: http://youtu.be/R1Wgvgi-tIU
                        Jo's Flower video: http://youtu.be/XZnoLbJi4mc
                        Jo's Arrow and Heart: http://youtu.be/3HJKEmCJwmQ

                        If anyone knows of others, please chime in!