Re: [moneyfolders_unite] copywrite question

  • Chris Lott
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2011
      Right, because registration is part of any copyright suit. It is NOT necessary to have registered the work beforehand, nor is it necessary to start with C&D letters, etc. I've successfully done both.

      In other words, there is no reason to register with the copyright office ahead of time in order to pursue legal action.

      On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM, leslie cefali <ljcefali@...> wrote:

      Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
      No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

      from   U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright in General (FAQ)
      On Jul 31, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Chris Lott wrote:

      On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 4:58 AM, leslie cefali <ljcefali@...> wrote:

      This is true, but to go after someone who violates copyright - you must be registered.

      Not true. Registering provides another means of proof, particularly w/r/t the date of a creation (which helps if someone were to claim they had actually originated the work), but not registering (which is much more often the case) doesn't prevent judicial actions.

      Chris Lott

    • chickiegirl07
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 2, 2011
        Thanks for all the responses...iv heard about the poor mans copyright where you certifiy mail yourself your works...i think i will do that so ill have proof of when it was created..thanks again everyone.. :)

        --- In moneyfolders_unite@yahoogroups.com, Chris Lott <chris@...> wrote:

        > Right, because registration is part of any copyright suit. It is NOT
        > necessary to have registered the work beforehand, nor is it necessary to
        > start with C&D letters, etc. I've successfully done both.
        >
        > In other words, there is no reason to register with the copyright office
        > ahead of time in order to pursue legal action.

        > On Sun, Jul 31, 2011 at 1:36 PM, leslie cefali <ljcefali@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > *Do I have to register with your office to be protected?*
        > > No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment
        > > the work is created. *You will have to register, however, if you wish to
        > > bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.* See Circular 1, *Copyright
        > > Basics*, section "Copyright Registration<http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.pdf>
        > > ."
        > >
        > > from U.S. Copyright Office - Copyright in General (FAQ)<http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html%23register>
        > > On Jul 31, 2011, at 12:18 PM, Chris Lott wrote:
        > >

        > > On Sat, Jul 23, 2011 at 4:58 AM, leslie cefali <ljcefali@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> **
        > >>

        > >> This is true, but to go after someone who violates copyright - you must be
        > >> registered.
        > >>
        > > Not true. Registering provides another means of proof, particularly w/r/t
        > > the date of a creation (which helps if someone were to claim they had
        > > actually originated the work), but not registering (which is much more often
        > > the case) doesn't prevent judicial actions.

        > > --
        > > Chris Lott

      • leslie cefali
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2011
          You should check with a copyright attorney - there are lots of "I
          thinks" about copyright, especially on list servs.
          It is a very complex issue, and one that is difficult to understand.

          Best of luck with your endeavor.