New Hobby

  • Kyle Brinkmann A.A., A. Div., A.S., B.S.
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2005
      I needed a new hobby and ironically an inexpensive one...
      Money Origami seems to be it!
    • John Andrisan
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
        >an inexpensive one...

        and you can save as you fold... I surveyed friends asking how many $bill
        models they have, and responses ranged from none to over $250 worth. This
        included multiple $bill models.
        john
      • French Fry
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
          Can't really say it is inexpensive.. I seem to go through a ton of dollars!!

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 2, 2006
            Happy New Years everyone!  I hope you all had great holidays and some time off!

            Yea.. it does save in that sense.. but I'll be peddling on the street before I unfold some of them :-)  (wish my 2 elephants would procreate -- then there'd at least be some interest).

          • crystalune@webtv.net
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
              Kyle...
              This IS a great hobby...but eventually it becomes quite
              expensive...you seek out the perfect sheets of money...you carefully
              fold...then you set your item up there on a shelf and before you know it
              all of your money is so tied up in items that you won't have the heart
              to take apart... you will stand and stare in awe.
              I have so much of my money folded into unique and entertaining shapes,
              in drawers...stuck on the front of the drawers...on three glass
              shelves...some poked into the purse to leave for tips....so commmmme
              along and join the designer bankers....you too will soon have thousands
              tied up in design and configurements.
              This IS a rewarding interest and we are glad to have you with us.
              MizzN
            • crystalune@webtv.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006
                John is correct..
                I have one Money item that used 30 bills alone!
                MizzN
              • Dribalz@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 3, 2006

                  I have 2 that each use $30.  And many that use 6.  I did a $ F.I.T.--you can see it in the Rick Beech book--that uses 30 bills.  I did a model by Miyuki Kawamura--I think it is called Twistar--that also uses $30.  I have done Thoki Yenn's Umulius Rectangulum --that uses 6. (once made 50 of those for a commission)

                  Vernon Isaac has adapted and taught me many $ folds --I have the tetrahiron in $, dimpled dodecahedrons from 4 bills.  I probably have 250 in folds just sitting around, and always have a spare $250 or 300 at the ready--you never know when the banks gets crispy singles, and I snap them up whenever I can.

                  Andrew Hans

                  "To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all of the miseries of life"
                  -W. Somerset Maugham
                • crystalune@webtv.net
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                    Andrew...
                    I also made two of F.I.T.'s to give as tips to musician friends..and
                    have a third up on my shelf...wish I knew the secret of how to narrow
                    the strips....the ones I have made seem a little wide...I know it was
                    discussed on the other Origami group but seemed to be some sort of
                    unshared secret...so I still don't know.
                    Banks ALWAYS have crisp new bills at Christmas time..I just picked up
                    a sequential batch to make up those airplanes in Duy Nuyen's latest
                    book...please...people, don't start on the Duy subject again. This is a
                    money discussion not technique.
                    I have seperate flat bills in my purse, in the side of the check
                    book...over in a little drawer inside of a nice little folder I made for
                    bills....and it NEVER gets spent for durable goods...hahahaha.
                    I don't have much passion for money per se...but stash all my interest
                    in what can be designed with it. MizzN
                  • French Fry
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                      MizzN
                      you wouldn't by chance have the diagram for the FIT?

                      Happy New Year,
                      -M

                      crystalune@... wrote:
[...]

                      Yahoo! Photos

                    • sherrylee03
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                        Hi All, I have a $F.I.T. on my shelf and the Twistar, and I also have
                        a circle I made from the Modular Cube by Bennett Arnstein. Talk about
                        money sitting around! But I must admit they are very impressive and
                        I'm quite proud of them. I'd have a tough time making them to give
                        away. Sherry
                      • Karen Fortson
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                          For those of us that are really new to this hobby, what in the world is a F.I.T?

                          Karen

                          sherrylee03 <themer@...> wrote:
                          Hi All, I have a $F.I.T. on my shelf and the Twistar, and I also have
                          a circle I made from the Modular Cube by Bennett Arnstein. Talk about
                          money sitting around! But I must admit they are very impressive and
                          I'm quite proud of them. I'd have a tough time making them to give
                          away. Sherry

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        • crystalune@webtv.net
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                            asked if I have the diagram for the FIT...someone help me out here...I
                            know there are websites with this information but I don't happen to know
                            where they are...it is in several books also....this Andrew fellow HAS
                            the answer.
                            MizzN
                          • Dribalz@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 4, 2006
                              FIT-five intersecting tetrahedra can be found here:

                              Andrew

                              "To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all of the miseries of life"
                              -W. Somerset Maugham
                            • frenchfryrisk
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 8, 2006
                                Thanks a bunch!
                                I'll have to try this one when I have a bit more time! Yours looks
                                incredible Andrew!

                                --- In moneyfolders_unite@yahoogroups.com, Dribalz@a... wrote:

                                > FIT-five intersecting tetrahedra can be found here:
                                >
                                > Origami Geometric Constructions or here
                                > http://www.merrimack.edu/~thull/fit.html
                                >
                                > A pic of my $ FIT is here:

                                http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dribalz/detail?.dir=7847&.dnm=8b47.jpg&.