Derivative Origami Folding: Is it yours to do as you like?

  • Alex H
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
      Greetings to all. Since we've been discussing copyright a lot lately, I wanted to get everyone's input on the subject above.

      I would like people to share their opinion on what they think about creator's rights to new origami from combining known existing origami to create new works. For example, the Kawasaki's rose and Herman Lau's flower pot base is used create a rose in a pot. Does the person have rights to publish and do as he/she pleases with this new creation without the permission of the existing artist's permission?

      Copyright wise, I think that the person does not have the permission to do as such since the works for the individual pieces have already been diagrammed which would imply they must get permission to diagram the individual pieces. The only thing new to their creation is how they figured out how to combine the individual pieces. Ethically, I think that the person should always credit the individual creators for their contribution and get permission as well as compensate the original artist if they are going to profit from the other artist's work.

      The other question I have is if they were going to give it away for free and say share it with this forum for instance, does the individual have the right to do that without the other creator's permission?

      Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
    • Mizz N
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
        The subject and object of this group surrounds the use of money. Technically you are asking if we have permission to do what we want with our own money. Folding it to put into your pocket is still a folded dollar bill..who do we ask about that? MizzN
      • Alex H
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2011
          Hi MizzN,

          I am not asking about the folded money. I am talking about rediagramming and publishing derivative origami works from known existing folds like the example I gave with the rose and flower pot base. There's a big difference between doing what you want with your money and publishing and sharing origami diagrams of origami works that were partiall created by others. I hope that clarifies my question more.

          -Alex

          --- In moneyfolders_unite@yahoogroups.com, Mizz N <crystalune@...> wrote:

          > The subject and object of this group surrounds the use of money. Technically you are asking if we have permission to do what we want with our own money. Folding it to put into your pocket is still a folded dollar bill..who do we ask about that? MizzN

        • Gulledge, Bo (DOC)
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011

            I think everyone will find Robert J. Lang’s origami copyright info a worthwhile read on this topic:

            http://www.langorigami.com/info/copyright.php4

            Best Regards,

            Bo

          • Alex H
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
              Thanks Bo for the link.

              It's very clear from Robert's description that the derivative work still would need permission if there is something to be profitted. Personal use is okay, but everything else would need permission from the original artist as it is the creative/intellectual property of the original creator.

              --- In moneyfolders_unite@yahoogroups.com, "Gulledge, Bo (DOC)" <bo.gulledge@...> wrote:

              > I think everyone will find Robert J. Lang's origami copyright info a
              > worthwhile read on this topic:
              >

              > http://www.langorigami.com/info/copyright.php4
              >

              > Best Regards,
              >

              > Bo

            • Alys Sun
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 4, 2011
                Hello,

                I've been reading all the comments on copyright infringement and I have to say that it would be a perfect world if we all got the permission granted by the original artist, but isn't that what all artistry is all about?  We see the works of others and we find ways to make it our own.
                I see your point about the Kawasaki Rose, but on the other hand would the " Flower Pot Base" have been possible without the adaption?  We all take others' "creations" and make it our own, but I agree with you on the point that we should give credit where credit is due.  Often people are excited with what they have to share and maybe forget to share with others where they obtained the original idea...so maybe we could be more understanding of it.
                On the other hand what Edgar the Pirate has done was on the shady side and maybe we should hear what he has to say before we judge.  We all do things we regret, and just hope that maybe people will be more compassionate about the wrongs we do, for whatever reasons they may be.
                I just hate to see dissension amongst a group that has been wonderful thus far...
                Maybe Edgar should be banned for a couple of months...just kidding!  I think he has gotten quite a thrashing and may modify his behavior in the future.  : )

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 6, 2011
                  LOL,

                  Enjoy your folding.

                  I think I'll take up painting.

                  Anybody know where I can get a copy of the Mona Lisa.

                  xoxoxoxo to all

                  Edgar