seeking advice

  • manbaby00
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2011

      hi guys,

      I'm a beginning origamist.I've made the f-18 hornet,8pointed star,butterfly among others,all of which have come out pretty good.My question is: are tutorials the best way to go when you have no one to teach you hands on? b/caz i am having alot of difficulty following out of books(mind you i only have1 by Duy & Tramy Nguyen:Traditional Japanese Origami).They are frustrating to me.Some of the cool creations i see in books i'd like to make but can't find any tutorials.pleazzzzzzzzz help me.......origami is my new best friend.  lol.!!

    • Rodney
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
        I like the movies, some don't. But I think learning some basics from a book is a better way to start.

        Duy Nguyen tends to make up his own bases and do fairly complicated models. Also uses cutting a lot in his non-dollar bill based models.

        Starting with some more traditional Japanese origami would be my suggestion. Do some of the simple models from movies to master the basic folds. My library has a fair number of origami books. (Oddly, Duy Nguyen is heavily featured which seems peculiar to me as he is so atypical and not Japanese).
      • Kathy Knapp
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2011
          The British Origami Society has some great videos on the basics.
           http://britishorigami.info/practical/videos.php
          Other than Nguyen, almost any other origami book is good.  Remember to read and fold along with the opening pages, and start at the beginning of the book.  Then when you get to the ones at the end, you will understand what the author is having you do.  There is a common language to origami, but each designer/author can have a bit different way of having you do a fold.
          I am self taught from books.  And there is something to be said for learning on ones own, you find many ways to do it wrong, but then you are able to teach others, and you know where they are likely to be confused, and how to help them understand what went wrong, and how to fit it.
          Hang in there, it is worth the time. Perhaps money folding is not the best place to learn the basics, either.  There are other origami lists out there.
          Kathy Knapp,
          Peoria, Illinois, USA

          Do well your part today.-  Juliette Gordon Low

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011

            >>> manbaby00 wrote: Some of the cool creations I see in books I'd like to make but can't find any tutorials. pls help me.

            You’ve folded some complex models, but may not have learned some of the foundations. I strongly recommend that you go to Amazon, etc. and spend a few bucks on John Montroll’s excellent dollar folding books:

            Dollar Bill Origami (2003) $5- 10  USD

            class=MsoNormal>Dollar Bill Animals in Origami (2000) $5 – 10 USD

            Easy Dollar Bill Origami (2010)  I haven’t seen this one, but recommend the two older books for a broader experience with  more interesting models.

            - Hank Simon

          • monkix7
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2011
              Despite this being a money folders group, and I respect that, I am going to tell you that in my case I got my foundation from normal (from a square) models that utilize the handful of traditional bases. And then once I peaked and interest in folding dollars it was a very simple transition.

              --- In moneyfolders_unite@yahoogroups.com, "manbaby00" <abduzone2000@...> wrote:

              > hi guys,
              >
              > I'm a beginning origamist.I've made the f-18 hornet,8pointed
              > star,butterfly among others,all of which have come out pretty good.My
              > question is: are tutorials the best way to go when you have no one to
              > teach you hands on? b/caz i am having alot of difficulty following out
              > of books(mind you i only have1 by Duy & Tramy Nguyen:Traditional
              > Japanese Origami).They are frustrating to me.Some of the cool creations
              > i see in books i'd like to make but can't find any
              > tutorials.pleazzzzzzzzz help me.......origami is my new best friend.
              > lol.!!

            • RodneyG
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2011
                If you like Montroll's other books, Easy Dollar Bill Origami is interesting and pretty cheap. (Assuming you can find it locally or avoid shipping charges on-line). The models are in general very simple, some almost rudimentary, so essentially a good book for kids or beginners.

                Just my opinion, of course.