OUSA Convention in New York

  • orudorumagi11
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      First of all I would like to say that I'm really glad that the Koi tutorial is helping out. I'm sure Michael Sanders would be very pleased also.

      I am so proud of our group, to see it grow so large and strong. I know there were a lot of fly by night members who became members just for the Koi, but I still see a lot of new members and activity. Thank you all for keep this group strong. Also a big thank you to Ron for being a great Moderator.

      OK all that aside, Now who's going to attend the Convention in New York this year? I will be there this year so I think we should all get together there. Let's all meet up in the hopitality room and fold together.

      If anyone has any other ideas please feel free to let us know.

      I'm looking forward to see you guys there.

      Won Park
    • Jennifer Gerring
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009
        I will be at the convention. Please let me know what time we will meet. Great idea to get together!

        Thank you,
        Jennifer Gerring

      • Dribalz@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 3, 2009

          Hi Won:

          As always, for the 13th year in a row, I will be there.

          Look forward to seeing you.

          Andrew

          "To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all of the miseries of life"
          -W. Somerset Maugham

        • c smurf
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
            Good Morning Everyone,

            I will be there. Although I am not as great a folder as Won and a lot of others here, I do appreciate everyone's assistance and the tutorial for the koi is great! It has helped me out a great deal. Thank you for that to all who put it together. I would love to be able to get together at the convention and fold with the experts and those like myself. I have come a long way thanks to a lot of people. Shout out to Marcio, Alfred, Cye, Dorothy, Ron, Mark, Arlene, and quite a few others.

            I have always wanted to meet Won. When you do have your book out, I will be buying it! He has spectacular models! I've met a few other people at different meetings. They have been great. I look forward to meeting with you Won, and folding with you. Are you going to teach anything at the convention? If so, which one of your great models?

            Thank you again to all who have helped by email, or in person!

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009

              Hi everyone,

              I am new to the list. I attended the 2000 convention and will be there this year again.

              I would like help with a model in Crane Origami (a delightful book with slightly unintelligible instructions on occasion) – a sitting crane receptacle for which I get flummoxed and totally stuck towards the end. If I bring the diagrams I hope someone can help me!
              Also I am interested in some tips. I have folded things as difficult as the La Fosse happy bat years ago and most of Montrolls money folds such as the camel and giraffe, but for me all these are in the difficult level (whereas to some I am sure these are pretty easy).I would like to know some basic things such as, if the paper is not absolutely square, is it more important that the points meet exactly, or that the corners form sharply, if one has to choose. I would also like to know if there is to make sink folds easier…..these are beginning technical questions which I hope someone can help with.

              In addition, I am getting a feel for what less that totally specific diagrams leave out, but are there tricks to reading diagrams? I feel dyslexic half the time and also find some simply impossible to understand (such as above mentioned crane dilemma). This is no doubt due mostly to the difficulties of expressing 3 dimensional objects flat, but also occasionally to less that precise instructions.

              Thanks for any help. I will be arriving on Friday and leaving Monday and hope to learn some animal money folds in particular, and also any new cranes that may be out there!

              My favorite models (so far anyway) are the traditional crane (and some of the more lovely variations), linked cranes, particularly the mother holding baby overhead by tips of her wings (which I still cannot believe I actually folded), John Cowlings armadillo (WOW) and a simple horse that expresses the  essence of horse rather than anatomy.

              I am looking for a “sense of a camel” and “sense of a seahorse” model (as opposed to one trying to show true life in detail).

              See you there!
              Frances

            • BK Webb
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
                Won et al.

                > OK all that aside, Now who's going to attend the Convention in New York this year?

                I will be there this year and am looking forward to seeing you again, and anyone else from the forum.

                Brian K. Webb
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/bkwebb
              • jweiss9768@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2009
                  I shall be there

                  not the best folder

                  but always willing to try and learn

                  could use some help also with Lau flower in Pot

                  thanks

                  John B Weiss

                  Brooklyn New york
                • fayeg