Re: [moneyfolders_unite] ATTN: Copyright Infringement

  • Barbara Turner
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2009

      Hello,

      Thank you for sending the email.  I will indeed put together an email to send.

      Let me tell you my recent story.  I was approached by a photography studio In NY to fold some origami.  I was cautious with their request and tried to steer them to doing their own work and directed them to books  - but reminding them of the copyright issues.  I would not fold someone else's model for them to photography unless there was something in writing and they had previously contacted the author of the model for permission for me to fold it for them to photograph.  (I knew what would come of that....)  .     Some time went by and they said they tried to fold or their model maker didn't have any success, did I fold cranes and things?  .  (now they knew I did, having been to my website)    .   Again I proceeded very carefully.   I made them ask for origami and then I explained about pubic domain or anonnymous models we all fold,   and how I would not fold complicated models by other authors for them to photograph.     Ok so we agreed on some simple standard models - no copyright issues, but still I questioned the usage, and why they were photographing.     We agreed on a price and rules of this game!

      Long story short they withheld information, they lied, they perpetrated a fraud,    I only fold origami that was legal to fold and sell or photograph, but I wanted to know the usage of photos of my work and asked more queestions.     I simply wanted to be paid for my work as an artist and know the usage.  I didn't want my orgiam showing up in a porn video!  or be in a big TV commercial (and i got no credit or proper $)   on on the book of another artist! and not get credit etc.   Still i was mislead to believe the origami photographs were to be used only on their website and we agreed to a usage fee.    Imagine my surprise to find my orgami was in fact ordered by a huge big stock agency, and used in a Blackberry ad without proper compensation etc.   And there's more...!     But another time.

         I had to retain the services of an attorney and I got a good one, hard hitting in the "Intellectual Property" and Copyright issues area.  I would be happy to refer him.    My issue is not completely resolved and I may still sue the stock agency and Blackberry.. but I can recommend this attorney.

      Now that he is a bit more familiar with the origami issues and infringements of such, you might want to contact him... it's time all origami artists t -even us little guys...  send a message!   They use and abuse our origami online or in print,  because they know the Robert Langs, and other big names  - will ask for contracts and royalties and they wouldn't try to approach or take advantage of the big names in origami.    They just steal our stuff.   I say make some big noise!  We need to alert all the origami associations and agencies.  I intend to.    I intend to use my name and expreiences to expose these  issues and warn other artists!

      The attorney is Benjamin Kaminash, in Portland, Oregon,   you can find him online and contact him by phone or email.   My work and my personal integrity are very very important to me as an origami artist and I would never infringe on the rights of another artist.  But I will join the fight when another artists work is used or abused!

      B Turner,  Origami Artist

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2009
        I sent my 3cents.

        Jan Dufour