RE: making the group private

  • Douglas Marston
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2009
      Won,
      I would hate to see the group go private,
      My understanding is that the whole point of the group was/is to find folders and share our passion.
      While a private group would stop any spam, it might also discourage others from joining.
      Personally, I would rather see an open group and deal with the little bit of spam.

      Just my humble opinion.

      Douglas
    • onlymecb
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
        I'm new to this list, but have owned several yahoogroups before and would
        like to make this suggestion to combat the hit and run spammers......if the
        owner/moderator sets new members to moderation then they will receive an
        email when a new member makes a post. If the post is appropriate to the
        list they would approve the message and then can take that member off
        moderation. If the message is spam, they delete both the message and
        member. It's a bit more work for the moderator, but ensures that only
        valid members and their messages will get through to the list.

        I don't know how big/busy this group is so don't know if it's just a few new
        members joining each month or a daily thing. If the moderator decides they
        don't have the time/desire for this extra work, I totally understand. In
        that case I too would rather see this stay an open list and put up with a
        little spam.....I would not have ever found this list had it been private,
        and I have learned a great deal already. I joined to learn how to fold
        money for a vacation to DisneyWorld where I wanted to leave the tip money in
        a fun shape. While I can't say that my efforts were great, I did have
        several waitresses come after us while we left saying it was very cool way
        to leave a tip. I hope to improve my skills and continue this practice
        even while not on vacation, lol. I can't tip big, but I can at least make
        it interesting!

        Thanks again for everyone's efforts to bring this art form to us newbies!

        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
          I also would hate to see the group go private.  I think initially moderating new members is a good move, then unmoderating them after an appropriate posting.

          Another thing to look at however....  the recent spam we all received wasn't posted messages.  They placed the spam in the calendar every half hour with it recurring every day.  Why not put the calendar postings for owner/moderator only.  If there is a true event, the moderator or owner can approve it and post it.  That would have eliminated the recent spam we all received.

          Just my 2 cents worth.....

          Cindy

        • Nicolette Shin
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
            my name is not won
            and stop e-mailing me!!!

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009

              Just my $.02...

              While I have never owned a group, so I don't have a clue of the work involved, I have to agree that I would have missed out BIGTIME if the group was private.  I'd hate to think of all the potential new cool people with advice, fun and models we'd miss...

              onlymecb...what a neat idea!  I'd never thought of folding a tip...I too am very lean in the wallet and I think this is a great idea!

              Happy New Year Everyone!

              RM

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                --- On Fri, 1/2/09, WyldeMage <wyldemage@...> wrote:

                  I'd never thought of folding a tip...I too am very lean in the wallet and I think this is a great idea!

                -----

                I have been forced to learn more $ folds to leave as tips, as we often eat at the same place. I also use folded money for graduation gifts, often shirt and pants and make a comment that they can purchase one of their own choice and size. Shirt and pants fit nicely with a bit of rolled scotch tape into a greeting card - I often fold the card and envelope, too.

                Having the first post be moderated seems to make sense. Really we haven't had too much spam.

                Kathy Knapp

                .
              • hibrida
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                  On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 16:13:57 -0800 (PST), Kathy Knapp wrote
                  >   I'd never thought of folding a tip...I too am very lean in the
                  > wallet and I think this is a great idea!

                  My favorite is frog-with-a-coin-in-its-mouth. I prefer the Sacajawea dollars with Susan B. Anthony as
                  second choice, or quarters if I desire a lesser total.

                  Higher value bills can also be used too.

                  Diane Hare
                • Juston Hairgrove
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                    Are there diagrams for that model?  I've never heard of it.

                    Thanks,
                    Juston.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 2, 2009
                      > My favorite is frog-with-a- coin-in-its- mouth. I prefer the
                      > Sacajawea dollars with Susan B. Anthony as
                      > second choice, or quarters if I desire a lesser total.
                      > Higher value bills can also be used too.

                      http://drunk-fu.com/money/creature/creature/frog-lucky01.html

                      The Guide to Hawaiian-Style Money Folds by Jodi Fukumoto

                      I have the book and keep it with travel/vacation supplies, along with coins and a few crisp bills.

                      Diane Hare
                    • Kathy Knapp
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 3, 2009
                        --- On Fri, 1/2/09, hibrida <hibrida@...> wrote:

                        My favorite is frog-with-a- coin-in-its- mouth. I prefer the Sacajawea dollars with Susan B. Anthony as

                        second choice, or quarters if I desire a lesser total.

                        Higher value bills can also be used too.

                        ----

                        There are several folds that work well with the great back of the US $2 bill. Some peacocks, a Florence Temko's tree, and on Annie's Spinner the 2's look like 22!

                        I got to the bank as purchase two dollar bills, as I do not get them in change. The gold dollars will work in the Change of Heart.

                        Kathy Knapp