Re: mp2 shared vs. static build - pros & cons?

  • Frank Wiles
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2005
      On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:37:36 -0400
      Jeff Ambrosino <jbambrosino@...> wrote:

      > In anticipation of upgrading my mp2 build to the latest/greatest, I
      > would like to consider switching from a DSO build to a static build.
      > Could folks here offer their opinions on pros/cons in terms of
      > performance/memory, etc? FYI my environment is httpd 2.0.55, prefork
      > MPM, Perl 5.8.6 (w/threads), on Linux 2.6 kernel.

      While in mp1 DSO had some stability issues, I believe current wisdom
      is that there is very little difference between DSO and static. So
      I would go with DSO.

      If you're looking for a performance gain, recompile your Perl to not
      use threads and you'll see a boost.

      ---------------------------------
      Frank Wiles <frank@...>
      http://www.wiles.org
      ---------------------------------
    • Philip M. Gollucci
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2005
        Frank Wiles wrote:
        > While in mp1 DSO had some stability issues, I believe current wisdom
        > is that there is very little difference between DSO and static. So
        > I would go with DSO.
        >
        > If you're looking for a performance gain, recompile your Perl to not
        > use threads and you'll see a boost.
        Ditto.

        --
        END