mp2 shared vs. static build - pros & cons?

  • Jeff Ambrosino
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 27, 2005
      In anticipation of upgrading my mp2 build to the latest/greatest, I
      would like to consider switching from a DSO build to a static build.
      Could folks here offer their opinions on pros/cons in terms of
      performance/memory, etc? FYI my environment is httpd 2.0.55, prefork
      MPM, Perl 5.8.6 (w/threads), on Linux 2.6 kernel.

      thanks
      JB
    • Frank Wiles
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 27, 2005
        On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 17:37:36 -0400
        Jeff Ambrosino <jbambrosino@...> wrote:

        > In anticipation of upgrading my mp2 build to the latest/greatest, I
        > would like to consider switching from a DSO build to a static build.
        > Could folks here offer their opinions on pros/cons in terms of
        > performance/memory, etc? FYI my environment is httpd 2.0.55, prefork
        > MPM, Perl 5.8.6 (w/threads), on Linux 2.6 kernel.

        While in mp1 DSO had some stability issues, I believe current wisdom
        is that there is very little difference between DSO and static. So
        I would go with DSO.

        If you're looking for a performance gain, recompile your Perl to not
        use threads and you'll see a boost.

        ---------------------------------
        Frank Wiles <frank@...>
        http://www.wiles.org
        ---------------------------------
      • Philip M. Gollucci
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 28, 2005
          Frank Wiles wrote:
          > While in mp1 DSO had some stability issues, I believe current wisdom
          > is that there is very little difference between DSO and static. So
          > I would go with DSO.
          >
          > If you're looking for a performance gain, recompile your Perl to not
          > use threads and you'll see a boost.
          Ditto.

          --
          END