Re: Suggestions for creating an archive

  • Dermot Paikkos
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 2, 2005
      On 2 Sep 2005 at 10:20, Perrin Harkins wrote:

      > On Fri, 2005-09-02 at 11:34 +0100, Dermot Paikkos wrote:

      > I don't really understand why you have two scripts. You should just let
      > apache handle serving the zip as a static file. It's much better at
      > that than any script you write will be, since it handles If-Modified-
      > Since, range requests, and all the other HTTP goodies.

      Another good point because I did notice during testing that I had to
      completely shut the browser (FF and IE) to see get the browser
      make the request again. I would make a little change to the handler,
      restart apache but the messages I printed to STDERR weren't going
      to the log.

      I suspected that as the uri /file_export wasn't changed the browser
      just tried to download the static page/file again. I might need to read
      the doc on the issuing correct headers.

      > Anyway, glad to hear you persevered and got it working. Congrats!

      I have to fight other fires now but I will look at what you've sent when
      I return to that part of the project again. I have a lot of tiding up to do
      to it and I will see if I can use one handler instead of 2.

      Thanx again.
      Dp.

      > - Perrin

      ~~
      Dermot Paikkos * dermot@...
      Network Administrator @ Science Photo Library
      Phone: 0207 432 1100 * Fax: 0207 286 8668