Is there a bug in Apache 2, ModPerl 2 or APR for data larger than 64k?

  • Sive Lindmark
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
      Hi!

      Have used mod_perl 2.0 and newer for a while and it have worked very
      well on Mac OS X and Free BSD servers. Now on a Xserve with Mac Os 10.4
      the following happens. Requesting a web page with little contents works
      okey but an bigger contents the loading always stops in the middle with
      the following error message in error_log.

      (35)Resource temporarily unavailable: core_output_filter: writing data
      to the network

      The error is coming in different places in the code but always about
      half the page so searching the web I found some stuff. "There is a bug
      in APR 0.9.6 that is present when it is running on Tiger, and shows up
      when you attempt to check out a file larger than 64K."
      http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#tiger-apr-0.9.6'

      If this the cause of our problem I sought that by installing the latest
      versions of mod_perl and apache2 (SERVER_SOFTWARE = Apache/2.1.6 (Unix)
      mod_perl/2.0.2-dev Perl/v5.8.6) could fix this..... but no

      I also tried setting a environment variable before configuring Apache
      and modPerl2 suggested as fix above.
      "Currently, the best solution is to rebuild Apache from their
      respective sources, setting the following environment variable before
      running configure for Apache in Bourne shell syntax, like this:
      ac_cv_func_poll=no; export ac_cv_func_poll "

      Now I have no more ideas about what to do.... any suggestions?
      What APR version is there in latest mod_perl? Can the bug above still
      be there or ...

      Thanks in forehand!
      Sive
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
        Sive Lindmark wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > Have used mod_perl 2.0 and newer for a while and it have worked very
        > well on Mac OS X and Free BSD servers. Now on a Xserve with Mac Os 10.4
        > the following happens. Requesting a web page with little contents works
        > okey but an bigger contents the loading always stops in the middle with
        > the following error message in error_log.
        >
        > (35)Resource temporarily unavailable: core_output_filter: writing data
        > to the network
        >
        > The error is coming in different places in the code but always about
        > half the page so searching the web I found some stuff. "There is a bug
        > in APR 0.9.6 that is present when it is running on Tiger, and shows up
        > when you attempt to check out a file larger than 64K."
        > http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#tiger-apr-0.9.6'
        >
        > If this the cause of our problem I sought that by installing the latest
        > versions of mod_perl and apache2 (SERVER_SOFTWARE = Apache/2.1.6 (Unix)
        > mod_perl/2.0.2-dev Perl/v5.8.6) could fix this..... but no
        >
        > I also tried setting a environment variable before configuring Apache
        > and modPerl2 suggested as fix above.
        > "Currently, the best solution is to rebuild Apache from their respective
        > sources, setting the following environment variable before running
        > configure for Apache in Bourne shell syntax, like this:
        > ac_cv_func_poll=no; export ac_cv_func_poll "
        >
        > Now I have no more ideas about what to do.... any suggestions?

        As it seem that the bug is in libapr you should make sure to use the
        latest. It's possible that you are still using the old library. Try

        ldd httpd

        and see which libapr.so it links to.

        > What APR version is there in latest mod_perl? Can the bug above still
        > be there or ...

        libapr is either installed separately or/and while installing apache, it
        has not much to do with mod_perl, besides mod_perl providing a perl glue
        for it.

      • Sive Lindmark
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 4, 2005
          Hi!

          > As it seem that the bug is in libapr you should make sure to use the
          > latest. It's possible that you are still using the old library. Try
          >
          > ldd httpd
          >
          > and see which libapr.so it links to.
          100:/Users/boka/modperl-2.0 root# otool -L /Library/Apache2/bin/httpd
          /Library/Apache2/bin/httpd:
          /usr/local/apache2/lib/libaprutil-1.0.dylib (compatibility
          version 2.0.0, current version 2.1.0)
          /usr/local/apache2/lib/libexpat.0.dylib (compatibility version
          2.0.0, current version 2.0.0)
          /usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current
          version 5.0.0)
          /usr/local/apache2/lib/libapr-1.0.dylib (compatibility version
          2.0.0, current version 2.1.0)
          /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0,
          current version 88.0.0)
          /usr/lib/libmx.A.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
          version 92.0.0)

          Installed the latest snapshot from APR. apr_20050804222905.tar.gz and
          after that when building Apache I got an other problem.

          /usr/local/apr/build-1/libtool --silent --mode=compile gcc -g -O2
          -DDARWIN -DSIGPROCMASK_SETS_THREAD_MASK -no-cpp-precomp
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/srclib/pcre -I.
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/os/unix
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/server/mpm/prefork
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/modules/http
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/modules/filters
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/modules/proxy
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/include
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/modules/generators
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/modules/mappers
          -I/usr/local/apr/include/apr-1 -I/usr/local/apache2/include
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/modules/proxy/../generators
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/modules/ssl
          -I/Users/boka/httpd-2.1.6-alpha/modules/dav/main -prefer-non-pic
          -static -c exports.c && touch exports.lo
          exports.c:1572: error: redefinition of 'ap_hack_apr_allocator_create'
          exports.c:687: error: previous definition of
          'ap_hack_apr_allocator_create' was here
          exports.c:1573: error: redefinition of 'ap_hack_apr_allocator_destroy'
          exports.c:688: error: previous definition of
          'ap_hack_apr_allocator_destroy' was here

          but as the problem is not with modPerl I think it is best that I take
          this to the APR mailing list

          Thank's for your answer

          Hälsningar från Sverige / Sive