Re: Trying to get File and Directory info off of external server quickly

  • Boysenberry Payne
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
      I've already got it working using Net::FTP. The problem is it runs
      slow using FTP. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:

      my $h = $ftp->{handle};
      foreach my $directory ( @directories ) {
      $h->cwd( $directory ) or die "can't change to directory: $directory
      $!";
      my $dir_ls = $h->ls;
      foreach my $file_name ( @$dir_ls ) {
      unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {
      my $dir_nfo = $h->dir( $directory . $file_name );
      $_ = $dir_nfo->[ 0 ];
      s/(\s)+/ /g;
      my @file_nfo = split / /, $_;
      my $file_size = $file_nfo[ 4 ];
      if( $file_size != 0 ) {
      add to database
      $h->quit;

      I tried using ftp->size( $directory . $file_name );
      But it seems to only return a size for small files,
      at least on my OSX box.

      Thanks,
      Boysenberry

      This message contains information that is confidential
      and proprietary to Humaniteque and / or its affiliates.
      It is intended only for the recipient named and for
      the express purpose(s) described therein.
      Any other use is prohibited.

      http://www.habitatlife.com
      The World's Best Site Builder
      On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

      > Boysenberry Payne wrote:
      >> I'm not sure if HEAD would work.
      >> Basically, I'm trying to read a directory's files.
      >> After I confirm a file exists and doesn't have zero
      >> size I check that it has the appropriate extension
      >> for the directory then I add the directory address,
      >> file name and extension to a table in our database.
      > We actually do something very similar to this involving pictures being
      > uploaded from a digital camera to eventually be published on a
      > website.
      >
      > Cronjob1:
      > Poll destination directory and move the files to a temp location
      > The destination directory is where the camera puts them.
      >
      > Cronjob2:
      > Poll temp directory and move image into permenent
      > location andinsert a row into our "images" table.
      >
      > Its split only so that if some part breaks the uploading from camera's
      > does not and people can continue to upload from camera's. Digital
      > camera's [at least the ones the government uses :)] upload with the
      > same non-unique file names for each upload, so we have to process each
      > batch rather quickly.
      >
      > I didn't write this, but I can say in 3 years its only crashed once
      > and makes us millions.
      >
      > [snipped for breviety of course]
      > Cronjob1:
      >
      > use Net::FTP;
      > my $ftp = Net::FTP->new($PEERADDR, Debug => 0, Timeout => 30)
      > || die "Connect to server failed\n";
      > $ftp->login($USERNAME, $PASSWORD)
      > || die "Cannot login to FTP server\n";
      > $ftp->binary();
      >
      > my @files = $ftp->ls('-R');
      > foreach my $file (@files) {
      > unless some critera
      > $ftp->get("$dir/$file", $localFilename);
      > }
      > $ftp->quit();

    • Randy Kobes
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
        On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Boysenberry Payne wrote:

        > I'm not sure if HEAD would work.
        > Basically, I'm trying to read a directory's files.
        > After I confirm a file exists and doesn't have zero
        > size I check that it has the appropriate extension
        > for the directory then I add the directory address,
        > file name and extension to a table in our database.

        Can you get someone on the remote server to do a
        cd top_level_directory
        ls -lR > ls-lR # or find -fls find-ls
        gzip ls-lR # or gzip find-ls
        periodically, and then you can grab and parse ls-lR.gz or
        find-ls.gz?

        --
        best regards,
        randy kobes
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
          Boysenberry Payne wrote:
          > my $h = $ftp->{handle};
          > foreach my $directory ( @directories ) {
          > $h->cwd( $directory ) or die "can't change to directory: $directory
          > $!";
          > my $dir_ls = $h->ls;
          > foreach my $file_name ( @$dir_ls ) {
          > unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {
          > my $dir_nfo = $h->dir( $directory . $file_name );
          > $_ = $dir_nfo->[ 0 ];
          > s/(\s)+/ /g;
          > my @file_nfo = split / /, $_;
          > my $file_size = $file_nfo[ 4 ];
          > if( $file_size != 0 ) {
          > add to database
          > $h->quit;
          Whats this ftp->{handle} stuff ?
          Shouldn't it just be $ftp->xxx
          Thats not in perldoc Net::FTP.

          Are you using a relatively new version of it ?
          We've got Net::FTP 2.75,
          Linux wickedwitch 2.6.12.3 #2 SMP Mon Jul 18 17:14:55 EDT 2005 i686 i686
          i386 GNU/Linux

          What is the file size check for .. why do you have files of size 0 ?

          I think it might be faster to do

          next unless $file_name =~ /^\./o;

          instead of
          > unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {

          It might be your database connection... Do you prepare the handle
          outside of the loop? Is the database connect/disconnect outside of the
          loop? What are you inserting into the database ? If you're inserting a
          BLOB of the image/file data it could be the bandwidth transfer now thats
          its not a local socket anymore.

          Luck

          --
          END
          Philip M. Gollucci
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1, 2005
            $ftp->{handle} = Net::FTP->new( $ftp->{host}, Passive => 1 ) or die
            "Can't create new ftp with host: $ftp->{host}";
            It's part of my FTP module

            On Aug 1, 2005, at 6:31 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

            > Boysenberry Payne wrote:
            >> my $h = $ftp->{handle};
            >> foreach my $directory ( @directories ) {
            >> $h->cwd( $directory ) or die "can't change to directory:
            >> $directory $!";
            >> my $dir_ls = $h->ls;
            >> foreach my $file_name ( @$dir_ls ) {
            >> unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {
            >> my $dir_nfo = $h->dir( $directory . $file_name );
            >> $_ = $dir_nfo->[ 0 ];
            >> s/(\s)+/ /g;
            >> my @file_nfo = split / /, $_;
            >> my $file_size = $file_nfo[ 4 ];
            >> if( $file_size != 0 ) {
            >> add to database
            >> }
            >> }
            >> }
            >> }
            >> $h->quit;
            > Whats this ftp->{handle} stuff ?
            > Shouldn't it just be $ftp->xxx
            > Thats not in perldoc Net::FTP.
            >
            > Are you using a relatively new version of it ?
            > We've got Net::FTP 2.75,
            > Linux wickedwitch 2.6.12.3 #2 SMP Mon Jul 18 17:14:55 EDT 2005 i686
            > i686 i386 GNU/Linux
            >
            > What is the file size check for .. why do you have files of size 0 ?
            >
            > I think it might be faster to do
            >
            > next unless $file_name =~ /^\./o;
            >
            > instead of
            > > unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {
            >
            > It might be your database connection... Do you prepare the handle
            > outside of the loop? Is the database connect/disconnect outside of
            > the loop? What are you inserting into the database ? If you're
            > inserting a BLOB of the image/file data it could be the bandwidth
            > transfer now thats its not a local socket anymore.
            >
            > Luck
            >
            > --
            > END
            > ------
            > Philip M. Gollucci
            > Senior Developer - Liquidity Services Inc.
            > Phone: 202.558.6268 (Direct)
            > Cell: 301.254.5198
            > E-Mail: pgollucci@...
            > Web: http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
            > http://www.liquidation.com
            > http://www.uksurplus.com
            > http://www.govliquidation.com
            > http://www.gowholesale.com

          • Goddard Lee
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
              > From: Philip M. Gollucci [mailto:pgollucci@...]

              > I didn't write this, but ...[it]... makes us millions.

              I trust "you" are putting thousands into perl, mod_perl and other good
              things, then ;)
            • Torsten Foertsch
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                On Monday 01 August 2005 23:12, Boysenberry Payne wrote:
                > Hello All,
                >
                > I've got a two server platform one a static server for files and runs
                > the mysql server
                > and the other runs mod_perl. I'm trying to figure out the fastest way
                > to get info on directories
                > and files from the static server to the mod_perl server. Right now I'm
                > using Net::FTP which
                > is really slow, especially when they're a lot of files. Unfortunately,
                > I need to check the file info
                > quite frequently. I was wondering if anyone knew what was the fast way
                > to get this info, LDAP,
                > SSH, etc?

                mod_dav may be an option.

                Torsten
              • Boysenberry Payne
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 2, 2005
                  Thank You Everyone,

                  I think now that I know I can use $ftp->ls( "-lR" ), which I couldn't
                  find
                  anywhere in the Net::FTP docs or other O'Reilly books I have, I can
                  stick to Net::FTP without is being slow. What was causing my script
                  to take so long was the multiple $ftp->cwd( $directory ), $ftp->ls() and
                  $ftp->dir( $directory . $file ) calls for each directory in my
                  directory loop.

                  Now I use one cwd and ls("-lR") from my public html area then process
                  the return array, which is a lot faster. It would be nice to be able
                  to specify
                  the directory as well as the "-lR" without using cwd( $directory ); does
                  anyone know how to do it?

                  Thanks for the tips on making my code more efficient too.