Re: Trying to get File and Directory info off of external server quickly

  • Gedanken
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 1 2:28 PM
      On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

      There is a running joke in my office that, no matter what the problem is,
      I simply blame NFS before hearing any details. I am correct a surprising
      amount of the time =)

      One quick caveat - properly unmount volumes when rebooting and such. Due
      to one of those things that somehow grew beyond its original intent, we
      had a network of about 15 machines all mounting each other. NFS
      chokes when a mount it expects to be there, isnt. it takes it several
      minutes to give up. One machine rebooting in such a big spiderweb cluster
      can cause massive problems without proper attention to cleanly unmounting
      and remounting shares. And 'cascading' is usually such a lovely word...

      gedanken

      You might try an NFS mount between the too.

      mount_nfs -L server:/path /local/path
      (FreeBSD)

      --
      gedanken
    • Philip M. Gollucci
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1 2:33 PM
        Gedanken wrote:
        > One quick caveat - properly unmount volumes when rebooting and such. Due
        > to one of those things that somehow grew beyond its original intent, we
        > had a network of about 15 machines all mounting each other. NFS
        > chokes when a mount it expects to be there, isnt. it takes it several
        > minutes to give up. One machine rebooting in such a big spiderweb cluster
        > can cause massive problems without proper attention to cleanly unmounting
        > and remounting shares. And 'cascading' is usually such a lovely word...
        I agree with that whole hardly. (the p6m7g8.net cluster is doing that)
        As long as you don't reboot its great though :)
      • Philippe M. Chiasson
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1 3:12 PM
          Boysenberry Payne wrote:
          > Hello All,
          >
          > I've got a two server platform one a static server for files and
          > runs the mysql server
          > and the other runs mod_perl. I'm trying to figure out the fastest way
          > to get info on directories
          > and files from the static server to the mod_perl server. Right now I'm
          > using Net::FTP which
          > is really slow, especially when they're a lot of files. Unfortunately,
          > I need to check the file info
          > quite frequently. I was wondering if anyone knew what was the fast way
          > to get this info, LDAP,
          > SSH, etc?

          Wouldn't HTTP HEAD request achieve this fairly nicely ?

          I am not sure you have described the actual problem you are trying to solve.
          Why is that information needed and how is it being used?

          http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5
        • Boysenberry Payne
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 1 3:29 PM
            The server system is hosted with a third party, so I was hoping I could
            use
            mod_perl as a solution without resorting to involving them in the
            solution if
            possible. If NFS ends up being the best solution I will ask them
            if they could set it up.

            Thanks,
            Boysenberry

            This message contains information that is confidential
            and proprietary to Humaniteque and / or its affiliates.
            It is intended only for the recipient named and for
            the express purpose(s) described therein.
            Any other use is prohibited.

            http://www.habitatlife.com
            The World's Best Site Builder
            On Aug 1, 2005, at 4:28 PM, Gedanken wrote:

            > On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
            >
            > There is a running joke in my office that, no matter what the problem
            > is,
            > I simply blame NFS before hearing any details. I am correct a
            > surprising
            > amount of the time =)
            >
            > One quick caveat - properly unmount volumes when rebooting and such.
            > Due
            > to one of those things that somehow grew beyond its original intent, we
            > had a network of about 15 machines all mounting each other. NFS
            > chokes when a mount it expects to be there, isnt. it takes it several
            > minutes to give up. One machine rebooting in such a big spiderweb
            > cluster
            > can cause massive problems without proper attention to cleanly
            > unmounting
            > and remounting shares. And 'cascading' is usually such a lovely
            > word...
            >
            > gedanken
            >
            > You might try an NFS mount between the too.
            >
            > mount_nfs -L server:/path /local/path
            > (FreeBSD)
            >

            > --
            > gedanken

          • Philip M. Gollucci
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 1 3:32 PM
              Boysenberry Payne wrote:
              > The server system is hosted with a third party, so I was hoping I could use
              > mod_perl as a solution without resorting to involving them in the
              > solution if
              > possible. If NFS ends up being the best solution I will ask them
              > if they could set it up.
              Specifically what information do you need from this file server ?

              directories, path names, file names, mod_times, access_time times,
              size..... etc ?
            • Boysenberry Payne
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 1 3:36 PM
                I'm not sure if HEAD would work.
                Basically, I'm trying to read a directory's files.
                After I confirm a file exists and doesn't have zero
                size I check that it has the appropriate extension
                for the directory then I add the directory address,
                file name and extension to a table in our database.

                It used to be easy when I was using php on a single
                server system (which is what I'm migrating from.) Now
                that I am using a two server system it's a little tricker.

                On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:

                > Boysenberry Payne wrote:
                >> Hello All,
                >>
                >> I've got a two server platform one a static server for files and
                >> runs the mysql server
                >> and the other runs mod_perl. I'm trying to figure out the fastest way
                >> to get info on directories
                >> and files from the static server to the mod_perl server. Right now
                >> I'm
                >> using Net::FTP which
                >> is really slow, especially when they're a lot of files.
                >> Unfortunately,
                >> I need to check the file info
                >> quite frequently. I was wondering if anyone knew what was the fast
                >> way
                >> to get this info, LDAP,
                >> SSH, etc?
                >
                > Wouldn't HTTP HEAD request achieve this fairly nicely ?
                >
                > I am not sure you have described the actual problem you are trying to
                > solve.
                > Why is that information needed and how is it being used?
                >
                > --
                > Philippe M. Chiasson m/gozer\@(apache|cpan|ectoplasm)\.org/ GPG KeyID
                > : 88C3A5A5
                > http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32
                > A107 88C3A5A5
              • Philip M. Gollucci
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 1 3:54 PM
                  Boysenberry Payne wrote:
                  > I'm not sure if HEAD would work.
                  > Basically, I'm trying to read a directory's files.
                  > After I confirm a file exists and doesn't have zero
                  > size I check that it has the appropriate extension
                  > for the directory then I add the directory address,
                  > file name and extension to a table in our database.
                  We actually do something very similar to this involving pictures being
                  uploaded from a digital camera to eventually be published on a website.

                  Cronjob1:
                  Poll destination directory and move the files to a temp location
                  The destination directory is where the camera puts them.

                  Cronjob2:
                  Poll temp directory and move image into permenent
                  location andinsert a row into our "images" table.

                  Its split only so that if some part breaks the uploading from camera's
                  does not and people can continue to upload from camera's. Digital
                  camera's [at least the ones the government uses :)] upload with the same
                  non-unique file names for each upload, so we have to process each batch
                  rather quickly.

                  I didn't write this, but I can say in 3 years its only crashed once and
                  makes us millions.

                  [snipped for breviety of course]
                  Cronjob1:

                  use Net::FTP;
                  my $ftp = Net::FTP->new($PEERADDR, Debug => 0, Timeout => 30)
                  || die "Connect to server failed\n";
                  $ftp->login($USERNAME, $PASSWORD)
                  || die "Cannot login to FTP server\n";
                  $ftp->binary();

                  my @files = $ftp->ls('-R');
                  foreach my $file (@files) {
                  unless some critera
                  $ftp->get("$dir/$file", $localFilename);
                  }
                  $ftp->quit();
                • Boysenberry Payne
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 1 4:13 PM
                    I've already got it working using Net::FTP. The problem is it runs
                    slow using FTP. Here is an example of what I'm trying to do:

                    my $h = $ftp->{handle};
                    foreach my $directory ( @directories ) {
                    $h->cwd( $directory ) or die "can't change to directory: $directory
                    $!";
                    my $dir_ls = $h->ls;
                    foreach my $file_name ( @$dir_ls ) {
                    unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {
                    my $dir_nfo = $h->dir( $directory . $file_name );
                    $_ = $dir_nfo->[ 0 ];
                    s/(\s)+/ /g;
                    my @file_nfo = split / /, $_;
                    my $file_size = $file_nfo[ 4 ];
                    if( $file_size != 0 ) {
                    add to database
                    $h->quit;

                    I tried using ftp->size( $directory . $file_name );
                    But it seems to only return a size for small files,
                    at least on my OSX box.

                    On Aug 1, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

                    > Boysenberry Payne wrote:
                    >> I'm not sure if HEAD would work.
                    >> Basically, I'm trying to read a directory's files.
                    >> After I confirm a file exists and doesn't have zero
                    >> size I check that it has the appropriate extension
                    >> for the directory then I add the directory address,
                    >> file name and extension to a table in our database.
                    > We actually do something very similar to this involving pictures being
                    > uploaded from a digital camera to eventually be published on a
                    > website.
                    >
                    > Cronjob1:
                    > Poll destination directory and move the files to a temp location
                    > The destination directory is where the camera puts them.
                    >
                    > Cronjob2:
                    > Poll temp directory and move image into permenent
                    > location andinsert a row into our "images" table.
                    >
                    > Its split only so that if some part breaks the uploading from camera's
                    > does not and people can continue to upload from camera's. Digital
                    > camera's [at least the ones the government uses :)] upload with the
                    > same non-unique file names for each upload, so we have to process each
                    > batch rather quickly.
                    >
                    > I didn't write this, but I can say in 3 years its only crashed once
                    > and makes us millions.
                    >
                    > [snipped for breviety of course]
                    > Cronjob1:
                    >
                    > use Net::FTP;
                    > my $ftp = Net::FTP->new($PEERADDR, Debug => 0, Timeout => 30)
                    > || die "Connect to server failed\n";
                    > $ftp->login($USERNAME, $PASSWORD)
                    > || die "Cannot login to FTP server\n";
                    > $ftp->binary();
                    >
                    > my @files = $ftp->ls('-R');
                    > foreach my $file (@files) {
                    > unless some critera
                    > $ftp->get("$dir/$file", $localFilename);
                    > }
                    > $ftp->quit();

                  • Randy Kobes
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 1 4:28 PM
                      On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Boysenberry Payne wrote:

                      > I'm not sure if HEAD would work.
                      > Basically, I'm trying to read a directory's files.
                      > After I confirm a file exists and doesn't have zero
                      > size I check that it has the appropriate extension
                      > for the directory then I add the directory address,
                      > file name and extension to a table in our database.

                      Can you get someone on the remote server to do a
                      cd top_level_directory
                      ls -lR > ls-lR # or find -fls find-ls
                      gzip ls-lR # or gzip find-ls
                      periodically, and then you can grab and parse ls-lR.gz or
                      find-ls.gz?

                      --
                      best regards,
                      randy kobes
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 1 4:31 PM
                        Boysenberry Payne wrote:
                        > my $h = $ftp->{handle};
                        > foreach my $directory ( @directories ) {
                        > $h->cwd( $directory ) or die "can't change to directory: $directory
                        > $!";
                        > my $dir_ls = $h->ls;
                        > foreach my $file_name ( @$dir_ls ) {
                        > unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {
                        > my $dir_nfo = $h->dir( $directory . $file_name );
                        > $_ = $dir_nfo->[ 0 ];
                        > s/(\s)+/ /g;
                        > my @file_nfo = split / /, $_;
                        > my $file_size = $file_nfo[ 4 ];
                        > if( $file_size != 0 ) {
                        > add to database
                        > $h->quit;
                        Whats this ftp->{handle} stuff ?
                        Shouldn't it just be $ftp->xxx
                        Thats not in perldoc Net::FTP.

                        Are you using a relatively new version of it ?
                        We've got Net::FTP 2.75,
                        Linux wickedwitch 2.6.12.3 #2 SMP Mon Jul 18 17:14:55 EDT 2005 i686 i686
                        i386 GNU/Linux

                        What is the file size check for .. why do you have files of size 0 ?

                        I think it might be faster to do

                        next unless $file_name =~ /^\./o;

                        instead of
                        > unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {

                        It might be your database connection... Do you prepare the handle
                        outside of the loop? Is the database connect/disconnect outside of the
                        loop? What are you inserting into the database ? If you're inserting a
                        BLOB of the image/file data it could be the bandwidth transfer now thats
                        its not a local socket anymore.

                        Luck

                        --
                        END
                        Philip M. Gollucci
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 1 6:10 PM
                          $ftp->{handle} = Net::FTP->new( $ftp->{host}, Passive => 1 ) or die
                          "Can't create new ftp with host: $ftp->{host}";
                          It's part of my FTP module

                          On Aug 1, 2005, at 6:31 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

                          > Boysenberry Payne wrote:
                          >> my $h = $ftp->{handle};
                          >> foreach my $directory ( @directories ) {
                          >> $h->cwd( $directory ) or die "can't change to directory:
                          >> $directory $!";
                          >> my $dir_ls = $h->ls;
                          >> foreach my $file_name ( @$dir_ls ) {
                          >> unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {
                          >> my $dir_nfo = $h->dir( $directory . $file_name );
                          >> $_ = $dir_nfo->[ 0 ];
                          >> s/(\s)+/ /g;
                          >> my @file_nfo = split / /, $_;
                          >> my $file_size = $file_nfo[ 4 ];
                          >> if( $file_size != 0 ) {
                          >> add to database
                          >> }
                          >> }
                          >> }
                          >> }
                          >> $h->quit;
                          > Whats this ftp->{handle} stuff ?
                          > Shouldn't it just be $ftp->xxx
                          > Thats not in perldoc Net::FTP.
                          >
                          > Are you using a relatively new version of it ?
                          > We've got Net::FTP 2.75,
                          > Linux wickedwitch 2.6.12.3 #2 SMP Mon Jul 18 17:14:55 EDT 2005 i686
                          > i686 i386 GNU/Linux
                          >
                          > What is the file size check for .. why do you have files of size 0 ?
                          >
                          > I think it might be faster to do
                          >
                          > next unless $file_name =~ /^\./o;
                          >
                          > instead of
                          > > unless ( substr( $file_name, 0, 1 ) eq "." ) {
                          >
                          > It might be your database connection... Do you prepare the handle
                          > outside of the loop? Is the database connect/disconnect outside of
                          > the loop? What are you inserting into the database ? If you're
                          > inserting a BLOB of the image/file data it could be the bandwidth
                          > transfer now thats its not a local socket anymore.
                          >
                          > Luck
                          >
                          > --
                          > END
                          > ------
                          > Philip M. Gollucci
                          > Senior Developer - Liquidity Services Inc.
                          > Phone: 202.558.6268 (Direct)
                          > Cell: 301.254.5198
                          > E-Mail: pgollucci@...
                          > Web: http://www.liquidityservicesinc.com
                          > http://www.liquidation.com
                          > http://www.uksurplus.com
                          > http://www.govliquidation.com
                          > http://www.gowholesale.com

                        • Goddard Lee
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 2 1:44 AM
                            > From: Philip M. Gollucci [mailto:pgollucci@...]

                            > I didn't write this, but ...[it]... makes us millions.

                            I trust "you" are putting thousands into perl, mod_perl and other good
                            things, then ;)
                          • Torsten Foertsch
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 2 6:39 AM
                              On Monday 01 August 2005 23:12, Boysenberry Payne wrote:
                              > Hello All,
                              >
                              > I've got a two server platform one a static server for files and runs
                              > the mysql server
                              > and the other runs mod_perl. I'm trying to figure out the fastest way
                              > to get info on directories
                              > and files from the static server to the mod_perl server. Right now I'm
                              > using Net::FTP which
                              > is really slow, especially when they're a lot of files. Unfortunately,
                              > I need to check the file info
                              > quite frequently. I was wondering if anyone knew what was the fast way
                              > to get this info, LDAP,
                              > SSH, etc?

                              mod_dav may be an option.

                              Torsten
                            • Boysenberry Payne
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 2 10:35 AM
                                Thank You Everyone,

                                I think now that I know I can use $ftp->ls( "-lR" ), which I couldn't
                                find
                                anywhere in the Net::FTP docs or other O'Reilly books I have, I can
                                stick to Net::FTP without is being slow. What was causing my script
                                to take so long was the multiple $ftp->cwd( $directory ), $ftp->ls() and
                                $ftp->dir( $directory . $file ) calls for each directory in my
                                directory loop.

                                Now I use one cwd and ls("-lR") from my public html area then process
                                the return array, which is a lot faster. It would be nice to be able
                                to specify
                                the directory as well as the "-lR" without using cwd( $directory ); does
                                anyone know how to do it?

                                Thanks for the tips on making my code more efficient too.