RE: Version Control

  • David Christensen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 27, 2005
      David Hofmann wrote:
      > My company looking at setting up some kind of versioning control software.
      > I understand just enough to be dangerous with CVS.

      I was going to say, "watch out for subversion's license" (free only for free
      projects with public access; otherwise a paid commercial license is required),
      but it looks like they've changed it:

      http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/LicenseDetails?licenseID=9

      http://www.opensource.org/licenses/apachepl.php

      I've been using CVS for personal and (mostly) solo consulting projects for
      several years now, and it gets the job done. I especially like the simplicity
      of RCS repository files (so I can commit the cardinal sin of hacking them ;-).
      I do all my work on the trunk, and use tags for releases. I don't have the need
      to support older versions; the support solution is "upgrade to the latest".

      I prefer Cygwin for Windoze clients, primarily because of Bash. I maintain my
      own Cygwin install snapshot and upgrade machines only when absolutely necessary.

      Another advantage of CVS is that it's simple enough that you can read one book
      and you'll know enough:

      http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

      There's lots of software out there that facilitates and/or integrates with CVS.
      Because CVS is simple, you can even write your own:

      http://www.holgerdanske.com/dpchrist/software/index.html

      dvs -- integrates CVS projects with Unix users and groups to
      provide primitive (and insecure) isolation of projects and
      developers.

      cvsenv -- launches a Bash shell with environment variables for
      connectivity to a CVS project.

      cvsdist -- tags and tarballs a CVS project for distribution.

      But, if you want to use a branch/merge development process, I implemented one
      for a client using the commercial version control product they were already
      using (MKS Source Integrity):

      http://www.mks.com/

      To me, the main advantage of MKS SI over CVS (and RCS) was that MKS SI
      implemented version control on sets of files ("project"), and provided tools for
      easily diff'ing, branching, and merging them.

      HTH,

      David