Re: failure running tests

  • Malcolm J Harwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2005
      On Friday 03 June 2005 01:55 pm, Vivek Khera wrote:

      > I am building up a virgin FreeBSD 5.4 box to test out my application
      > under modperl2. However, it craps out in the "make test" step... Now
      > why does it offer to actually run the test when it *knows* it can't
      > run them?

      Because often it can. It has no problem on either of the linux distributions I
      run on.

      > Also, what is the suggested procedure for installing via
      > cpan if it can't be run as root?

      Grab the tarball from CPAN and install by hand?

      > [warning] root mode: changing the files ownership to 'nobody' (65534:65534)

      Is that a valid userid?

      > [warning] testing whether 'nobody' is able to -rwx /amd/yertle/u/
      > yertle1/cpan/build/mod_perl-2.0.0/t
      > "/usr/local/bin/perl" -Mlib=/amd/yertle/u/yertle1/cpan/build/
      > mod_perl-2.0.0/Apache-Test/lib -MApache::TestRun -e 'eval
      > { Apache::TestRun::run_root_fs_test(65534, 65534, q[/amd/yertle/u/
      > yertle1/cpan/build/mod_perl-2.0.0/t]) }';
      >

      > [warning] result:
      > [ error] You are running the test suite under user 'root'.
      > Apache cannot spawn child processes as 'root', therefore
      > we attempt to run the test suite with user 'nobody' (65534:65534).
      > The problem is that the path (including all parent directories):
      > /amd/yertle/u/yertle1/cpan/build/mod_perl-2.0.0/t
      > must be 'rwx' by user 'nobody', so Apache can read and write under that
      > path.

      Check what components of that path aren't rwx by nobody. Do you have a umask
      that prevents the execute bit being set? Or some other restriction on file
      creation? Perhaps something is preventing the tarball from extracting with
      the same permissions.

      > There are several ways to resolve this issue. One is to move and
      > rebuild the distribution to '/tmp/' and repeat the 'make test'
      > phase. The other is not to run 'make test' as root (i.e. building
      > under your /home/user directory).

      Do either of those work?