Re: Apache2::Status bug?

    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2005
      Octavian Rasnita wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I have finished (I hope) installing mod_perl rc5 under Windows 2000, and I
      > have tried the server using http://localhost/perl-status.
      >
      > I was able to use it very well, until I have tried to see the following
      > links in order:
      > Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - Syntax Tree Dump
      > (execution order)
      >
      > After the last link, the server gave a 404 Not found error.
      >
      > The error log told that 0 worker threads exited, and that 250 worker threads
      > were started successfully.
      > (Why there were no worker threads running?)
      >
      > I have restarted the server using "apache -k restart" and I have tried again
      > to access http://localhost/perl-status/ but the page was still "Not found".
      > (The error log was showing again that 0 threads exited and 250 worker
      > threads started.)
      >
      > So I have restarted the server using "apache -k stop" and "apache -k start".
      >
      > Well, this time I was able to use /perl-status again, and I have navigated
      > directly to that link with problems, but it gave the following error:
      >
      > 200 OK
      > Syntax Tree Dump (execution) for Apache2::Const::OK Apache2::Const::OK:
      >
      > OK
      >
      > The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
      > to complete your request.
      >
      > Please contact the server administrator, orasnita@... and inform them of
      > the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
      > caused the error.
      >
      > More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
      > Apache/2.0.53 (Win32) PHP/5.0.0 mod_perl/1.999.22 Perl/v5.8.6 Server at
      > localhost Port 80
      > ---
      >
      > In the error log, the only error was:
      >
      > [Fri Apr 29 19:17:00 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: coderef has no
      > START\n, referer:
      > http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
      > ---
      >
      > I have also tried the following links in order:
      > Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - - Syntax Tree Dump
      > (syntax order)
      >
      > But it gave me the following error in the log file:
      >
      > [Fri Apr 29 19:42:20 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: unknown function
      > (main::slow)\n, referer:
      > http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
      > ---
      >
      > Could this be a bug, or I need to change something in the script to make it
      > compatible with Windows?

      It's more like B::Terse bug, notice the comment:

      sub noh_b_terse {
      my $r = shift;

      $r->content_type("text/plain");
      return unless has($r, "terse");

      no strict 'refs';
      my($arg, $name) = (split "/", $r->uri)[-2,-1];
      $r->print("Syntax Tree Dump ($b_terse_exp{$arg}) for $name\n\n");

      # XXX: blead perl dumps things to STDERR, though the same version
      # works fine with 1.27
      B::Terse::compile($arg, $name)->();
      }

      I get the same problem on linux/prefork mpm.

    • OpenMacNews
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2005
        hi,

        > I get the same problem on linux/prefork mpm.

        fwiw, i'm seeing no such issues on osx 10.4/worker mpm. no errors, no suspect
        log entries, etc.

        Embedded Perl version v5.8.6 for Apache/2.1.5-dev process 21420

        Server Version: Apache/2.1.5-dev (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.2.0-rc2
        mod_perl/1.999.23-dev Perl/v5.8.6

        although i'm relatively new to its use, /perl-status seems to behave w/ no
        obvious errors (so far).

        if there's any info i can provide that may be helpful, pls let me know.

        cheers,

        richard
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2005
          OpenMacNews wrote:
          > hi,
          >
          >> I get the same problem on linux/prefork mpm.
          >

          > fwiw, i'm seeing no such issues on osx 10.4/worker mpm. no errors, no
          > suspect log entries, etc.
          >
          > Embedded Perl version v5.8.6 for Apache/2.1.5-dev process 21420
          >
          > Server Version: Apache/2.1.5-dev (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.2.0-rc2
          > mod_perl/1.999.23-dev Perl/v5.8.6
          >
          > although i'm relatively new to its use, /perl-status seems to behave w/
          > no obvious errors (so far).
          >

          > if there's any info i can provide that may be helpful, pls let me know.

          You need to enable: the terse feature and then follow: Loaded Modules ->
          Apache::Const -> Apache::Const::OK -> Syntax Tree Dump (execution order)
          Did you do that? The config I've used was:

          <Location /status/perl>
          PerlSetVar StatusOptionsAll On
          PerlSetVar StatusDumper On
          PerlSetVar StatusPeek On
          PerlSetVar StatusLexInfo On
          PerlSetVar StatusDeparse On
          PerlSetVar StatusDeparseOptions "-p -sC"
          PerlSetVar StatusTerse On
          PerlSetVar StatusTerseSize On
          PerlSetVar StatusTerseSizeMainSummary On
          SetHandler modperl
          PerlResponseHandler Apache2::Status
          </Location>

        • OpenMacNews
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2005
            hi stas,

            >> although i'm relatively new to its use, /perl-status seems to behave w/
            >> no obvious errors (so far).
            >>
            >> if there's any info i can provide that may be helpful, pls let me know.
            >
            > You need to enable: the terse feature and then follow: Loaded Modules ->
            > Apache::Const -> Apache::Const::OK -> Syntax Tree Dump (execution order)
            > Did you do that? The config I've used was:
            >
            > <Location /status/perl>
            > PerlSetVar StatusOptionsAll On
            > PerlSetVar StatusDumper On
            > PerlSetVar StatusPeek On
            > PerlSetVar StatusLexInfo On
            > PerlSetVar StatusDeparse On
            > PerlSetVar StatusDeparseOptions "-p -sC"
            > PerlSetVar StatusTerse On
            > PerlSetVar StatusTerseSize On
            > PerlSetVar StatusTerseSizeMainSummary On
            > SetHandler modperl
            > PerlResponseHandler Apache2::Status
            > </Location>

            the devil, apparently, IS in the details ... =)

            i mod'd my httpd.conf as above, and followed the sequence, and -- sure nuf:

            Syntax Tree Dump (execution) for Apache2::Const::OK
            OK

            to complete your request.

            Apache/2.1.5-dev (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.2.0-rc2 mod_perl/1.999.23-dev
            Perl/v5.8.6 Port 80

            w/ the following in the apachelog ...

            [Mon May 02 10:12:02 2005] [error] [client 10.0.0.6] err: coderef has no
            START\n, referer:
            http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump

            fwiw, setting any/all of:

            > PerlSetVar StatusTerse Off
            > PerlSetVar StatusTerseSize Off
            > PerlSetVar StatusTerseSizeMainSummary Off

            has, seemingly, no effect on the error ...

            cheers,

            richard
            Message 5 of 6 , May 17, 2005
              Stas Bekman wrote:
              > Octavian Rasnita wrote:
              >
              >> Hello,
              >>
              >> I have finished (I hope) installing mod_perl rc5 under Windows 2000,
              >> and I
              >> have tried the server using http://localhost/perl-status.
              >>
              >> I was able to use it very well, until I have tried to see the following
              >> links in order:
              >> Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - Syntax Tree Dump
              >> (execution order)
              [...]
              >> In the error log, the only error was:
              >>
              >> [Fri Apr 29 19:17:00 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: coderef has no
              >> START\n, referer:
              >> http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
              >> ---
              >>
              >> I have also tried the following links in order:
              >> Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - - Syntax Tree Dump
              >> (syntax order)
              >>
              >> But it gave me the following error in the log file:
              >>
              >> [Fri Apr 29 19:42:20 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: unknown
              >> function
              >> (main::slow)\n, referer:
              >> http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
              >> ---
              >>
              >> Could this be a bug, or I need to change something in the script to
              >> make it
              >> compatible with Windows?
              >

              > It's more like B::Terse bug, notice the comment:
              >
              > sub noh_b_terse {
              > my $r = shift;
              >
              > $r->content_type("text/plain");
              > return unless has($r, "terse");
              >
              > no strict 'refs';
              > my($arg, $name) = (split "/", $r->uri)[-2,-1];
              > $r->print("Syntax Tree Dump ($b_terse_exp{$arg}) for $name\n\n");
              >
              > # XXX: blead perl dumps things to STDERR, though the same version
              > # works fine with 1.27
              > B::Terse::compile($arg, $name)->();
              > }
              >
              > I get the same problem on linux/prefork mpm.

              I've reproduced this problem at the command line and filed a bug report:
              http://rt.perl.org/rt3/index.html?q=35849

              Notice that it happens only with XS subs.