Apache2::Status bug?

  • Octavian Rasnita
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2005
      Hello,

      I have finished (I hope) installing mod_perl rc5 under Windows 2000, and I
      have tried the server using http://localhost/perl-status.

      I was able to use it very well, until I have tried to see the following
      links in order:
      Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - Syntax Tree Dump
      (execution order)

      After the last link, the server gave a 404 Not found error.

      The error log told that 0 worker threads exited, and that 250 worker threads
      were started successfully.
      (Why there were no worker threads running?)

      I have restarted the server using "apache -k restart" and I have tried again
      to access http://localhost/perl-status/ but the page was still "Not found".
      (The error log was showing again that 0 threads exited and 250 worker
      threads started.)

      So I have restarted the server using "apache -k stop" and "apache -k start".

      Well, this time I was able to use /perl-status again, and I have navigated
      directly to that link with problems, but it gave the following error:

      200 OK
      Syntax Tree Dump (execution) for Apache2::Const::OK Apache2::Const::OK:

      OK

      to complete your request.

      Please contact the server administrator, orasnita@... and inform them of
      the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
      caused the error.

      Apache/2.0.53 (Win32) PHP/5.0.0 mod_perl/1.999.22 Perl/v5.8.6 Server at
      localhost Port 80
      ---

      In the error log, the only error was:

      [Fri Apr 29 19:17:00 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: coderef has no
      START\n, referer:
      http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
      ---

      I have also tried the following links in order:
      Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - - Syntax Tree Dump
      (syntax order)

      But it gave me the following error in the log file:

      [Fri Apr 29 19:42:20 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: unknown function
      (main::slow)\n, referer:
      http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
      ---

      Could this be a bug, or I need to change something in the script to make it
      compatible with Windows?

      Thank you.

      Teddy
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 12:26 AM
        Octavian Rasnita wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I have finished (I hope) installing mod_perl rc5 under Windows 2000, and I
        > have tried the server using http://localhost/perl-status.
        >
        > I was able to use it very well, until I have tried to see the following
        > links in order:
        > Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - Syntax Tree Dump
        > (execution order)
        >
        > After the last link, the server gave a 404 Not found error.
        >
        > The error log told that 0 worker threads exited, and that 250 worker threads
        > were started successfully.
        > (Why there were no worker threads running?)
        >
        > I have restarted the server using "apache -k restart" and I have tried again
        > to access http://localhost/perl-status/ but the page was still "Not found".
        > (The error log was showing again that 0 threads exited and 250 worker
        > threads started.)
        >
        > So I have restarted the server using "apache -k stop" and "apache -k start".
        >
        > Well, this time I was able to use /perl-status again, and I have navigated
        > directly to that link with problems, but it gave the following error:
        >
        > 200 OK
        > Syntax Tree Dump (execution) for Apache2::Const::OK Apache2::Const::OK:
        >
        > OK
        >
        > The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable
        > to complete your request.
        >
        > Please contact the server administrator, orasnita@... and inform them of
        > the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have
        > caused the error.
        >
        > More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
        > Apache/2.0.53 (Win32) PHP/5.0.0 mod_perl/1.999.22 Perl/v5.8.6 Server at
        > localhost Port 80
        > ---
        >
        > In the error log, the only error was:
        >
        > [Fri Apr 29 19:17:00 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: coderef has no
        > START\n, referer:
        > http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
        > ---
        >
        > I have also tried the following links in order:
        > Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - - Syntax Tree Dump
        > (syntax order)
        >
        > But it gave me the following error in the log file:
        >
        > [Fri Apr 29 19:42:20 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: unknown function
        > (main::slow)\n, referer:
        > http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
        > ---
        >
        > Could this be a bug, or I need to change something in the script to make it
        > compatible with Windows?

        It's more like B::Terse bug, notice the comment:

        sub noh_b_terse {
        my $r = shift;

        $r->content_type("text/plain");
        return unless has($r, "terse");

        no strict 'refs';
        my($arg, $name) = (split "/", $r->uri)[-2,-1];
        $r->print("Syntax Tree Dump ($b_terse_exp{$arg}) for $name\n\n");

        # XXX: blead perl dumps things to STDERR, though the same version
        # works fine with 1.27
        B::Terse::compile($arg, $name)->();
        }

        I get the same problem on linux/prefork mpm.

      • OpenMacNews
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2 1:19 AM
          hi,

          > I get the same problem on linux/prefork mpm.

          fwiw, i'm seeing no such issues on osx 10.4/worker mpm. no errors, no suspect
          log entries, etc.

          Embedded Perl version v5.8.6 for Apache/2.1.5-dev process 21420

          Server Version: Apache/2.1.5-dev (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.2.0-rc2
          mod_perl/1.999.23-dev Perl/v5.8.6

          although i'm relatively new to its use, /perl-status seems to behave w/ no
          obvious errors (so far).

          if there's any info i can provide that may be helpful, pls let me know.

          cheers,

          richard
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2 10:07 AM
            OpenMacNews wrote:
            > hi,
            >
            >> I get the same problem on linux/prefork mpm.
            >

            > fwiw, i'm seeing no such issues on osx 10.4/worker mpm. no errors, no
            > suspect log entries, etc.
            >
            > Embedded Perl version v5.8.6 for Apache/2.1.5-dev process 21420
            >
            > Server Version: Apache/2.1.5-dev (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.2.0-rc2
            > mod_perl/1.999.23-dev Perl/v5.8.6
            >
            > although i'm relatively new to its use, /perl-status seems to behave w/
            > no obvious errors (so far).
            >

            > if there's any info i can provide that may be helpful, pls let me know.

            You need to enable: the terse feature and then follow: Loaded Modules ->
            Apache::Const -> Apache::Const::OK -> Syntax Tree Dump (execution order)
            Did you do that? The config I've used was:

            <Location /status/perl>
            PerlSetVar StatusOptionsAll On
            PerlSetVar StatusDumper On
            PerlSetVar StatusPeek On
            PerlSetVar StatusLexInfo On
            PerlSetVar StatusDeparse On
            PerlSetVar StatusDeparseOptions "-p -sC"
            PerlSetVar StatusTerse On
            PerlSetVar StatusTerseSize On
            PerlSetVar StatusTerseSizeMainSummary On
            SetHandler modperl
            PerlResponseHandler Apache2::Status
            </Location>

          • OpenMacNews
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2 10:18 AM
              hi stas,

              >> although i'm relatively new to its use, /perl-status seems to behave w/
              >> no obvious errors (so far).
              >>
              >> if there's any info i can provide that may be helpful, pls let me know.
              >
              > You need to enable: the terse feature and then follow: Loaded Modules ->
              > Apache::Const -> Apache::Const::OK -> Syntax Tree Dump (execution order)
              > Did you do that? The config I've used was:
              >
              > <Location /status/perl>
              > PerlSetVar StatusOptionsAll On
              > PerlSetVar StatusDumper On
              > PerlSetVar StatusPeek On
              > PerlSetVar StatusLexInfo On
              > PerlSetVar StatusDeparse On
              > PerlSetVar StatusDeparseOptions "-p -sC"
              > PerlSetVar StatusTerse On
              > PerlSetVar StatusTerseSize On
              > PerlSetVar StatusTerseSizeMainSummary On
              > SetHandler modperl
              > PerlResponseHandler Apache2::Status
              > </Location>

              the devil, apparently, IS in the details ... =)

              i mod'd my httpd.conf as above, and followed the sequence, and -- sure nuf:

              Syntax Tree Dump (execution) for Apache2::Const::OK
              OK

              to complete your request.

              Apache/2.1.5-dev (Unix) DAV/2 SVN/1.2.0-rc2 mod_perl/1.999.23-dev
              Perl/v5.8.6 Port 80

              w/ the following in the apachelog ...

              [Mon May 02 10:12:02 2005] [error] [client 10.0.0.6] err: coderef has no
              START\n, referer:
              http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump

              fwiw, setting any/all of:

              > PerlSetVar StatusTerse Off
              > PerlSetVar StatusTerseSize Off
              > PerlSetVar StatusTerseSizeMainSummary Off

              has, seemingly, no effect on the error ...

              cheers,

              richard
              Message 6 of 6 , May 17 12:45 PM
                Stas Bekman wrote:
                > Octavian Rasnita wrote:
                >
                >> Hello,
                >>
                >> I have finished (I hope) installing mod_perl rc5 under Windows 2000,
                >> and I
                >> have tried the server using http://localhost/perl-status.
                >>
                >> I was able to use it very well, until I have tried to see the following
                >> links in order:
                >> Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - Syntax Tree Dump
                >> (execution order)
                [...]
                >> In the error log, the only error was:
                >>
                >> [Fri Apr 29 19:17:00 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: coderef has no
                >> START\n, referer:
                >> http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
                >> ---
                >>
                >> I have also tried the following links in order:
                >> Loaded Modules - Apache::Const - Apache::Const::OK - - Syntax Tree Dump
                >> (syntax order)
                >>
                >> But it gave me the following error in the log file:
                >>
                >> [Fri Apr 29 19:42:20 2005] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] err: unknown
                >> function
                >> (main::slow)\n, referer:
                >> http://localhost/perl-status/Apache2::Const::OK/FUNCTION?cv_dump
                >> ---
                >>
                >> Could this be a bug, or I need to change something in the script to
                >> make it
                >> compatible with Windows?
                >

                > It's more like B::Terse bug, notice the comment:
                >
                > sub noh_b_terse {
                > my $r = shift;
                >
                > $r->content_type("text/plain");
                > return unless has($r, "terse");
                >
                > no strict 'refs';
                > my($arg, $name) = (split "/", $r->uri)[-2,-1];
                > $r->print("Syntax Tree Dump ($b_terse_exp{$arg}) for $name\n\n");
                >
                > # XXX: blead perl dumps things to STDERR, though the same version
                > # works fine with 1.27
                > B::Terse::compile($arg, $name)->();
                > }
                >
                > I get the same problem on linux/prefork mpm.

                I've reproduced this problem at the command line and filed a bug report:
                http://rt.perl.org/rt3/index.html?q=35849

                Notice that it happens only with XS subs.