Re: [mp2] Make Apache2/mp2 act like IIS6/application pools

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
      Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
      > On Mar 28, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
      >
      >> Andrew Weiland wrote:
      >>
      >>> Is it possible to replicate the functionality of application pooling
      >>> in IIS 6 with mod_perl2 and apache 2?
      >>> I've looked at Registry scripts but at this point am unsure as to how
      >>> they can help me with more than one application.
      >>

      >> Andrew, please explain what's IIS' application pooling.
      >
      > Hi Andrew, Stats.
      > The answer I believe is no.
      >
      > Application pooling basically lets you set up IIS sites and ODBC
      > connnects in "shared"
      > mode (aka low or medium memory models) from IIS5. Then you're websites
      > can share the same memory footprint.
      >
      > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was being talked about for
      > perl6/modperl3 and solar variables.

      No, it already exists in mp2 + threaded Apache mpms + perl5.8.x, including
      the solar variables (see the threads::shared manpage for more details).
      The opcode tree is shared between the threads:
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/performance/mpm.html#Memory_Requirements_in_Threaded_MPM

      The problem is that there are too many problems with ithreads. And
      starting a new thread in the heavily loaded server is prohibitively
      expensive. Liz has implemented forks.pm as a drop-in replacement for
      threads.pm, to make things much faster.