Re: [mp2] Make Apache2/mp2 act like IIS6/application pools

  • Philip M. Gollucci
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
      On Mar 28, 2005, at 7:59 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

      > On Mar 28, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
      >
      >> Andrew Weiland wrote:
      >>> Is it possible to replicate the functionality of application pooling
      >>> in IIS 6 with mod_perl2 and apache 2?
      >>> I've looked at Registry scripts but at this point am unsure as to
      >>> how they can help me with more than one application.
      >>
      >> Andrew, please explain what's IIS' application pooling.
      > Hi Andrew, Stats.
      > The answer I believe is no.
      >
      > Application pooling basically lets you set up IIS sites and ODBC
      > connnects in "shared"
      > mode (aka low or medium memory models) from IIS5. Then you're
      > websites can share
      > the same memory footprint.
      >
      > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was being talked about for
      > perl6/modperl3 and solar variables.
      >
      > On windows depending on your theading model, you might avoid the over
      > head of code size x # of children.

      Replying to myself... the best example of this I can think of is that
      each apache child would get 1 DB connection and solar variables would
      get you 1 DB connect total for say 6 children...

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
        Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
        > On Mar 28, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
        >
        >> Andrew Weiland wrote:
        >>
        >>> Is it possible to replicate the functionality of application pooling
        >>> in IIS 6 with mod_perl2 and apache 2?
        >>> I've looked at Registry scripts but at this point am unsure as to how
        >>> they can help me with more than one application.
        >>

        >> Andrew, please explain what's IIS' application pooling.
        >
        > Hi Andrew, Stats.
        > The answer I believe is no.
        >
        > Application pooling basically lets you set up IIS sites and ODBC
        > connnects in "shared"
        > mode (aka low or medium memory models) from IIS5. Then you're websites
        > can share the same memory footprint.
        >
        > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was being talked about for
        > perl6/modperl3 and solar variables.

        No, it already exists in mp2 + threaded Apache mpms + perl5.8.x, including
        the solar variables (see the threads::shared manpage for more details).
        The opcode tree is shared between the threads:
        http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/performance/mpm.html#Memory_Requirements_in_Threaded_MPM

        The problem is that there are too many problems with ithreads. And
        starting a new thread in the heavily loaded server is prohibitively
        expensive. Liz has implemented forks.pm as a drop-in replacement for
        threads.pm, to make things much faster.