Re: [mp2] Make Apache2/mp2 act like IIS6/application pools

  • Philip M. Gollucci
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
      On Mar 28, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:

      > Andrew Weiland wrote:
      >> Is it possible to replicate the functionality of application pooling
      >> in IIS 6 with mod_perl2 and apache 2?
      >> I've looked at Registry scripts but at this point am unsure as to how
      >> they can help me with more than one application.
      >
      > Andrew, please explain what's IIS' application pooling.
      Hi Andrew, Stats.
      The answer I believe is no.

      Application pooling basically lets you set up IIS sites and ODBC
      connnects in "shared"
      mode (aka low or medium memory models) from IIS5. Then you're websites
      can share
      the same memory footprint.

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was being talked about for
      perl6/modperl3 and solar variables.

      On windows depending on your theading model, you might avoid the over
      head of code size x # of children.

      > --
      > Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
      > http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org
      > mailto:stas@... http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com
      > http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com
    • Philip M. Gollucci
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
        On Mar 28, 2005, at 7:59 PM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

        > On Mar 28, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
        >
        >> Andrew Weiland wrote:
        >>> Is it possible to replicate the functionality of application pooling
        >>> in IIS 6 with mod_perl2 and apache 2?
        >>> I've looked at Registry scripts but at this point am unsure as to
        >>> how they can help me with more than one application.
        >>
        >> Andrew, please explain what's IIS' application pooling.
        > Hi Andrew, Stats.
        > The answer I believe is no.
        >
        > Application pooling basically lets you set up IIS sites and ODBC
        > connnects in "shared"
        > mode (aka low or medium memory models) from IIS5. Then you're
        > websites can share
        > the same memory footprint.
        >
        > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was being talked about for
        > perl6/modperl3 and solar variables.
        >
        > On windows depending on your theading model, you might avoid the over
        > head of code size x # of children.

        Replying to myself... the best example of this I can think of is that
        each apache child would get 1 DB connection and solar variables would
        get you 1 DB connect total for say 6 children...

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2005
          Philip M. Gollucci wrote:
          > On Mar 28, 2005, at 5:21 PM, Stas Bekman wrote:
          >
          >> Andrew Weiland wrote:
          >>
          >>> Is it possible to replicate the functionality of application pooling
          >>> in IIS 6 with mod_perl2 and apache 2?
          >>> I've looked at Registry scripts but at this point am unsure as to how
          >>> they can help me with more than one application.
          >>

          >> Andrew, please explain what's IIS' application pooling.
          >
          > Hi Andrew, Stats.
          > The answer I believe is no.
          >
          > Application pooling basically lets you set up IIS sites and ODBC
          > connnects in "shared"
          > mode (aka low or medium memory models) from IIS5. Then you're websites
          > can share the same memory footprint.
          >
          > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this was being talked about for
          > perl6/modperl3 and solar variables.

          No, it already exists in mp2 + threaded Apache mpms + perl5.8.x, including
          the solar variables (see the threads::shared manpage for more details).
          The opcode tree is shared between the threads:
          http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/performance/mpm.html#Memory_Requirements_in_Threaded_MPM

          The problem is that there are too many problems with ithreads. And
          starting a new thread in the heavily loaded server is prohibitively
          expensive. Liz has implemented forks.pm as a drop-in replacement for
          threads.pm, to make things much faster.