Re: Win32 + ModPerl 2 + Apache 2 + NPH script = confusing header situation

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
      Formhandle wrote:
      > Hello,
      [...]
      > mod_perl 1.99_08-dev

      Please upgrade first to the latest mod_perl (2.0.0-RC4 or 1.999.21) and
      then try again:
      http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html

    • Formhandle
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 3, 2005
        Stas Bekman wrote:

        > Please upgrade first to the latest mod_perl (2.0.0-RC4 or 1.999.21) and
        > then try again:
        > http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
        > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html

        I tried but the PPM package was not available anywhere. I don't have the
        capacity to compile this stuff myself. I tried manually getting the latest from
        CPAN but it's all source and I kept running into compile/install issues.

        If you could perhaps point me to a binary version compatible with 5.6.x that is
        actually available somewhere for download, I would be most appreciative.

        Please keep in mind I'm a self-taught programmer and, contrary to common
        perception, this mod_perl stuff is not the easiest thing in the world to install
        and keep in sync with Apache. I would love to be up-to-date with the latest and
        greatest if there were a simple and non-convoluted way to do so.

        --
        Form <formhandle@...>

        Fast Seduction 101 - http://www.fastseduction.com/
        Class is now in session...
      • Tom Schindl
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
          Formhandle wrote:
          > Stas Bekman wrote:
          >
          >> Please upgrade first to the latest mod_perl (2.0.0-RC4 or 1.999.21)
          >> and then try again:
          >> http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
          >> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html
          >

          > I tried but the PPM package was not available anywhere. I don't have
          > the capacity to compile this stuff myself. I tried manually getting the
          > latest from CPAN but it's all source and I kept running into
          > compile/install issues.
          >
          > If you could perhaps point me to a binary version compatible with 5.6.x
          > that is actually available somewhere for download, I would be most
          > appreciative.

          has it to be perl 5.6.x? We are now at 5.8.6. You can get it from
          http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ and then you can get the
          ppms as described in the URL above.

          > Please keep in mind I'm a self-taught programmer and, contrary to common
          > perception, this mod_perl stuff is not the easiest thing in the world to
          > install and keep in sync with Apache. I would love to be up-to-date
          > with the latest and greatest if there were a simple and non-convoluted
          > way to do so.

        • Randy Kobes
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
            On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Tom Schindl wrote:

            > Formhandle wrote:
            > > Stas Bekman wrote:
            > >
            > >> Please upgrade first to the latest mod_perl (2.0.0-RC4 or 1.999.21)
            > >> and then try again:
            > >> http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
            > >> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html
            > >

            > > I tried but the PPM package was not available anywhere.
            > > I don't have the capacity to compile this stuff myself.
            > > I tried manually getting the latest from CPAN but it's
            > > all source and I kept running into compile/install
            > > issues.
            > >
            > > If you could perhaps point me to a binary version
            > > compatible with 5.6.x that is actually available
            > > somewhere for download, I would be most appreciative.
            >
            > has it to be perl 5.6.x? We are now at 5.8.6. You can get it from
            > http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ and then you can get the
            > ppms as described in the URL above.

            In fact, for mod_perl-2 (Apache/2.0.x), perl-5.8.x (ie, an
            ActivePerl 8xx build) is required for Win32; the mod_perl
            ppm package at
            http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/
            for ActivePerl 6xx works only with Apache/1.3.

            --
            best regards,
            randy kobes
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
              Randy Kobes wrote:
              > On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Tom Schindl wrote:

              [...]
              >>has it to be perl 5.6.x? We are now at 5.8.6. You can get it from
              >>http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/ and then you can get the
              >> ppms as described in the URL above.
              >

              > In fact, for mod_perl-2 (Apache/2.0.x), perl-5.8.x (ie, an
              > ActivePerl 8xx build) is required for Win32; the mod_perl
              > ppm package at
              > http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppmpackages/
              > for ActivePerl 6xx works only with Apache/1.3.

              Thanks Randy for pointing this out. I'm not a win32 user so I didn't
              know that but next time I'll do so :-).

              Tom
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
                Formhandle wrote:
                > Stas Bekman wrote:
                >
                >> Please upgrade first to the latest mod_perl (2.0.0-RC4 or 1.999.21)
                >> and then try again:
                >> http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
                >> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html
                [...]
                > Please keep in mind I'm a self-taught programmer and, contrary to common
                > perception, this mod_perl stuff is not the easiest thing in the world to
                > install and keep in sync with Apache.

                Yes, but the newer version have the bug that you've reported fixed.

                > I would love to be up-to-date
                > with the latest and greatest if there were a simple and non-convoluted
                > way to do so.

                Move away from win32 to a decent OS and you will have plenty to choose from.

              • Randy Kobes
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
                  On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Stas Bekman wrote:

                  > Formhandle wrote:
                  > > Stas Bekman wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Please upgrade first to the latest mod_perl (2.0.0-RC4 or 1.999.21)
                  > >> and then try again:
                  > >> http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
                  > >> http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html
                  > [...]
                  > > Please keep in mind I'm a self-taught programmer and,
                  > > contrary to common perception, this mod_perl stuff is
                  > > not the easiest thing in the world to install and keep
                  > > in sync with Apache.
                  >
                  > Yes, but the newer version have the bug that you've reported fixed.
                  >
                  > > I would love to be up-to-date with the latest and
                  > > greatest if there were a simple and non-convoluted way
                  > > to do so.
                  >
                  > Move away from win32 to a decent OS and you will have
                  > plenty to choose from.

                  Not wanting to turn this into a discussion of the merits of
                  different operating systems, but I'd suggest that, for
                  binary packaging systems, ActiveState's ppm utility is
                  pretty mature, and relatively straightforward to use. With
                  any such system one can run into problems, but this isn't
                  limited to win32 - witness the difficulties people have on
                  linux with mod_perl rpm upgrades. Of course, on linux
                  compiling things on your own is (often) a viable option, but
                  I'd say the ppm system is sufficiently developed so as to
                  make the lack of a compiler on Win32 not so much of an issue
                  for an average user.

                  As Stas pointed out at
                  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html,
                  Win32 mod_perl-2 ppm packages are available. You should
                  just be able to do, for ActivePerl 8xx,
                  C:\> ppm install http://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/ppms/mod_perl.ppd
                  to install (this version is currently at the latest
                  mod_perl-2 release candidate). If you have problems doing
                  this, or if you find the docs lacking or confusing, let
                  us know, so that we can improve things.

                  --
                  best regards,
                  randy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 10, 2005
                    Stas Bekman wrote:

                    > [...]
                    >
                    >> mod_perl 1.99_08-dev
                    >
                    > Please upgrade first to the latest mod_perl (2.0.0-RC4 or 1.999.21) and
                    > then try again:
                    > http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html
                    > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/os/win32/install.html

                    Update:

                    I finally got a chance to upgrade on a test system from 5.6 to 5.8. Upgrading
                    breaks some of my older code on the main site, so I'll have to fix those issues
                    before using mod_perl in deployment but at least this did fix the duplicate
                    headers when using nph scripts so I can look forward to the performance gains soon.

                    Thank you for pointing this out - I had been under the impression that 5.6
                    should have worked since the last time I was testing mod_perl on Win32 with
                    Apache 2, that's what was available at the time & 5.8 kept breaking my code in
                    other ways that I didn't have time to look into... but now it's worth the effort.

                    The only issue I had during install (done via PPM) was it thought the default
                    Apache modules directory was at D:/Apache2/modules for some reason which was
                    wrong. Easy to correct.

                    ~Jay