Re: setting environment variables

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
      Randy Kobes wrote:
      [...]
      > So the behaviour of SetEnv changed from Apache-1 to
      > Apache-2, as far as Win32 case goes, while PerlSetEnv
      > maintained the same behaviour from mp1 to mp2.
      >
      > I suppose one could argue that we should change
      > PerlSetEnv under mp2 to lower-case things, so as
      > to be consistent with SetEnv?

      I think yes. I'm sure you have a patch already :)

    • Randy Kobes
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2005
        On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Stas Bekman wrote:

        > Randy Kobes wrote:
        > [...]
        > > So the behaviour of SetEnv changed from Apache-1 to
        > > Apache-2, as far as Win32 case goes, while PerlSetEnv
        > > maintained the same behaviour from mp1 to mp2.
        > >
        > > I suppose one could argue that we should change
        > > PerlSetEnv under mp2 to lower-case things, so as
        > > to be consistent with SetEnv?
        >
        > I think yes. I'm sure you have a patch already :)

        Actually, things are a bit more complicated on mp2 than I
        thought ... The example I gave earlier had 2
        SetEnv/PerlSetEnv directives, differing in case, which is a
        bit artificial. If there's just one such directive, then
        both SetEnv/PerlSetEnv seem to behave normally (taking into
        account that, on Windows, $ENV{FOO} and $ENV{foo} are the
        same). However, there does seen to be a problem (with
        SetEnv) when it's all lower-case
        SetEnv foo bar
        in that $ENV{foo} doesn't seem to get set (irrespective of
        the case of "foo". There's still a difference between
        PerlSetEnv and SetEnv, but I don't see the pattern yet;
        I'll keep looking.

        --
        best regards,
        randy
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 4, 2005
          Yes I think it's more complicated.

          I don't have the original setup that caused my problem, but i'm pretty
          sure I found
          that if I set a mixed-case env var (say 'MyEnv_Var') with SetEnv, in my
          mod_perl
          app I got the variable set (exists == true) but with no value, whereas
          using PerlSetEnv
          with the same variable name, I got the value in %ENV but the var name
          was uppercased.

          At the moment i have just worked around the problem by using SetEnv but
          with an
          all uppercase varaible name.

          Regards; Colin