Trouble using Tie::RDBM

  • Henrik Steffen
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2005
      Hello,

      I wonder if someone could possible help me with an issue
      regarding Tie::RDBM.

      I am using it on a mod_perl 2.0 enabled website with apache
      2.0.51 with persistent database connections to a postgresql-backend.

      Everything works fine, but every once in a while there will
      be an error in the error_log stating:

      Can't call method "fetchrow_arrayref" on an undefined value
      at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.3/Tie/RDBM.pm line 166

      Module version is 0.7

      I use the Tie::RDBM functinonality to translate contents
      of webpage like this:

      print<<HTML;
      <h1>$translate{welcome_fellow}</h1>
      <h2>$translate{this_is_an_example}</h2>
      HTML

      where the %translate hash is either tied to a table including
      German key/value pairs, or English, Danish, Polish or whatever.

      Now sometimes it happens, that some keys within a single
      webpage are translated, but suddenly there's one particular
      key, where the above error is raised and script execution is
      terminated with a 500 Internal Server Error.

      My only explanation is that the connection to the backend dies
      for some reason just between two requests to the backend.

      Did you anyone ever encounter such trouble? Can you give me a hint?

      Or would it make sense to modify the Tie::RDBM module by adding
      a check whether the backend is still alive just before executing
      a statement?

      Any help appreciated,

      thanks in advance,

      --

      Kind regards

      Henrik Steffen

      top concepts Internetmarketing GmbH
      Am Steinkamp 7 - D-21684 Stade - Germany
      http://www.topconcepts.de Tel. +49 1805 9977 501*
      mail: steffen@... Fax. +49 1805 9977 502*
      SMS Versand ab 9.9 Cent: http://sms-gw.topconcepts.de
      Handelsregister: AG Stade HRB 5811 - UstId: DE 213645563
      *) EUR 0,12/Min. (CNS24)

      Unterst├╝tzen auch Sie den
      Bau der K├╝stenautobahn A22: http://www.a22-jetzt.de