feedback requested on possible talks for 2005 conferences

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 28, 2005
      It's that time of year when Perl conferences ask for submissions. Last
      year I asked for some feedback on what subjects people wanted to hear
      about, and I'll be submitting an article based on that talk for
      publication soon. Now I'm looking for some opinions on what to do this
      year.

      Here are rough descriptions of my current ideas:

      Perl MVC Frameworks for Web Development
      ---------------------------------------
      There are many frameworks for applying the model-view-controller pattern
      to web development, and Perl has no shortage of them. This talk will
      look at the options available and compare a sample application in each
      of them. We will briefly explore Apache::PageKit, Maypole,
      OpenInteract2, Catalyst, and CGI::Application, in order to help
      developers determine which one is best suited to their philosophy.

      Porting Legacy CGI Scripts to mod_perl
      --------------------------------------
      There are some easy tools for running old CGI scripts under mod_perl,
      but that won't capture the full potential of the platform. In this talk
      we will show in detail how a sloppy CGI script is turned into a clean
      mod_perl program -- that runs 20 times faster than the original.

      Getting Web Sessions Right: Fast, Easy, and Secure Session-Handling with
      mod_perl
      Session-handling should be simple, but it involves many choices and cuts
      across multiple concerns. You need to be sure your sessions will be
      unique across a cluster of machines. You need to be sure malicious
      users can't tamper with them or hijack other people's sessions. You
      also need to be sure that they are very fast and don't put a heavy load
      on your servers. This talk will describe the issues and show how to
      solve the problems, with recommendations for specific setups.

      Top 10 Perl Performance Tips
      Do you use DBI? Template Toolkit? mod_perl? BerkeleyDB? Some ways of
      using these tools are more efficient than others. In this talk, we will
      look at 10 common mistakes people make with these and other Perl
      technologies, and see how much we can speed things up by fixing them.
      The focus will be on getting big gains from low-hanging fruit, not
      obsessive changes that obfuscate code.

      So, if anyone would care to send me any feedback on which one they'd be
      most interested in hearing about, I would appreciate it.