Re: Debugging Out of Memory Errors

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 26, 2005
      Ken Simpson wrote:
      >>>Is there an equivalent in mod_perl 2?
      >>
      >>I guess it wasn't on the todo list, so we have missed it while porting mp1
      >>core modules to mp2 It looks like it's trivial to port it to mp2. Feel
      >>free to port that and post a patch to include it in the mp2 core, or
      >>someone will do that later.
      >

      > I won't have time to do that work right now, but I'll consider it for
      > a rainy day.

      You could probably also try to set $^M. Or you can use Apache::Resource
      directly.

      > Another question then: Is there a default pool size that
      > is used to allocate the Perl interpreter in a mod_perl process?

      memory pools are not used in the perl interpreter (unless you use win32).

      But see the docs for $^M in perlvar.pod.

      Recently I've learned a nice trick to handle this problem though. If you
      don't use (Apache|BSD)::Resource you can ulimit(1) max memory in your
      shell. It works perfectly.

      > If so, can that size be increased? From tracing, it seems the out of
      > memory is happening while allocating a ~3MB string within my
      > module. That doesn't seem very large, but I thought perhaps there's a
      > default that I'm trampling on.

      You should be able to reproduce this outside of modperl, in which case
      it'll qualify as a p5p question, where you will get a definitive answer
      from the perl core gurus :)