Slightly OT: best alternative to mod_perl when perl can't be used

  • snacktime
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2005
      I'm working on what will for the most part be an open source project,
      but one layer of the application needs to be closed source (but still
      free). This layer implements an api that is covered under a contract
      which limits distribution to object code only.
      The application is an open source payment system. The layer that
      needs to be distributed in object form only are the parts that connect
      to the bank networks themselves. One or two of the bank networks
      might let me release the source, but not likely at this point. And in
      any case, the source for this layer of the application is not
      something you want people messing with, and there very few reasons why
      someone would ever need to modify it.

      There are basically 3 layers to the application. One is the outward
      facing gateway that transactions get submitted to. This runs under
      mod_perl. The second layer contains the processing modules for each
      bank network. Layer one communicates with layer two via the standard
      CGI interface, although this could be changed rather easily. Layer
      three is the administrative/reporting interface.
      All three layers can run on the same or separate servers, usually the
      later for security/reliability/legal reasons.

      After evaluating several options, my first choice at this point is to
      go with python using mod_python for layer two. It fits in nicely
      with the apache/cgi framework, and should be fast enough. I also
      considered Java and Ruby. My gut feeling is that Java would end up
      adding more complexity than is desired. As for Ruby, it might work
      just great but I'm not sure what advantages it would have over Python,
      and I'm not familiar with it so that entails another learning curve I
      don't really want to go through.

      Anyone have any other suggestions?