make test failed on solaris 8

  • twhu@lucent.com
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 11, 2005
      -------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
      1. Problem Description:

      I have tried the httpd-2.0.49 with mod_perl 1.9913 dev version and
      the make test ran ok. However, the httpd-2.0.52 with the current
      mod_perl RC3 cannot start when I did "make test".

      This problem has been happened on and off when I tried with different
      versions of mod_perl 2.0. I have tried 1.999021 snapshoot and it got
      the same problem. I have tried perl 5.8.6 too.

      2. Used Components and their Configuration:

      *** mod_perl version 1.999020

      *** using /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC3/lib/Apache/BuildConfig.pm

      *** Makefile.PL options:
      MP_APR_LIB => aprext
      MP_APXS => /s5/twh/apache252/bin/apxs
      MP_COMPAT_1X => 1
      MP_DEBUG => 1
      MP_GENERATE_XS => 1
      MP_INST_APACHE2 => 1
      MP_LIBNAME => mod_perl
      MP_TRACE => 1
      MP_USE_DSO => 1

      *** /s5/twh/apache252/bin/httpd -V
      Server version: Apache/2.0.52
      Server built: Jan 7 2005 15:33:40
      Server's Module Magic Number: 20020903:9
      Architecture: 32-bit
      Server compiled with....
      -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
      -D APR_HAS_MMAP
      -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
      -D APR_USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZE
      -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
      -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
      -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
      -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
      -D HTTPD_ROOT="/s5/twh/apache252"
      -D SUEXEC_BIN="/s5/twh/apache252/bin/suexec"
      -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
      -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
      -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
      -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
      -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
      -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

      *** (apr|apu)-config linking info

      -L/s5/twh/apache252/lib -lapr-0 -lrt -lm -lsocket -lnsl -lresolv -lpthread
      -L/s5/twh/apache252/lib -laprutil-0 -lexpat

      *** /opt1/perl580/bin/perl -V
      Summary of my perl5 (revision 5 version 8 subversion 5) configuration:
      Platform:
      osname=solaris, osvers=2.8, archname=sun4-solaris
      uname='sunos ln 5.8 generic_117350-01 sun4u sparc '
      config_args='-Dcc=gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/ -Dprefix=/opt1/perl580'
      usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef usemultiplicity=undef
      useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
      use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
      usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
      Compiler:
      cc='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/', ccflags ='-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/opt/exp/gnu/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
      optimize='-O',
      cppflags='-fno-strict-aliasing -pipe -I/opt/exp/gnu/include'
      ccversion='', gccversion='3.4.2', gccosandvers='solaris2.8'
      intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=4321
      d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=16
      ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t', lseeksize=8
      alignbytes=8, prototype=define
      Linker and Libraries:
      ld='gcc -B/usr/ccs/bin/', ldflags =' '
      libpth=/opt/exp/gnu/lib /usr/lib /usr/ccs/lib
      libs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldb -ldl -lm -lc
      perllibs=-lsocket -lnsl -ldl -lm -lc
      libc=/lib/libc.so, so=so, useshrplib=false, libperl=libperl.a
      gnulibc_version=''
      Dynamic Linking:
      dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags=' -Wl,-E'
      cccdlflags='-fPIC', lddlflags=' -Wl,-E -G'

      Compile-time options: USE_LARGE_FILES
      Built under solaris
      Compiled at Oct 21 2004 07:28:54
      %ENV:
      PERL_LWP_USE_HTTP_10="1"
      @INC:
      /opt1/perl580/lib/5.8.5/sun4-solaris
      /opt1/perl580/lib/5.8.5
      /opt1/perl580/lib/site_perl/5.8.5/sun4-solaris
      /opt1/perl580/lib/site_perl/5.8.5
      /opt1/perl580/lib/site_perl/5.8.2/sun4-solaris
      /opt1/perl580/lib/site_perl/5.8.2
      /opt1/perl580/lib/site_perl/5.6.0
      /opt1/perl580/lib/site_perl
      .

      *** Packages of interest status:

      Apache::Request: -
      CGI : 3.05
      LWP : 5.50, 5.800
      mod_perl : 1.29, 1.29, 1.9913

      3. This is the core dump trace: (if you get a core dump):

      [CORE TRACE COMES HERE]

      This report was generated by ./t/REPORT on Tue Jan 11 19:15:57 2005 GMT.

      -------------8<---------- End Bug Report --------------8<----------

      Note: Complete the rest of the details and post this bug report to
      modperl <at> perl.apache.org. To subscribe to the list send an empty
      email to modperl-subscribe@....
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 21, 2005
        twhu@... wrote:
        > -------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
        > 1. Problem Description:
        >
        > I have tried the httpd-2.0.49 with mod_perl 1.9913 dev version and
        > the make test ran ok. However, the httpd-2.0.52 with the current
        > mod_perl RC3 cannot start when I did "make test".
        >
        > This problem has been happened on and off when I tried with different
        > versions of mod_perl 2.0. I have tried 1.999021 snapshoot and it got
        > the same problem. I have tried perl 5.8.6 too.

        But how do we know what the symptoms are? Please post the output of 'make
        test' and the contents of t/logs/error_log.

      • Tulan W. Hu
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 24, 2005
          >From: "Stas Bekman" <stas@...>
          >> twhu@... wrote:
          > > -------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
          > > 1. Problem Description:
          > >
          > > I have tried the httpd-2.0.49 with mod_perl 1.9913 dev version and
          > > the make test ran ok. However, the httpd-2.0.52 with the current
          > > mod_perl RC3 cannot start when I did "make test".
          > >
          > > This problem has been happened on and off when I tried with different
          > > versions of mod_perl 2.0. I have tried 1.999021 snapshoot and it got
          > > the same problem. I have tried perl 5.8.6 too.
          >
          > But how do we know what the symptoms are? Please post the output of 'make
          > test' and the contents of t/logs/error_log.

          There was nothing under the t/logs directory because it was time-out.
          It failed to start the httpd.
          I had installed a version like this situation before and I got a core dump
          when I tried to start it.

          Tulan
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 24, 2005
            Tulan W. Hu wrote:
            >>From: "Stas Bekman" <stas@...>
            >>
            >>>twhu@... wrote:
            >>>-------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
            >>>1. Problem Description:
            >>>
            >>> I have tried the httpd-2.0.49 with mod_perl 1.9913 dev version and
            >>> the make test ran ok. However, the httpd-2.0.52 with the current
            >>> mod_perl RC3 cannot start when I did "make test".
            >>>
            >>> This problem has been happened on and off when I tried with different
            >>> versions of mod_perl 2.0. I have tried 1.999021 snapshoot and it got
            >>> the same problem. I have tried perl 5.8.6 too.
            >>
            >>But how do we know what the symptoms are? Please post the output of 'make
            >>test' and the contents of t/logs/error_log.
            >

            > There was nothing under the t/logs directory because it was time-out.
            > It failed to start the httpd.
            > I had installed a version like this situation before and I got a core dump
            > when I tried to start it.

            In which case start the server under strace(1)/truss(1) or whatever the
            equivalent is under solaris and see why it bails out. It could be blocking
            due to an insufficient entropy in your /dev/random device.
            http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#Server_Hanging_at_the_Startup

            some example of how to work with strace(1) can be found here:
            http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/debug.html#Using_the_System_Calls_Trace

          • Tulan W. Hu
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 25, 2005

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 25, 2005
                Tulan W. Hu wrote:

                >>I think I need to fix the syntax error in the httpd.conf first.
                >>however, I cannot just modify the httpd.conf file under t/conf
                >>since it will be overwrite when I run make test.

                Run t/TEST instead of 'make test', in which case t/conf/httpd.conf is
                *not* overwritten. You can do t/TEST -start / t/TEST -stop. But see below
                (it's the best to just start httpd manually in this case)

                >>===========================================
                >>The line 960 of httpd.conf file:
                >>
                >>....cut...
                >> AuthType Basic
                >> AuthName "Access"
                >> Require user goo bar #####this is the line 960
                >> Require group bar tar
                >> <Limit POST>
                >> Require valid-user
                >> </Limit>
                >>....cut....
                >>
                >>=================================================
                >>
                >>$ truss ../httpd -d t -f conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DONE_PROCESS -DNO_DETATCH
                >>output:
                >>....cut....
                >>Syntax error on line 960 of t/conf/httpd.conf:
                >>write(2, " S y n t a x e r r o r".., 47) = 47
                >>require takes 1-2 arguments,
                >>write(2, " r e q u i r e t a k e".., 30) = 30
                >>llseek(0, 0, SEEK_CUR) = 184313
                >>_exit(1)

                Hmm, Require is a core directive, so it should be there. I don't quite
                understand why you don't see this error in the normal STDERR output. what
                happens when you run the above w/o truss?

                can you start apache w/o mod_perl (i.e. with a default httpd.conf)? if
                yes, copy the "Require" parts of section around line 960 into the default
                httpd.conf and try again. does it still work?

              • Philippe M. Chiasson
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 25, 2005
                  Tulan W. Hu wrote:
                  >[...]
                  >>
                  >>$ strace ../httpd -d t -f t/conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DONE_PROCESS -DNO_DETATCH
                  >>strace output:
                  >>ERROR: unable to open /dev/log
                  >>**** maybe i need to install some patches?
                  >>**** as i remember, we installed a patch to have /dev/random available.

                  You are on Solaris, so you are looking for 'truss', not strace.

                  >> [...]
                  http://gozer.ectoplasm.org/ F9BF E0C2 480E 7680 1AE5 3631 CB32 A107 88C3A5A5
                • Tulan W. Hu
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 26, 2005
                    > >>I think I need to fix the syntax error in the httpd.conf first.
                    > >>however, I cannot just modify the httpd.conf file under t/conf
                    > >>since it will be overwrite when I run make test.
                    >
                    > Run t/TEST instead of 'make test', in which case t/conf/httpd.conf is
                    > *not* overwritten. You can do t/TEST -start / t/TEST -stop. But see below
                    > (it's the best to just start httpd manually in this case)
                    >
                    > >>===========================================
                    > >>The line 960 of httpd.conf file:
                    > >>
                    > >>....cut...
                    > >> AuthType Basic
                    > >> AuthName "Access"
                    > >> Require user goo bar #####this is the line 960
                    > >> Require group bar tar
                    > >> <Limit POST>
                    > >> Require valid-user
                    > >> </Limit>
                    > >>....cut....
                    > >>
                    > >>=================================================
                    > >>
                    > >>$ truss ../httpd -d t -f
                    conf/httpd.conf -DAPACHE2 -DONE_PROCESS -DNO_DETATCH
                    > >>output:
                    > >>....cut....
                    > >>Syntax error on line 960 of t/conf/httpd.conf:
                    > >>write(2, " S y n t a x e r r o r".., 47) = 47
                    > >>require takes 1-2 arguments,
                    > >>write(2, " r e q u i r e t a k e".., 30) = 30
                    > >>llseek(0, 0, SEEK_CUR) = 184313
                    > >>_exit(1)
                    >
                    > Hmm, Require is a core directive, so it should be there. I don't quite
                    > understand why you don't see this error in the normal STDERR output. what
                    > happens when you run the above w/o truss?

                    I do see the syntax error when I ran make test.

                    > can you start apache w/o mod_perl (i.e. with a default httpd.conf)? if
                    > yes, copy the "Require" parts of section around line 960 into the default
                    > httpd.conf and try again. does it still work?

                    I think this is odd too. Both 2.0.49 and 2.0.52 show up syntax error for me
                    on "Require user goo bar". (I comment out Load modperl in httpd.conf)
                    As it said, the Require only takes 1-2 arguments.
                    It seems to be ok if I put a quote for goo and bar.
                    Require user 'goo bar' seems to get rid of syntax error.
                    FYI - mod_perl 1.99_13dev version that worked for me only has
                    "Require valid-user", also it was built with perl 5.8.2 instead of perl
                    5.8.5.
                    However, I still have problem on

                    $ t/TEST -start # i ran this with Require user 'goo bar' in the httpd.conf
                    [warning] Skipping 'set unlimited ulimit for coredumps', since we are
                    running as a non-root user on Solaris
                    /s5/twh/apache2/bin/httpd -d
                    /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t -f
                    /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/httpd.conf -D APACHE2
                    using Apache/2.0.49 (prefork MPM)

                    waiting 120 seconds for server to start: ..[Wed Jan 26 07:31:45 2005] [info]
                    7 Apache:: modules loaded
                    [Wed Jan 26 07:31:45 2005] [info] 0 APR:: modules loaded
                    [Wed Jan 26 07:31:45 2005] [info] base server + 27 vhosts ready to run tests
                    ..[Wed Jan 26 07:31:48 2005] [error] Insecure directory in $ENV{PATH} while
                    running with -T switch at
                    /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestC
                    onfig.pm line 1062.\nCompilation failed in require at
                    /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl
                    line 17.\n\t...propagated at
                    /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl
                    line 18.\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
                    /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl
                    line 20.\nCompilation failed in require at (eval 2) line 1.\n
                    [Wed Jan 26 07:31:48 2005] [error] Can't load Perl file:
                    /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl
                    for server localhost:8529, exiting...
                    waiting 120 seconds for server to start: not ok
                    [ error] giving up after 121 secs. If you think that your system
                    is slow or overloaded try again with a longer timeout value.
                    by setting the environment variable APACHE_TEST_STARTUP_TIMEOUT
                    to a high value (e.g. 420) and repeat the last command.

                    [ error] server failed to start! (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start
                    the server in the debug mode)
                  • Tulan W. Hu
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 26, 2005
                      We have two private add on modules that have been converted
                      from v1.x to v2. I'll check them again.

                      Tulan

> [...]
                      > line 17.\n\t...propagated at
                      > /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl
                      > line 18.\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
                      > /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl
                      > line 20.\nCompilation failed in require at (eval 2) line 1.\n
                      > [Wed Jan 26 07:31:48 2005] [error] Can't load Perl file:
                      > /s5/twh/papache/httpd-2.0.52/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl
                      > for server localhost:8529, exiting...

                      > waiting 120 seconds for server to start: not ok
                      > [ error] giving up after 121 secs. If you think that your system
                      > is slow or overloaded try again with a longer timeout value.
                      > by setting the environment variable APACHE_TEST_STARTUP_TIMEOUT
                      > to a high value (e.g. 420) and repeat the last command.
                      >
                      > [ error] server failed to start! (t/logs/error_log wasn't created, start

                    • Tulan W. Hu
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 26, 2005
                        only can post partial output from truss
                        because i got mail failure notify from apache site.
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 26, 2005
                          Tulan, in the future please refrain from posting 1MB emails to the public
                          mailing list. The best way to accomplish that is to upload the file
                          somewhere and post a link here.

                          Besides there is no need to post a truss output to debug a perl error.
                          (usually).

                          Tulan W. Hu wrote:
                          > I found a line in our private module
                          > AP_INIT_TAKE12("require",
                          > set_subscribe_slot,(void*)APR_XtOffsetOf(LN_auth_config_rec,
                          > auth_LNgrpfile),OR_AUTHCFG, "" ), ...
                          > I changed it to
                          > AP_INIT_RAW_ARGS("require",.....)

                          Hehe, nice :)

                          > The syntax error problem was solved but I'm still having the following:
                          > ..[Wed Jan 26 10:46:33 2005] [error] Insecure directory in $ENV{PATH}
                          > while running with -T switch at
                          > /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm
                          > line 1062.\nCompilation failed in require at
                          > /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl line
                          > 17.\n\t...propagated at
                          > /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl line
                          > 18.\nBEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
                          > /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/modperl_startup.pl line
                          > 20.\nCompilation failed in require at (eval 2) line 1.\n

                          Please take a look at Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm

                          sub open_cmd {
                          my($self, $cmd) = @_;
                          # untaint some %ENV fields
                          local @ENV{ qw(IFS CDPATH ENV BASH_ENV) };
                          local $ENV{PATH} = untaint_path($ENV{PATH});

                          # launder for -T
                          $cmd = $1 if $cmd =~ /(.*)/;

                          my $handle = Symbol::gensym();
                          open $handle, "$cmd|" or die "$cmd failed: $!";

                          return $handle;
                          }

                          it calls untaint_path($ENV{PATH}) in the same file. Please take a look at
                          that function and see if you can fix it.

                          If you don't figure out, please apply the patch below and post the console
                          output at the server startup. Thanks.

                          Index: Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm
                          --- Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm (revision 126051)
                          +++ Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm (working copy)
                          @@ -1053,7 +1053,9 @@
                          my($self, $cmd) = @_;
                          # untaint some %ENV fields
                          local @ENV{ qw(IFS CDPATH ENV BASH_ENV) };
                          + warn "PATH BEFORE: $ENV{PATH}\n";
                          local $ENV{PATH} = untaint_path($ENV{PATH});
                          + warn "PATH AFTER: $ENV{PATH}\n";

                          # launder for -T
                          $cmd = $1 if $cmd =~ /(.*)/;

                        • Tulan W. Hu
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 27, 2005
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 27, 2005
                              Tulan W. Hu wrote:
> [...]

                              If you don't show us what you have in there, we can't fix it. So it's the
                              best that you do (feel free to email me offlist if you think that the
                              information in that path is somewhat sensitive. untaint_path is supposed
                              to deal with any path. I guess you have a new case we didn't encounter yet.

                              > I have hard coded to the needed path in the variable. I never had
                              > this problem before. It must be now tighter on the security issues.
                              > The results looks much better then it was before. Some skipped
                              > because I don't have proxy or multi-thread env.
                              > Would you tell me if pseudo_http failure is ok?

                              It's actually two tests.

                              Please follow the intructions in this section:
                              http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#_C_make_test___Failures
                              and we will look at it.

                              Also you may want to get Apache's mod_deflate installed so you get less
                              tests skipped and more tested.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jan 28, 2005
                                > From: "Stas Bekman"
                                > Tulan W. Hu wrote:

                                I have carefully checked my PATH. I found out the problem is my PATH
                                contains "/usr/bin:.:/usr/java/bin:$OLDPATH:/usr/local/bin.....".
                                where the $OLDPATH was not defined.
                                This became an empty spot, "$path::$other_long_pathes", and caused the
                                security error.
                                You may want to add the case in the untaint_path.

                                > It's actually two tests.
                                >
                                > Please follow the intructions in this section:

                                http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#_C_make_test___Failures
                                > and we will look at it.

                                Here are the output on errors:
                                ok 4
                                # send: foobar
                                # testing : banner
                                # expected: Welcome to TestProtocol::pseudo_http
                                # received: Access Denied
                                # Failed test 5 in t/protocol/pseudo_http.t at line 57
                                not ok 5
                                # testing : date
                                # Failed test 6 in t/protocol/pseudo_http.t at line 63 fail #4
                                # expected: Available commands: date quit
                                # received:
                                not ok 6
                                # Failed test 7 in t/protocol/pseudo_http.t at line 63 fail #5
                                # send: date
                                # testing : quit
                                # expected: (?-xism:The time is:)
                                # Failed test 8 in t/protocol/pseudo_http.t at line 57 fail #2
                                # received:
                                not ok 7
                                # send: quit
                                # testing : end of transmission
                                # expected: Goodbye
                                # received:
                                not ok 8
                                ok 9

                                > Also you may want to get Apache's mod_deflate installed so you get less
                                > tests skipped and more tested.

                                ok, i'll add it to apache next time i build it.
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 28, 2005
                                  Tulan W. Hu wrote:
                                  >>From: "Stas Bekman"
                                  >>Tulan W. Hu wrote:

                                  Right. This patch should handle this case. Please confirm that it does.
                                  Thanks.

                                  Index: Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm
                                  --- Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm (revision 148914)
                                  +++ Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm (working copy)
                                  @@ -1699,9 +1699,8 @@
                                  ($path) = ( $path =~ /(.*)/ );
                                  # win32 uses ';' for a path separator, assume others use ':'
                                  my $sep = WIN32 ? ';' : ':';
                                  - # -T disallows relative directories in the PATH
                                  - $path = join $sep, grep !/^\./, split /$sep/, $path;
                                  - return $path;
                                  + # -T disallows relative and empty directories in the PATH
                                  + return join $sep, grep !/^(\.|$)/, split /$sep/, $path;
                                  }

                                  sub pop_dir {

                                  >>It's actually two tests.
                                  >>
                                  >>Please follow the intructions in this section:
                                  >>

                                  > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#_C_make_test___Failures
                                  >
                                  >>and we will look at it.
                                  >

                                  > Here are the output on errors:
                                  > ok 4
                                  > # send: foobar
                                  > # testing : banner
                                  > # expected: Welcome to TestProtocol::pseudo_http
                                  > # received: Access Denied
                                  > # Failed test 5 in t/protocol/pseudo_http.t at line 57
                                  > not ok 5
                                  > # testing : date
                                  > # Failed test 6 in t/protocol/pseudo_http.t at line 63 fail #4
                                  > # expected: Available commands: date quit
                                  > # received:
                                  > not ok 6
                                  > # Failed test 7 in t/protocol/pseudo_http.t at line 63 fail #5
                                  > # send: date
                                  > # testing : quit
                                  > # expected: (?-xism:The time is:)
                                  > # Failed test 8 in t/protocol/pseudo_http.t at line 57 fail #2
                                  > # received:
                                  > not ok 7
                                  > # send: quit
                                  > # testing : end of transmission
                                  > # expected: Goodbye
                                  > # received:
                                  > not ok 8
                                  > ok 9

                                  Please re-read:
                                  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#_C_make_test___Failures
                                  and try again :) (hint: you didn't supply all the info requested)

                                • Tulan W. Hu
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 28, 2005

                                    ***** the patch works ok. (tried both perl 5.8.5 and perl 5.8.6)

                                    > Thanks.
                                    >
                                    > Index: Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm
                                    > --- Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm (revision 148914)
                                    > +++ Apache-Test/lib/Apache/TestConfig.pm (working copy)
                                    > @@ -1699,9 +1699,8 @@
                                    > ($path) = ( $path =~ /(.*)/ );
                                    > # win32 uses ';' for a path separator, assume others use ':'
                                    > my $sep = WIN32 ? ';' : ':';
                                    > - # -T disallows relative directories in the PATH
                                    > - $path = join $sep, grep !/^\./, split /$sep/, $path;
                                    > - return $path;
                                    > + # -T disallows relative and empty directories in the PATH
                                    > + return join $sep, grep !/^(\.|$)/, split /$sep/, $path;
                                    > }
                                    >
                                    > sub pop_dir {

                                    Attached error_log is from
                                    $ t/TEST -clean
                                    $ t/TEST -verbose protocol/pseudo_http.t
                                    and Registryerrlog.txt is from the ModPerl-Registry dir
                                    $ t/TEST -clean
                                    $ t/TEST -verbose closure.t
                                    6-ok on the output.

                                    I guess they are ok since the "harmless" messages are in the log files.
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jan 28, 2005
                                      > ***** the patch works ok. (tried both perl 5.8.5 and perl 5.8.6)

                                      thanks, committed.

                                      > Attached error_log is from
                                      > $ t/TEST -clean
                                      > $ t/TEST -verbose protocol/pseudo_http.t
                                      > and Registryerrlog.txt is from the ModPerl-Registry dir

                                      no need to send the ModPerl-Registry dir, it's a different test suite.

                                      > $ t/TEST -clean
                                      > $ t/TEST -verbose closure.t
                                      > 6-ok on the output.
                                      >
                                      > I guess they are ok since the "harmless" messages are in the log files.

                                      I'm not sure what went wrong, but there is nothing in the log. And there
                                      must be something since you had 'Access Denied'

                                      Please do:

                                      t/TEST -clean
                                      t/TEST -verbose t/protocol/pseudo_http.t t/apr/util.t

                                      and paste here (1) the console output and (2) t/logs/error_log

                                      thanks.

                                    • Tulan W. Hu
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jan 31, 2005
                                        > I'm not sure what went wrong, but there is nothing in the log. And there
                                        > must be something since you had 'Access Denied'

                                        Does it need to access on internet? I need to have a proxy setting to go
                                        out.

                                        > Please do:
                                        >
                                        > t/TEST -clean
                                        > t/TEST -verbose t/protocol/pseudo_http.t t/apr/util.t
                                        >
                                        > and paste here (1) the console output and

                                        [warning] Skipping 'set unlimited ulimit for coredumps', since we are
                                        running as a non-root user on Solaris
                                        /s5/twh/apache252/bin/httpd -d /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t -f
                                        /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/conf/httpd.conf -D APACHE2
                                        using Apache/2.0.52 (prefork MPM)

                                        waiting 120 seconds for server to start: .[Mon Jan 31 09:16:47 2005] [info]
                                        7 Apache:: modules loaded
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:16:47 2005] [info] 0 APR:: modules loaded
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:16:47 2005] [info] base server + 27 vhosts ready to run tests
                                        waiting 120 seconds for server to start: ok (waited 11 secs)
                                        server localhost:8529 started
                                        server localhost:8530 listening (filter_out_apache)
                                        server localhost:8531 listening (TestModperl::merge)
                                        server localhost:8532 listening (TestModperl::perl_options)
                                        server localhost:8533 listening (TestModperl::setupenv)
                                        server localhost:8534 listening (TestModules::proxy)
                                        server localhost:8535 listening (TestUser::rewrite)
                                        server localhost:8536 listening (TestVhost::config)
                                        server localhost:8537 listening (TestVhost::log)
                                        server localhost:8538 listening (TestProtocol::echo_bbs)
                                        server localhost:8539 listening (TestProtocol::echo_bbs2)
                                        server localhost:8540 listening (TestProtocol::echo_block)
                                        server localhost:8541 listening (TestProtocol::echo_filter)
                                        server localhost:8542 listening (TestProtocol::echo_nonblock)
                                        server localhost:8543 listening (TestProtocol::echo_timeout)
                                        server localhost:8544 listening (TestProtocol::pseudo_http)
                                        server localhost:8545 listening (TestPreConnection::note)
                                        server localhost:8546 listening (TestHooks::hookrun)
                                        server localhost:8547 listening (TestHooks::init)
                                        server localhost:8548 listening (TestHooks::stacked_handlers2)
                                        server localhost:8549 listening (TestHooks::startup)
                                        server localhost:8550 listening (TestHooks::trans)
                                        server localhost:8551 listening (TestFilter::both_str_con_add)
                                        server localhost:8552 listening (TestFilter::in_bbs_inject_header)
                                        server localhost:8553 listening (TestFilter::in_bbs_msg)
                                        server localhost:8554 listening (TestFilter::in_str_msg)
                                        server localhost:8555 listening (TestDirective::perlmodule)
                                        server localhost:8556 listening (TestDirective::perlrequire)
                                        server localhost:8557 listening (TestDirective::perlloadmodule3)
                                        server localhost:8558 listening (TestDirective::perlloadmodule4)
                                        server localhost:8559 listening (TestDirective::perlloadmodule5)
                                        server localhost:8560 listening (TestDirective::perlloadmodule6)
                                        t/protocol/pseudo_http....# connecting to localhost:8544
                                        1..13
                                        # Running under perl version 5.008006 for solaris
                                        # Current time local: Mon Jan 31 09:16:59 2005
                                        # Current time GMT: Mon Jan 31 14:16:59 2005
                                        # Using Test.pm version 1.25
                                        # Using Apache/Test.pm version 1.21
                                        ok 1
                                        # testing : greeting
                                        # expected: HELO
                                        # received: HELO
                                        ok 2
                                        # send: HELO
                                        # testing : login
                                        # expected: Login:
                                        # received: Login:
                                        ok 3
                                        # send: stas
                                        # testing : good password
                                        # expected: Password:
                                        # received: Password:
[...]
                                        ok 10
                                        # send: HELO
                                        # testing : login
                                        # expected: Login:
                                        # received: Login:
                                        ok 11
                                        # send: stas
                                        # testing : wrong password
                                        # expected: Password:
                                        # received: Password:
                                        ok 12
                                        # send: foObaR
                                        # testing : end of transmission
                                        # expected: Access Denied
                                        # received: Access Denied
                                        ok 13
                                        FAILED tests 5-8
                                        Failed 4/13 tests, 69.23% okay
                                        t/apr/util................1..4
                                        # Running under perl version 5.008006 for solaris
                                        # Current time local: Mon Jan 31 09:16:52 2005
                                        # Current time GMT: Mon Jan 31 14:16:52 2005
                                        # Using Test.pm version 1.25
                                        # Using Apache/Test.pm version 1.21
                                        ok 1
                                        # crypt
                                        ok 2
                                        # sha1
                                        not ok 3
                                        # md5
                                        ok 4
                                        FAILED test 3
                                        Failed 1/4 tests, 75.00% okay
                                        Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of Failed
                                        ---
                                        t/apr/util.t 4 1 25.00% 3
                                        t/protocol/pseudo_http.t 13 4 30.77% 5-8
                                        Failed 2/2 test scripts, 0.00% okay. 5/17 subtests failed, 70.59% okay.
                                        [warning] server localhost:8529 shutdown
                                        [ error] error running tests (please examine t/logs/error_log)

                                        > (2) t/logs/error_log

                                        END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=24519
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:12:27 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.52 (Unix) world domination
                                        series
                                        /2.0 mod_perl/1.999.21 Perl/v5.8.6 configured -- resuming normal operations
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:12:27 2005] [info] Server built: Jan 26 2005 08:09:45
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:12:27 2005] [debug] prefork.c(955): AcceptMutex: pthread
                                        (default
                                        : pthread)

                                        *** The following error entry is expected and harmless ***
                                        # Failed test 3 in
                                        /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/lib/TestAPRlib/util.pm a
                                        t line 44 fail #2
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:12:34 2005] [info] Child process pid=24721 is exiting
                                        END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=24721
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:12:34 2005] [info] Child process pid=24724 is exiting
                                        END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=24724
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:12:34 2005] [info] removed PID file
                                        /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.
                                        0-RC4/t/logs/httpd.pid (pid=24619)
                                        [Mon Jan 31 09:12:34 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
                                        END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=24619
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 1, 2005
                                          Tulan W. Hu wrote:
                                          >>I'm not sure what went wrong, but there is nothing in the log. And there
                                          >>must be something since you had 'Access Denied'
                                          >

                                          > Does it need to access on internet? I need to have a proxy setting to go
                                          > out.

                                          No, no, none of the tests require that.

                                          >>Please do:
                                          >>
                                          >>t/TEST -clean
                                          >>t/TEST -verbose t/protocol/pseudo_http.t t/apr/util.t

                                          > t/protocol/pseudo_http....# connecting to localhost:8544

                                          > # send: foobar
                                          > # testing : banner
                                          > # expected: Welcome to TestProtocol::pseudo_http
                                          > # received: Access Denied
                                          > not ok 5

                                          So for some reason one of the AAA phases fail. Please apply this patch, run:

                                          t/TEST -clean
                                          t/TEST -verbose t/protocol/pseudo_http.t

                                          and post only t/logs/error_log.

                                          Index: t/protocol/TestProtocol/pseudo_http.pm
                                          --- t/protocol/TestProtocol/pseudo_http.pm (revision 148914)
                                          +++ t/protocol/TestProtocol/pseudo_http.pm (working copy)
                                          @@ -84,6 +84,8 @@
                                          for my $method (qw(run_access_checker run_check_user_id
                                          run_auth_checker)) {

                                          + warn "starting method: $method\n";
                                          +
                                          my $rc = $r->$method();

                                          if ($rc != Apache::OK and $rc != Apache::DECLINED) {
                                          @@ -98,8 +100,13 @@
                                          my $username = prompt($socket, "Login");
                                          my $password = prompt($socket, "Password");

                                          + warn "u/p: $username/$password\n";
                                          +
                                          $r->set_basic_credentials($username, $password);
                                          }
                                          +
                                          + warn "finished method: $method\n";
                                          +
                                          }

                                          return Apache::OK;

                                          > t/apr/util................1..4
                                          > # Running under perl version 5.008006 for solaris
                                          > # Current time local: Mon Jan 31 09:16:52 2005
                                          > # Current time GMT: Mon Jan 31 14:16:52 2005
                                          > # Using Test.pm version 1.25
                                          > # Using Apache/Test.pm version 1.21
                                          > ok 1
                                          > # crypt
                                          > ok 2
                                          > # sha1
                                          > not ok 3

                                          here the sha1 fails. it's strange because apparently the same test running
                                          outside of modperl (i.e. t/apr-ext/util.t) doesn't have this problem. Is
                                          that correct? Can you post the output of:

                                          t/TEST -v t/apr-ext/util.t

                                        • Tulan W. Hu
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                                            1) Don't worry about the t/TEST -verbose t/apr/util.t anymore.
                                            The problem went away after I removed all RC4 and rebuilt it.
                                            don't really know what had happened.

                                            2) After you mentioned AAA, I thought about our private modules again.
                                            By default, they use cookie to authenticate instead of userid and passwd.
                                            Unless the browser is set no cookie accept, the uid/pass will be prompted.
                                            So that I tend to think that it may not be issues for those failures.
                                            My question is if I can setup it not to use cookies in the test cases or the
                                            conf file.

                                            Our mp1 httpd.conf has
                                            <directory /www/force/enter/uid/for/this/one>
                                            AuthCookieName NoCookieUsed
                                            AuthName "enter uid and password)"
                                            AuthType BasiC
                                            <limit GET POST>
                                            require valid-user
                                            </limit>
                                            </directory>

                                            $ t/TEST -clean
                                            $ t/TEST -verbose t/protocol/pseudo_http.t
                                            ====error_log
                                            END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=2338
                                            [Wed Feb 02 07:23:35 2005] [notice] Apache/2.0.52 (Unix) world domination
                                            series
                                            /2.0 mod_perl/1.999.21 Perl/v5.8.6 configured -- resuming normal operations
                                            [Wed Feb 02 07:23:35 2005] [info] Server built: Jan 31 2005 15:14:31
                                            [Wed Feb 02 07:23:35 2005] [debug] prefork.c(955): AcceptMutex: fcntl
                                            (default:fcntl)
                                            starting method: run_access_checker
                                            u/p: stas/foobar
                                            finished method: run_access_checker
                                            starting method: run_check_user_id
                                            starting method: run_access_checker

                                            *** The following error entry is expected and harmless ***
                                            u/p: stas/foObaR
                                            finished method: run_access_checker
                                            starting method: run_check_user_id
                                            [Wed Feb 02 07:23:39 2005] [info] Child process pid=2580 is exiting
                                            [Wed Feb 02 07:23:39 2005] [info] Child process pid=2582 is exiting
                                            END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=2580
                                            END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=2582
                                            [Wed Feb 02 07:23:39 2005] [info] Child process pid=2694 is exiting
                                            END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=2694
                                            [Wed Feb 02 07:23:39 2005] [info] removed PID file
                                            /s5/twh/papache/mod_perl-2.0.0-RC4/t/logs/httpd.pid (pid=2462)
                                            [Wed Feb 02 07:23:39 2005] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
                                            END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=2462
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 2, 2005
                                              Tulan W. Hu wrote:
                                              > 1) Don't worry about the t/TEST -verbose t/apr/util.t anymore.
                                              > The problem went away after I removed all RC4 and rebuilt it.
                                              > don't really know what had happened.

                                              Cool.

                                              > 2) After you mentioned AAA, I thought about our private modules again.
                                              > By default, they use cookie to authenticate instead of userid and passwd.
                                              > Unless the browser is set no cookie accept, the uid/pass will be prompted.
                                              > So that I tend to think that it may not be issues for those failures.
                                              > My question is if I can setup it not to use cookies in the test cases or the
                                              > conf file.
                                              >
                                              > Our mp1 httpd.conf has
                                              > <directory /www/force/enter/uid/for/this/one>
                                              > AuthCookieName NoCookieUsed
                                              > AuthName "enter uid and password)"
                                              > AuthType BasiC
                                              > <limit GET POST>
                                              > require valid-user
                                              > </limit>
                                              > </directory>

                                              You mean some AAA bits of your global httpd.conf make it into
                                              t/conf/httpd.conf?

                                              > $ t/TEST -clean
                                              > $ t/TEST -verbose t/protocol/pseudo_http.t
                                              > ====error_log

                                              > starting method: run_access_checker
                                              > u/p: stas/foobar
                                              > finished method: run_access_checker
                                              > starting method: run_check_user_id

                                              So it fais the run_check_user_id phase, performed by:
                                              <IfModule mod_auth.c>
                                              # htpasswd -mbc basic-auth stas foobar
                                              # using md5 password so it'll work on win32 too
                                              AuthUserFile [...]/t/htdocs/protocols/basic-auth
                                              </IfModule>
                                              Require user stas

                                              (see the TestProtocol::pseudo_http entry in t/conf/httpd.conf).
                                              What's inside that file? Should be:

                                              stas:$apr1$qnKIk...$TRSGo5zlwo3LMc0R/iLWo/

                                              see if recreating it with:

                                              htpasswd -mbc t/htdocs/protocols/basic-auth stas foobar

                                              makes any difference.