Re: mod_perl and 64-bit linux

  • Fred Moyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
      > I am considering upgrading to a 64-bit Opteron-based machine running RH
      > linux. Using perl 5.8, apache 2, mod_perl. Has anyone run into any
      > problems running their mod_perl applications on a 64-bit box with a
      > 64-bit linux OS?

      I ran a mission critical web-app using Apache2/mod_perl2, and an sql
      database on Opteron using FC2 with non-threaded perl 5.8.5. I built
      apache, mod_perl, and perl from source. We didn't have any 64-bit
      related problems with the web app. The opteron is a very fast machine.

      Now, to go off the mod_perl topic for a few sentences, we did experience
      some crashes due to i/o intensive batch operations. The code was opening
      thousands of file handles very quickly. I found one relevant link on
      google which unfortunately I don't have access to anymore, but it cited a
      crash occurring while using bonnie++ for benchmarking on opteron.

      We had another issue with occasional segfaults of long running (7+ days)
      programs which consumed enormous (15G+) amounts of memory. Suffice to say
      though, we were going beyond normal usage, and encountered a few dragons.