Re: FreeBSD mod_perl2 patches

  • Lars Eggert
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
      Stas Bekman wrote:
      > Lars Eggert wrote:
      >
      >> patch-ab is required to build, otherwise I see the following error
      >> during make:
      >>
      >> Running Mkbootstrap for APR::PerlIO ()
      >> chmod 644 PerlIO.bs
      >> rm -f ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.so
      >> LD_RUN_PATH="" cc -shared -L/usr/local/lib PerlIO.o
      >> modperl_apr_perlio.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib -o
      >> ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.so
      >> chmod 755 ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.so
      >> cp PerlIO.bs ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.bs
      >> chmod 644 ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.bs
      >> make: don't know how to make dynamic. Stop
      >> *** Error code 2
      >>
      >> There is actually another fix that is in the port's Makefile:
      >>
      >> pre-install:
      >> cp WrapXS/APR/ThreadMutex/ThreadMutex.pm blib/lib/Apache2/APR/
      >>
      >> Without this, ThreadMutex.pm doesn't get installed.
      >
      > Hmm, have you tried that with the 1.99_17? AFAIK, those problems were
      > long fixed.

      This is with 1.99_17. As port maintainer, I've only ever build mod_perl2
      within the ports framework, which on FreeBSD is somewhat complex to make
      sure that files end up in the correct locations on FreeBSD.

      > In any case that patch:
      > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/www/mod_perl2/files/patch-ab?rev=1.3&content-type=text/plain
      >
      > doesn't seem to have anything to do with APR::PerlIO

      It's the target after APR::PerlIO that fails, for which the build
      procedure tries to do a "make dynamic", but the "dynamic" target doesn't
      exist.

      > are you sure that output is not a mixed output of 'make -j'?

      The FreeBSD ports building doesn't do parallel builds (make -j).

      I could email you the output of a complete build process, if that would
      help?

      Lars
      --
      Lars Eggert NEC Network Laboratories
    • Lars Eggert
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
        cglee wrote:
        > on my FreeBSD 5.3 stabe, perl 5.8.5 from port, Apache 2.0.52 from source, mod_perl 1.99_17 from source
        > $ make test
        > All tests successful
        >
        > and Web service looks good with apache2&mod_perl2&Mason1.27

        It might be that the FreeBSD ports build mechanism sets some environment
        variables or does some other things that are different from building
        from source.

        Lars
        --
        Lars Eggert NEC Network Laboratories
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
          Lars Eggert wrote:
          > Stas Bekman wrote:
          >
          >> Lars Eggert wrote:
          >>
          >>> patch-ab is required to build, otherwise I see the following error
          >>> during make:
          >>>
          >>> Running Mkbootstrap for APR::PerlIO ()
          >>> chmod 644 PerlIO.bs
          >>> rm -f ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.so
          >>> LD_RUN_PATH="" cc -shared -L/usr/local/lib PerlIO.o
          >>> modperl_apr_perlio.o -Wl,-E -L/usr/local/lib -o
          >>> ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.so
          >>> chmod 755 ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.so
          >>> cp PerlIO.bs ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.bs
          >>> chmod 644 ../../../blib/arch/Apache2/auto/APR/PerlIO/PerlIO.bs
          >>> make: don't know how to make dynamic. Stop
          >>> *** Error code 2
          >>>
          >>> There is actually another fix that is in the port's Makefile:
          >>>
          >>> pre-install:
          >>> cp WrapXS/APR/ThreadMutex/ThreadMutex.pm blib/lib/Apache2/APR/
          >>>
          >>> Without this, ThreadMutex.pm doesn't get installed.
          >>

          >> Hmm, have you tried that with the 1.99_17? AFAIK, those problems were
          >> long fixed.
          >

          > This is with 1.99_17. As port maintainer, I've only ever build mod_perl2
          > within the ports framework, which on FreeBSD is somewhat complex to make
          > sure that files end up in the correct locations on FreeBSD.
          >
          >> In any case that patch:
          >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/www/mod_perl2/files/patch-ab?rev=1.3&content-type=text/plain
          >>
          >> doesn't seem to have anything to do with APR::PerlIO
          >

          > It's the target after APR::PerlIO that fails, for which the build
          > procedure tries to do a "make dynamic", but the "dynamic" target doesn't
          > exist.

          And that target is APR::aprext or what? Run again 'make' to see what
          target it fails on.

          This was supposed to be fixed by this change:
          http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?view=rev&rev=71436

          which is part of 1.99_17

          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
            Lars Eggert wrote:
            > cglee wrote:
            >
            >> on my FreeBSD 5.3 stabe, perl 5.8.5 from port, Apache 2.0.52 from
            >> source, mod_perl 1.99_17 from source
            >> $ make test
            >> All tests successful
            >>
            >> and Web service looks good with apache2&mod_perl2&Mason1.27
            >

            > It might be that the FreeBSD ports build mechanism sets some environment
            > variables or does some other things that are different from building
            > from source.

            Most likely cglee was running gmake, while you Lars -- make, which makes a
            big diffference (but as stated in the other reply it should have been
            working with make too).

            In the future please always report problems including a full report as
            explained here: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ so we don't need to guess
            things about your environment.

            Thanks.

          • cglee
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
              > It might be that the FreeBSD ports build mechanism sets some environment
              variables or does some other things that are different from building
              from source.

              Check your Makefile in the directory mod_perl-1.99_17/xs/APR/aprext.

              $ cat ./Makefile
              dynamic ::

              # End.
              $

              you must see the 'dynamic ::'

              I have got the same error as yours when commented out the line 'dynamic ::'

              I did not touch anything in the FreeBSD port environment and used /usr/bin/make

              Check your  MakeMaker version of perl or mod_perl.

              최대 100MB, 더이상 용량 고민없는 야후! 메일을 써보세요.
              야후! 비트박스
              최신곡, 추천곡, 가요, OST, 팝송, 뮤직비디오
              야후! 모바일
              최신 휴대폰 정보, 벨소리, 캐릭터, 문자메세지
            • Lars Eggert
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                Stas Bekman wrote:

                > Most likely cglee was running gmake, while you Lars -- make, which makes
                > a big diffference (but as stated in the other reply it should have been
                > working with make too).

                I'll try that. If using gmake fixes it, that's an easy change to the
                port Makefile.

                > In the future please always report problems including a full report as
                > explained here: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ so we don't need to guess
                > things about your environment.

                Will do - thanks for the pointer and the quick diagnosis!

                Lars
                --
                Lars Eggert NEC Network Laboratories
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 1, 2004
                  Lars Eggert wrote:
                  > Stas Bekman wrote:
                  >

                  >> Most likely cglee was running gmake, while you Lars -- make, which
                  >> makes a big diffference (but as stated in the other reply it should
                  >> have been working with make too).
                  >

                  > I'll try that. If using gmake fixes it, that's an easy change to the
                  > port Makefile.

                  I'd prefer to see you getting it to work with make. Please see the
                  comments from cglee.