Re: pnotes

  • Bart Simpson
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2004
      > > Arshavir Grigorian wrote:
      > >
      > >> Hello list,
      > >>
      > >> I have module called Application which handles
      > all the requests to
      > >> the site (except for images, etc) and then
      > dispatches the request to
      > >> a different module based on the $r->path_info().
      > >>
      > >> I am thinking about creating a Template Toolkit
      > object and a DBI
      > >> handle in Application::handler() and storing it
      > in the request

      Sounds like your may be doing what i started out doing
      -- parse the path into a function call on a model
      object to get some data then pass it to a template.
      If this is on the mark, check out Maypole. I does all
      this for you. I love it and it saved me so much work
      and is soooo much better than any system i could have
      came up with myself, me being a newbie and all. Plus
      it is a great deal more fun. I literally can't imagine
      my work life without it now.

      mapole.perl.org or on CPAN.

      p.s. The base for the lone modperl handler in a
      maypole app is , called Application too. Specifically,
      Maypole::Application. :)

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
        Arshavir Grigorian wrote:
        > I have module called Application which handles all the requests to the
        > site (except for images, etc) and then dispatches the request to a
        > different module based on the $r->path_info().

        Apache::Dispatch could do this for you if you like. You could also just
        use httpd.conf to map locations to modules. Your approach wil work fine
        though.

        > I am thinking about creating a Template Toolkit object and a DBI handle
        > in Application::handler() and storing it in the request object's
        > pnotes() before dispatching the request.

        Make sure you keep the template object around between requests in a
        global. If you make a new TT object every time, you will break the
        caching of compiled templates and performance will be poor.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2004
          Perrin Harkins wrote:

          > Arshavir Grigorian wrote:
          >
          >> I have module called Application which handles all the requests to
          >> the site (except for images, etc) and then dispatches the request to
          >> a different module based on the $r->path_info().
          >

          > Apache::Dispatch could do this for you if you like. You could also
          > just use httpd.conf to map locations to modules. Your approach wil
          > work fine though.
          >
          >> I am thinking about creating a Template Toolkit object and a DBI
          >> handle in Application::handler() and storing it in the request
          >> object's pnotes() before dispatching the request.
          >

          > Make sure you keep the template object around between requests in a
          > global. If you make a new TT object every time, you will break the
          > caching of compiled templates and performance will be poor.
          >
          > - Perrin

          Thanks, Perrin. --Arshavir