problems with moving to apache2:

  • Joshua Eric Turcotte
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2004
      Well, we have a fairly large apache-modperl site currently running fine on older versions... apache1.something, modperl 1.something
      But we're faced with needing to migrate to apache2/modperl2 (or, 1.99 as it were).  It'll be a long road of fixes and updates, but right now I'm hitting a wall with the very conf of the site as it sits on our ap2.mp2 host.

      Here is our entry in the main httpd.conf ... note, i 'blah'ed out the name just for good measure.

      <VirtualHost *:80>
      DocumentRoot /home/blah/www
      <Directory "/home/blah/www">
              AllowOverride All
              Order allow,deny
              Allow from all
              Options All
              #Options +ExecCGI
      </Directory>
      ServerName blah.blah.com
      ServerAlias blah.blah.org blah.blah.net
      CustomLog /home/blah/logs/access_log common
      ErrorLog /homeblah/logs/error_log
      </VirtualHost>

      Include /usr/local/apache/vhosts/blah/conf/perlvars.conf
      <VirtualHost *>
          ServerName blah.blah.com
          ServerAlias blah.com blah.net blah.org blah.blah.org blah.blah.net

          ServerAdmin info@blah.com
          Include /usr/local/apache/vhosts/blah/conf/apache.conf
      <Location /admin>
      Options +Includes
      XBitHack on
      </Location>

      RewriteEngine on
      RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^blah.blah.org*
      RewriteRule ^/(.*)         http://blah.blah.com/$1 [L,R]
      UseCanonicalName off

          ServerAlias blah.com blah.net blah.org www.blah.org www.blah.net
      ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/local/apache/vhosts/blah/cgi-bin/
      ErrorDocument 500 /cgi-bin/error.cgi
      CustomLog /home/blah/logs/access_log combined
      ErrorLog /home/blah/logs/error_log
      </VirtualHost>
      <Directory /usr/local/apache/vhosts/blah/blahdocs>
      Options +Includes
      XBitHack on
      </Directory>

      apologies for the lengthiness... its been modified by a handful of people who are no longer around, and I'm not apache guru... my days are absorbed in the perl, but being the only one present right now, I have to deal with this.

      The above references a number of files including our local conf which has dozens of entries like this:

          <Location /helpform>
              SetHandler perl-script
              PerlResponseHandler BLAH::HelpForm

              PerlAccessHandler BLAH::Auth
              PerlSetVar Authzone BLAH
              PerlSetVar BLAHlevel 1
          </Location>
      ... these would tie into an auth system to recognize user types we use routinely... nothing anyone need worry about.

      The problem is, under apach2/modperl2, it acts as if it doesn't even see our inner configuration file...
      All I get is:

      Directory index forbidden by rule: /home/blah/www/

      and any reference to /helpform or any of the other sections (each run by a modperl handler) results in the system remarking that it has no idea what I'm talking about.

      Has anyone been through something similar?  Has there been a significant change in how this aspect of the server works? Any ideas or even references to documentations that may go over this?  I've been trolling for about 8 hours now on this without my brain wrapping around anything in particular.

      ~jet