apache::session::mysql: layout

  • Mark Copper
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      I created a table "sessions" in my db with columns "id" and "a_session"
      per the Apache::Session::Store::MySQL pod, in particular, "a_session" is
      of type text.

      Everything worked fine but I have a (rather silly) question: Why can't I
      see the key/value pairs when I simply "select a_session from sessions" at
      the mysql shell prompt?

      Sheepishly,
      Mark

    • Jayce^
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
        On Sunday 01 August 2004 03:51 pm, Mark Copper wrote:
        > I created a table "sessions" in my db with columns "id" and "a_session"
        > per the Apache::Session::Store::MySQL pod, in particular, "a_session" is
        > of type text.
        >
        > Everything worked fine but I have a (rather silly) question: Why can't I
        > see the key/value pairs when I simply "select a_session from sessions" at
        > the mysql shell prompt?

        It should be serialized data. So binary stuff that isn't represented in
        standard chars in your client.

        Jayce^
      • Casey Songer
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2004
          I could be wrong, but I think this is because the data stored in the
          a_session field, even though it is "TEXT" format, is actually stored as
          perl storage stuff that the command line can't display. All I know is it
          shows blank for me when I look at it from the mysql shell command line, but
          it works fine when I read it into my mod_perl scripts using DBI. If you
          try this command 'select * into outfile 'dump.txt' from sessions', you can
          see the actual stuff in the file you dump.

          Hope this helps.

          Casey Songer