Running separate dev/prod modperl environments

  • Nathan L. Kugland
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 30, 2004
      Hi all,

      I'm working on a mason/modperl project that needs separate development
      and production environments. I only have one machine to work with, and
      I've realized that using a single httpd process for both of these sites
      (with my current VirtualHost config) will probably result in some
      unhealthy memory sharing between the dev and prod sites. Both codebases
      are mirrors of each other, i.e. the perl package name spaces are
      identical in both environments.

      Any thoughts on how best to separate these sites on the same machine? An
      obvious solution would be to make a separate install of apache, but that
      seems overkill, since all I need (I think) to fully separate the
      environments at the apache level is a) separate instances of the httpd
      process, and b) separate httpd.conf settings (which I already have). Is
      it feasible to do it with a single apache installation?

      Thanks in advance,

      Nathan

      --

      Nathan L. Kugland
      nathan@...

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        Nathan L. Kugland wrote:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm working on a mason/modperl project that needs separate development
        > and production environments. I only have one machine to work with, and
        > I've realized that using a single httpd process for both of these sites
        > (with my current VirtualHost config) will probably result in some
        > unhealthy memory sharing between the dev and prod sites. Both codebases
        > are mirrors of each other, i.e. the perl package name spaces are
        > identical in both environments.
        >
        > Any thoughts on how best to separate these sites on the same machine? An
        > obvious solution would be to make a separate install of apache, but that
        > seems overkill, since all I need (I think) to fully separate the
        > environments at the apache level is a) separate instances of the httpd
        > process, and b) separate httpd.conf settings (which I already have). Is
        > it feasible to do it with a single apache installation?

        Absolutely. Just run the two instances on different ports. If you have
        the "Practical mod_perl" book [1] refer to the section:

        Running More than One mod_perl Server on the Same Machine

        in chapter 12: Server Setup Strategies

        [1] http://modperlbook.org/