HTTP headers - what is wrong

  • Chris Faust
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 27, 2004
      Folks,

      I need to expire a page so if a user uses his back button, he will not be able to the previous page (which as a form etc.)..

      On perl.apache.org I found
      $r->no_cache(1);

      Which works great, the problem is right before I print out any HTML, I changed

      $CGI->header
      $r->send_http_header;

      Which only seems to work in IE - if I use anything else like Netscape or Modzilla, it prints the HTML out to the screen - just like the HTML was a text document and the brower opened the text file (if that makes sense).

      Any idea?

      RH Linux 8
      Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_08 Perl/v5.8.0

      Thanks
      -Chris

    • fred@taperfriendlymusic.org
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 27, 2004
        > Which works great, the problem is right before I print out any HTML, I
        > changed
        >
        > $CGI->header
        > to $r->send_http_header;

        The method $r->send_http_header() no longer exists in mod_perl 2.0.

        See the following link
        http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html#Making_Code_Conditional_on_Running_mod_perl_Version

        > Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_08 Perl/v5.8.0

        That version of mod_perl2 is quite old - the current version is 1.99_14.
        I recommend installing 1.99_14, much has changed and many bugs have been
        fixed.

        Regards,

        Fred

      • Jean-Michel Hiver
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 27, 2004
          Chris Faust wrote:
          > Folks,
          >
          > I need to expire a page so if a user uses his back button, he will not
          > be able to the previous page (which as a form etc.)..

          Sorry if this sounds troll-ish, but IMHO if your application is designed
          in such a way that you need to sacrifice standard browser functionality
          such as the back button, then your application is very broken.

          Presumably if the user presses the back button and it doesn't work, the
          next thing that will happen is that they'll close their browser and be
          annoyed with your app... I don't see any reason for which you'd want to
          break such a basic, important piece of standard functionality.

          http://www.google.com/search?q=usability+back+button

          Cheers,
          Jean-Michel.

        • Chris Faust
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
            Thanks Fred, that did the trick...

            -Chris
            > > Which works great, the problem is right before I print out any HTML, I
            > > changed
            > >
            > > $CGI->header
            > > to $r->send_http_header;
            >
            > The method $r->send_http_header() no longer exists in mod_perl 2.0.
            >
            > See the following link

            http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html#Making_Code_Conditional_on_Running_mod_perl_Version

            > > Apache/2.0.44 (Unix) mod_perl/1.99_08 Perl/v5.8.0
            >
            > That version of mod_perl2 is quite old - the current version is 1.99_14.
            > I recommend installing 1.99_14, much has changed and many bugs have been
            > fixed.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Fred

          • Chris Faust
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
              What would you suggest for a situation where a user is entering in their
              credit card information, using their back button and submitting again and
              then complaining about a double charge? I've dealt with the submit button
              and that took care of a lot of users that double click the thing or simply
              click it again as they think its taking too long - but there are still those
              that use the back button and refresh button, both of which causes another
              transaction with Versign (actually 2 as I have to fix the bad one :).

              I've come to find out if there is any way possible at all to cause a
              problem, there will be users out there that follow that exact route.

              -Chris
              > > I need to expire a page so if a user uses his back button, he will not
              > > be able to the previous page (which as a form etc.)..
              >
              > Sorry if this sounds troll-ish, but IMHO if your application is designed
              > in such a way that you need to sacrifice standard browser functionality
              > such as the back button, then your application is very broken.
              >
              > Presumably if the user presses the back button and it doesn't work, the
              > next thing that will happen is that they'll close their browser and be
              > annoyed with your app... I don't see any reason for which you'd want to
              > break such a basic, important piece of standard functionality.
              >
              > http://www.google.com/search?q=usability+back+button
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Jean-Michel.

            • Jean-Michel Hiver
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
                Chris Faust wrote:

                >What would you suggest for a situation where a user is entering in their
                >credit card information, using their back button and submitting again and
                >then complaining about a double charge?

                I would suggest that you need to create some kind of transaction ticket.
                For example, (timestamp + 50 bytes random string so that it's hard to
                guess). When the user does the transaction, the transaction ticket
                changes from state 'pending' to state 'accepted' or something.

                Then when the user clicks 'submit' again you know that you must not
                process the credit card again since the state has become 'accepted'.
                This way you don't need to break standard browser functionality...

                Does this make sense?

                Cheers,
                Jean-Michel.

              • William McKee
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
                  Chris,

                  Randall even has a column about this issue[1] from a couple years ago.

                  HTH,
                  William

                  [1] http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col64.html

                  --
                  Knowmad Services Inc.
                  http://www.knowmad.com

                • Casey Songer
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30, 2004
                    Hello all,

                    I'm running mod_perl 1.99_13 with apache 2.0.49. I'm also running
                    HTML::Mason. Not sure if this is a Mason error or just a mod_perl
                    thing, but I keep getting these errors in my error log:

                    [Fri Jul 30 16:37:12 2004] [error] [client x.x.x.x] 103:Software caused
                    connection abort at
                    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/MasonX/Apache2Handler.pm line
                    93.\n\nStack:\n
                    [/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/MasonX/Apache2Handler.pm:93]\n
                    [/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/HTML/Mason/Request.pm:358]\n, referer:
                    https://www.dynamicfeedback.com/leader/groupinformation/index.html?&i_index=0

                    The errors happen intermittently, but the users experience slow or
                    hanging pages when it happens. I don't know if these errors are a
                    result of something timing out or if they explain what they actual
                    problem is.

                    My first question is, can somebody tell me what this error means? And
                    second, how can I find out what is causing the error? This server is in
                    production, and I never have experience the error on my test machine
                    which is set up very similarly.

                    Hope somebody out there can shed some light on the subject.

                    thanks,

                    Casey Songer

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 1, 2004
                      [Please always send a new email when starting a new thread. Do not reply
                      to another thread, changing the subject, since you are still replying to
                      the same thread. Thanks!]

                      Casey Songer wrote:
                      > Hello all,
                      >
                      > I'm running mod_perl 1.99_13 with apache 2.0.49. I'm also running
                      > HTML::Mason. Not sure if this is a Mason error or just a mod_perl
                      > thing, but I keep getting these errors in my error log:
                      >
                      > [Fri Jul 30 16:37:12 2004] [error] [client x.x.x.x] 103:Software caused
                      > connection abort at
                      > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/MasonX/Apache2Handler.pm line
                      > 93.\n\nStack:\n
                      > [/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/MasonX/Apache2Handler.pm:93]\n
                      > [/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/HTML/Mason/Request.pm:358]\n, referer:
                      > https://www.dynamicfeedback.com/leader/groupinformation/index.html?&i_index=0
                      >

                      > The errors happen intermittently, but the users experience slow or
                      > hanging pages when it happens. I don't know if these errors are a
                      > result of something timing out or if they explain what they actual
                      > problem is.
                      >
                      > My first question is, can somebody tell me what this error means? And
                      > second, how can I find out what is causing the error? This server is in
                      > production, and I never have experience the error on my test machine
                      > which is set up very similarly.
                      >
                      > Hope somebody out there can shed some light on the subject.

                      Take a look at this thread:
                      The error happens when the client aborts the connection (e.g. hits
                      reload button, before the previous request was finished)