Re: Method Handler not working

  • MARTIN MOSS
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 26, 2004
      --- Perrin Harkins <perrin@...> wrote: > On Fri,
      2004-07-23 at 18:12, MARTIN MOSS wrote:
      > > My question is, If you don't have a PerlModule
      > > statement or a use My::Module, or a require or a
      > > +My::Module statement so it looks like this
      > >
      > > #PerlModule My:Module
      > > <Location />
      > > set-handler PerlScript
      > > PerlHandler My::Module
      > > </Location>
      > >
      > > But the module My::Module is on the Include path
      > for
      > > apache (hmm or is that the apache user), What
      > exactly
      > > happens?
      >
      > mod_perl tries to load it at request time. There
      > are two reasons why
      > this is bad. The first is that it doesn't allow for
      > copy-on-write
      > shared memory. You want to load it before the fork,
      > and this doesn't do
      > that. The second is that it doesn't know about the
      > method prototyping
      > and thus your handler is not called as a method.
      >
      > So, load the module first. You can do it in any
      > number of ways
      > (startup.pl is common). I think this will fix your
      > problem.
      >
      > - Perrin

      I have a little note to add, It seems that under
      freeBSD the above bad method does seem to work ok (or
      at least gives that illusion), But on Redhat, it
      doesn't. Anybody have any ideas why this is?

      Marty

      ___________________________________________________________ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun! http://www.allnewmessenger.com