Windows Installation

  • David Arnold
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
      All,

      I've got Apache and ModPerl running on a linux server at school, but I'd
      like to give both them a try on a windows machine (XP) at home.

      I've read a bit of the documentation on the modperl and apache site and
      have discovered all-in-one packages, etc, but I'd still like to ask advice.

      I have a couple of books coming in the mail I'd like to go thru, Practical
      Mod Perl and Stein's Writing Apache Modules in Perl and C, so I think I'd
      like to spend some time with the modperl1 before returning to my studies in
      modperl2.

      Also, I've got perl version 5.8 from active state loaded on my windows XP
      machine. I've also downloaded and installed Komodo 2.5 from active state,
      which I think installs a second version of perl. So, if the all-in-one
      package is going to install yet a third version of perl, I might not want
      to go that way.

      Perhaps using active state's ppm utility can install the apache server and
      modperl1 for me? Is that possible?

      Can folks on this list give me advice on the most efficient route to take?

    • Goehring, Chuck Mr., RCI - San Diego
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
        David,

        You can get a binary for playing on Windows from:

        ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/

        See the .readme files fro details of the file contents

        I think these do not have ssl capabilities

        Chuck

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2004
          On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Goehring, Chuck Mr., RCI - San Diego wrote:

          > David,
          > You can get a binary for playing on Windows from:
          > ftp://theoryx5.uwinnipeg.ca/pub/other/
          > See the .readme files fro details of the file contents
          > I think these do not have ssl capabilities

          These all-in-one binaries do have ssl capabilities,
          actually (with some patented algorithms disabled) - you
          can also get them from an Apache mirror at
          http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/perl/win32-bin/
          Definitely for mod_perl getting the Perl-5.8-win32-bin.exe
          package (with Apache/2.0.x - perl-5.8.x - mod_perl-1.99_xx)
          is better, as especially mod_perl has significant
          enhancements for Win32 in this version. I'll be making
          up a new binary (based on Apache/2.0.50 and perl-5.8.4)
          within a week.

          As for getting these all-in-one packages vs piecing
          it together yourself, if you already have a perl-5.8
          (ActivePerl 8xx) on your system, as well as Apache/2.0.x,
          then installing mod_perl via ppm would be simpler. The
          Win32 section of the mod_perl 2.0 documentation at
          http://perl.apache.org/ contains instructions on how
          to do this.

          --
          best regards,