Re: Strange

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
      On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 17:18, David Arnold wrote:
      > I did a little searching and saw very little on Apache-Test.

      Really? It's all over the mod_perl site. This would be a good place to
      start:
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html

      > Is it a current CVS project?

      It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
      four days ago.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
        Perrin Harkins wrote:
        > On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 17:18, David Arnold wrote:
        >
        >>I did a little searching and saw very little on Apache-Test.
        >

        > Really? It's all over the mod_perl site. This would be a good place to
        > start:
        > http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html
        >

        >>Is it a current CVS project?
        >

        > It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
        > four days ago.

        Thanks Perrin.

        From Apache-Test/README:

        #########
        # About #
        #########

        Apache::Test is a test toolkit for testing an Apache server with any
        configuration. It works with Apache 1.3 and Apache 2.0 and any of its
        modules, including mod_perl 1.0 and 2.0. It was originally developed
        for testing mod_perl 2.0.

        #################
        # Documentation #
        #################

        For an extensive documentation see the tutorial:

        http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html

        and the documentation of the specific Apache::Test modules, which can
        be read using 'perldoc', for example:

        % perldoc Apache::TestUtil

        and the 'Testing mod_perl 2.0' article:
        http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/05/22/testing.html

        ###################
        # Got a question? #
        ###################

        Post it to the test-dev <at> httpd.apache.org list. The list is
        moderated, so unless you are subscribed to it it may take some time
        for your post to make it to the list.

        For more information see: http://httpd.apache.org/test/.

        List's archive http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-test-dev

        ##############
        # Cheat List #
        ##############

        see Makefile.PL for howto enable 'make test'

        see t/TEST as an example test harness

        see t/*.t for example tests

        if the file t/conf/httpd.conf.in exists, it will be used instead of
        the default template (in Apache/TestConfig.pm);

        if the file t/conf/extra.conf.in exists, it will be used to generate
        t/conf/extra.conf with @variable@ substitutions

        if the file t/conf/extra.conf exists, it will be included by
        httpd.conf

        if the file t/conf/modperl_extra.pl exists, it will be included by
        httpd.conf as a mod_perl file (PerlRequire)

        test verbosely
        % t/TEST -verbose

        start the server
        % t/TEST -start

        run just this test (if server is running, will not be re-started)
        % t/TEST t/apr/table

        run just the apr tests
        % t/TEST t/apr

        run all tests without start/stop of server (e.g. server was started with -d)
        % t/TEST -run

        stop the server
        % t/TEST -stop

        ping the server to see whether it runs
        % t/TEST -ping

        ping the server and wait until the server starts, report waiting time
        % t/TEST -ping=block

        reconfigure the server, do not run tests
        % t/TEST -configure

        run as user nobody:
        % t/TEST -User nobody

        run on a different port:
        % t/TEST -Port 8799

        let the program pick the next available port (useful when running a
        few test sessions on parallel)
        % t/TEST -Port select

        run on a different server:
        % t/TEST -servername example.com

        configure an httpd other than the default (that apxs figures out)
        % t/TEST -httpd ~/ap/httpd-2.0/httpd

        configure a DSO mod_perl object other than the default (that stored in
        Apache::BuildConfig)
        % t/TEST -libmodperl ~/ap/httpd-2.0/modules/mod_perl-5.8.0.so
        or one that can be found relative to LIBEXECDIR
        % t/TEST -libmodperl mod_perl-5.6.1.so

        switch to another apxs
        % t/TEST -apxs ~/ap/httpd-2.0-prefork/bin/apxs

        turn on tracing
        % t/TEST -preamble "PerlTrace all"

        GET url
        % t/TEST -get /server-info

        HEAD url
        % t/TEST -head /server-info

        HEAD (no url defaults to /)
        % t/TEST -head

        GET url with authentication credentials
        % t/TEST -get /server-info -username dougm -password foo

        POST url (read content from string)
        % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content 'name=dougm&company=covalent'

        POST url (read content from stdin)
        % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content - < foo.txt

        POST url (generate a body of data 1024 bytes in length)
        % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content x1024

        POST url (only print headers, e.g. useful to just check Content-length)
        % t/TEST -post -head /TestApache::post -content x100000

        GET url (only print headers, e.g. useful to just check Content-length)
        % t/TEST -get -head /foo

        start server under gdb
        % t/TEST -debug

        start server under strace (outputs to t/logs/strace.log)
        % t/TEST -d strace

        run .t test under the perl debugger
        % t/TEST -d perl t/modules/access.t

        run .t test under the perl debugger (nonstop mode, output to t/logs/perldb.out)
        % t/TEST -d perl=nostop t/modules/access.t

        control how much noise Apache::Test should produce. to print all the
        debug messages:
        % t/TEST -trace=debug
        to print only warnings and higher trace levels:
        % t/TEST -trace=warning
        the available modes are:
        emerg alert crit error warning notice info debug

        turn on -v and LWP trace (1 is the default) mode in Apache::TestRequest
        % t/TEST -d lwp t/modules/access.t

        turn on -v and LWP trace mode (level 2) in Apache::TestRequest
        % t/TEST -d lwp=2 t/modules/access.t

        run all tests through mod_ssl
        % t/TEST -ssl

        run all tests with HTTP/1.1 (keep alive) requests
        % t/TEST -http11 -ssl

        run all tests with HTTP/1.1 (keep alive) requests through mod_ssl
        % t/TEST -http11

        run all tests through mod_proxy
        % t/TEST -proxy

        ##################
        # Stress testing #
        ##################

        run all tests 10 times in a random order (the seed is autogenerated
        and reported)
        % t/TEST -times=10 -order=random

        run all tests 10 times in a random order using the seed obtained from
        the previous random run (e.g. 2352211):
        % t/TEST -times=10 -order=2352211

        rotate all tests 10 times (a, b, c, a, b, c)
        % t/TEST -times=10 -order=rotate

        repeat all tests 10 times (a, a, b, b, c, c)
        % t/TEST -times=10 -order=repeat

        When certain tests fail when running with -times option, you want to
        find out the minimal sequence of tests that lead to the
        failure. Apache::TestSmoke helps to ease this task, simply run:
        % t/SMOKE

        which tries various sequences of tests and at the end reports the
        shortest sequences found that lead to the same failure.

        for more options do:
        % t/SMOKE -help

      • William McKee
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 5, 2004
          On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 05:59:11PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
          > It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
          > four days ago.

          Hi David,

          I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
          into the perl.apache.org documentation. Geoffrey has also put together a
          skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present. Try
          searching the archives of the test-dev mailing list[2] or perhaps
          someone on the list can post the location of those resources.

          Good luck,
          William

          [1] http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/05/22/testing.html
          [2] http://httpd.apache.org/test/

          --
          Knowmad Services Inc.
          http://www.knowmad.com

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
            > I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
            > into the perl.apache.org documentation.

            thanks :)

            note that the article has links to other sources of documentation at the end
            as well.

            > Geoffrey has also put together a
            > skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.

            http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz

            while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
            all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

            HTH

          • William McKee
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
              On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 01:09:01PM -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:
              > > Geoffrey has also put together a
              > > skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.
              >
              > http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz
              >
              > while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
              > all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

              For those of us stilling using mp1, he also has a skeleton for that
              system at:

              http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp1.tar.gz

              William

              --
              Knowmad Services Inc.
              http://www.knowmad.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                Geoffrey Young wrote:
                >>I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
                >>into the perl.apache.org documentation.
                >

                > thanks :)
                >
                > note that the article has links to other sources of documentation at the end
                > as well.
                >

                >>Geoffrey has also put together a
                >>skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.
                >

                > http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz
                >
                > while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
                > all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

                May be we should use a more generic name for those tarballs? So that you don't
                have to explain that it's useful for other things as well?

                e.g., test-suite-skeleton-mp(1).tar.gz?

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                  > May be we should use a more generic name for those tarballs? So that you
                  > don't have to explain that it's useful for other things as well?
                  >
                  > e.g., test-suite-skeleton-mp(1).tar.gz?

                  I probably should create a separate package for that, including pointers to
                  A-T documentation and placeholders for modules and other foo that aren't
                  named "bug".

                  I'll report back when I have some skeletons available.