Re: Strange

  • David Arnold
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
      Stas,

      >Again, do not test your modperl code w/o running modperl, which you
      accomplish
      >with help of Apache-Test.

      I did a little searching and saw very little on Apache-Test. Is it a
      current CVS project? If so, I've never participated or downloaded such a
      thing.

      However, you seem to think it would help me in my work, so maybe I should
      give it a try.

      How do I start?

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
        On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 17:18, David Arnold wrote:
        > I did a little searching and saw very little on Apache-Test.

        Really? It's all over the mod_perl site. This would be a good place to
        start:
        http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html

        > Is it a current CVS project?

        It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
        four days ago.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
          Perrin Harkins wrote:
          > On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 17:18, David Arnold wrote:
          >
          >>I did a little searching and saw very little on Apache-Test.
          >

          > Really? It's all over the mod_perl site. This would be a good place to
          > start:
          > http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html
          >

          >>Is it a current CVS project?
          >

          > It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
          > four days ago.

          Thanks Perrin.

          From Apache-Test/README:

          #########
          # About #
          #########

          Apache::Test is a test toolkit for testing an Apache server with any
          configuration. It works with Apache 1.3 and Apache 2.0 and any of its
          modules, including mod_perl 1.0 and 2.0. It was originally developed
          for testing mod_perl 2.0.

          #################
          # Documentation #
          #################

          For an extensive documentation see the tutorial:

          http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html

          and the documentation of the specific Apache::Test modules, which can
          be read using 'perldoc', for example:

          % perldoc Apache::TestUtil

          and the 'Testing mod_perl 2.0' article:
          http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/05/22/testing.html

          ###################
          # Got a question? #
          ###################

          Post it to the test-dev <at> httpd.apache.org list. The list is
          moderated, so unless you are subscribed to it it may take some time
          for your post to make it to the list.

          For more information see: http://httpd.apache.org/test/.

          List's archive http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-test-dev

          ##############
          # Cheat List #
          ##############

          see Makefile.PL for howto enable 'make test'

          see t/TEST as an example test harness

          see t/*.t for example tests

          if the file t/conf/httpd.conf.in exists, it will be used instead of
          the default template (in Apache/TestConfig.pm);

          if the file t/conf/extra.conf.in exists, it will be used to generate
          t/conf/extra.conf with @variable@ substitutions

          if the file t/conf/extra.conf exists, it will be included by
          httpd.conf

          if the file t/conf/modperl_extra.pl exists, it will be included by
          httpd.conf as a mod_perl file (PerlRequire)

          test verbosely
          % t/TEST -verbose

          start the server
          % t/TEST -start

          run just this test (if server is running, will not be re-started)
          % t/TEST t/apr/table

          run just the apr tests
          % t/TEST t/apr

          run all tests without start/stop of server (e.g. server was started with -d)
          % t/TEST -run

          stop the server
          % t/TEST -stop

          ping the server to see whether it runs
          % t/TEST -ping

          ping the server and wait until the server starts, report waiting time
          % t/TEST -ping=block

          reconfigure the server, do not run tests
          % t/TEST -configure

          run as user nobody:
          % t/TEST -User nobody

          run on a different port:
          % t/TEST -Port 8799

          let the program pick the next available port (useful when running a
          few test sessions on parallel)
          % t/TEST -Port select

          run on a different server:
          % t/TEST -servername example.com

          configure an httpd other than the default (that apxs figures out)
          % t/TEST -httpd ~/ap/httpd-2.0/httpd

          configure a DSO mod_perl object other than the default (that stored in
          Apache::BuildConfig)
          % t/TEST -libmodperl ~/ap/httpd-2.0/modules/mod_perl-5.8.0.so
          or one that can be found relative to LIBEXECDIR
          % t/TEST -libmodperl mod_perl-5.6.1.so

          switch to another apxs
          % t/TEST -apxs ~/ap/httpd-2.0-prefork/bin/apxs

          turn on tracing
          % t/TEST -preamble "PerlTrace all"

          GET url
          % t/TEST -get /server-info

          HEAD url
          % t/TEST -head /server-info

          HEAD (no url defaults to /)
          % t/TEST -head

          GET url with authentication credentials
          % t/TEST -get /server-info -username dougm -password foo

          POST url (read content from string)
          % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content 'name=dougm&company=covalent'

          POST url (read content from stdin)
          % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content - < foo.txt

          POST url (generate a body of data 1024 bytes in length)
          % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content x1024

          POST url (only print headers, e.g. useful to just check Content-length)
          % t/TEST -post -head /TestApache::post -content x100000

          GET url (only print headers, e.g. useful to just check Content-length)
          % t/TEST -get -head /foo

          start server under gdb
          % t/TEST -debug

          start server under strace (outputs to t/logs/strace.log)
          % t/TEST -d strace

          run .t test under the perl debugger
          % t/TEST -d perl t/modules/access.t

          run .t test under the perl debugger (nonstop mode, output to t/logs/perldb.out)
          % t/TEST -d perl=nostop t/modules/access.t

          control how much noise Apache::Test should produce. to print all the
          debug messages:
          % t/TEST -trace=debug
          to print only warnings and higher trace levels:
          % t/TEST -trace=warning
          the available modes are:
          emerg alert crit error warning notice info debug

          turn on -v and LWP trace (1 is the default) mode in Apache::TestRequest
          % t/TEST -d lwp t/modules/access.t

          turn on -v and LWP trace mode (level 2) in Apache::TestRequest
          % t/TEST -d lwp=2 t/modules/access.t

          run all tests through mod_ssl
          % t/TEST -ssl

          run all tests with HTTP/1.1 (keep alive) requests
          % t/TEST -http11 -ssl

          run all tests with HTTP/1.1 (keep alive) requests through mod_ssl
          % t/TEST -http11

          run all tests through mod_proxy
          % t/TEST -proxy

          ##################
          # Stress testing #
          ##################

          run all tests 10 times in a random order (the seed is autogenerated
          and reported)
          % t/TEST -times=10 -order=random

          run all tests 10 times in a random order using the seed obtained from
          the previous random run (e.g. 2352211):
          % t/TEST -times=10 -order=2352211

          rotate all tests 10 times (a, b, c, a, b, c)
          % t/TEST -times=10 -order=rotate

          repeat all tests 10 times (a, a, b, b, c, c)
          % t/TEST -times=10 -order=repeat

          When certain tests fail when running with -times option, you want to
          find out the minimal sequence of tests that lead to the
          failure. Apache::TestSmoke helps to ease this task, simply run:
          % t/SMOKE

          which tries various sequences of tests and at the end reports the
          shortest sequences found that lead to the same failure.

          for more options do:
          % t/SMOKE -help

        • William McKee
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 5, 2004
            On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 05:59:11PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
            > It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
            > four days ago.

            Hi David,

            I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
            into the perl.apache.org documentation. Geoffrey has also put together a
            skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present. Try
            searching the archives of the test-dev mailing list[2] or perhaps
            someone on the list can post the location of those resources.

            Good luck,
            William

            [1] http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/05/22/testing.html
            [2] http://httpd.apache.org/test/

            --
            Knowmad Services Inc.
            http://www.knowmad.com

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
              > I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
              > into the perl.apache.org documentation.

              thanks :)

              note that the article has links to other sources of documentation at the end
              as well.

              > Geoffrey has also put together a
              > skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.

              http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz

              while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
              all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

              HTH

            • William McKee
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 01:09:01PM -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                > > Geoffrey has also put together a
                > > skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.
                >
                > http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz
                >
                > while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
                > all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

                For those of us stilling using mp1, he also has a skeleton for that
                system at:

                http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp1.tar.gz

                William

                --
                Knowmad Services Inc.
                http://www.knowmad.com

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                  Geoffrey Young wrote:
                  >>I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
                  >>into the perl.apache.org documentation.
                  >

                  > thanks :)
                  >
                  > note that the article has links to other sources of documentation at the end
                  > as well.
                  >

                  >>Geoffrey has also put together a
                  >>skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.
                  >

                  > http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz
                  >
                  > while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
                  > all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

                  May be we should use a more generic name for those tarballs? So that you don't
                  have to explain that it's useful for other things as well?

                  e.g., test-suite-skeleton-mp(1).tar.gz?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                    > May be we should use a more generic name for those tarballs? So that you
                    > don't have to explain that it's useful for other things as well?
                    >
                    > e.g., test-suite-skeleton-mp(1).tar.gz?

                    I probably should create a separate package for that, including pointers to
                    A-T documentation and placeholders for modules and other foo that aren't
                    named "bug".

                    I'll report back when I have some skeletons available.