Re: Problems with section

  • benoit
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2 10:54 AM
      Stas Bekman wrote:
      > From Changes:
      > =item 1.21_03 - March 15, 2000
      >
      > new variable $Apache::Server::StrictPerlSections, if true, will croak
      > <Perl> section generates invalid Apache configuration syntax
      >
      > Does it do the trick? I'm not sure why it's not documented.

      Where should I put this?

      I've tried adding it in my single <perl> section, or even in a
      stand-alone block at the beginning of my httpd.conf, but if I
      intentionnally break my perl code, I come back with the problem I had,
      ie. a silent failing of httpd -X and a "could not bind to port 80" in
      the error_log.

      As for the documentation of this feature, the "Practical mod_perl" book
      (which I love, btw!) says "if you set this variable to a true value
      [snip] then mod_perl will not tolerate invalid Apache configuration
      syntax and will croak if it encounters invalid syntax." So, it should
      croak only if one use un-localized variable name (which it seems to do
      by default). But it's not a "padding" for possible _Perl_ syntax errors.
      Maybe now is the time when I should take my first peak under the hood of
      mod_perl, but I guess that those Perl sections are eval-ed, no? If it's
      the case, the @! could be catch and the error reported.

      >> Anyway, I would like to mention that this would be really, really
      >> great if this kind of error would show up somewhere, at least when one
      >> is running in "Debug-mode" like I did... Is it something that is
      >> present in mod_perl v2 (from my readings, I would say No)? If not,
      >> could it be?
      >

      > In mp2 <Perl> sections errors are fatal by default (will be shortly)

      I'll try my broken configuration under mp2 when I'll find some time, to
      see how it behaves. I have'nt had time to play with it yet ; I'm just
      back in a mod_perl job after nearly 2 years of *gasp* PHP. :P