Strange

  • David Arnold
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
      All,

      I get so confused keeping track of everything. I've got some modules that I
      swear checked for syntax a few days ago. Here's one that starts:

      package Apache::AuthAnon;
      # file: Apache/AuthAnon.pm

      use strict;
      use Apache::Constants qw(:common);

      my $email_pat='[.\w-]+\@\w+\.[.\w]*[^.]';
      my $anon_id="anonymous";

      sub handler {
      my $r=shift;

      my($res,$sent_pwd)=$r->get_basic_auth_pw;
      return $res if $res!=OK;

      my $user=lc $r->connection->user;
      my $reason="";

      my $check_id=$r->dir_config("Anonymous") || $anon_id;

      $reason="user did not enter a valid anonymous username: "

      But this morning, suddenly I can't check the syntax:

      [darnold@ps-114a-2k Apache]$perl -wc AuthAny.pm
      Can't locate Apache/Constants.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
      /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.4
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at AuthAny.pm
      line 5.
      BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at AuthAny.pm line 5.

      I've got the following in my httpd.conf:

      PerlModule Apache2
      PerlModule Apache::compat

      <Location /protected>
      PerlOptions +GlobalRequest
      AuthName Anonymous
      AuthType Basic
      PerlAuthenHandler Apache::AuthAnon
      require valid-user
      PerlSetVar Anonymous anonymous|anybody
      </Location>

      So the handler runs fine and does what it should. I tried changing to:

      use Apache::Const qw(:common);

      But that didn't work either.

      [darnold@ps-114a-2k Apache]$perl -wc AuthAnon.pm
      Can't locate Apache/Const.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
      /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.4
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at AuthAnon.pm
      line 5.
      BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at AuthAnon.pm line 5.

      Here's where the file is on my system:

      [root@ps-114a-2k apache2]$locate Apache/Const.pm
      /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi/Apache2/Apache/Const.pm

      Should I add /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi/Apache2
      to @INC?

      What's the best way to do I do that on a permanent basis?

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
        David Arnold wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > I get so confused keeping track of everything. I've got some modules that I
        > swear checked for syntax a few days ago. Here's one that starts:
        >
        > package Apache::AuthAnon;
        > # file: Apache/AuthAnon.pm
        >
        > use strict;
        > use Apache::Constants qw(:common);
        >
        > my $email_pat='[.\w-]+\@\w+\.[.\w]*[^.]';
        > my $anon_id="anonymous";
        >
        > sub handler {
        > my $r=shift;
        >
        > my($res,$sent_pwd)=$r->get_basic_auth_pw;
        > return $res if $res!=OK;
        >
        > my $user=lc $r->connection->user;
        > my $reason="";
        >
        > my $check_id=$r->dir_config("Anonymous") || $anon_id;
        >
        > $reason="user did not enter a valid anonymous username: "
        >
        > But this morning, suddenly I can't check the syntax:
        >
        > [darnold@ps-114a-2k Apache]$perl -wc AuthAny.pm
        > Can't locate Apache/Constants.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
        > /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.4
        > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi
        > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1
        > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0 /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at AuthAny.pm
        > line 5.
        > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at AuthAny.pm line 5.

        Because you didn't load the right modules. Try again with:

        perl -wc -MApache2 -MApache::compat AuthAny.pm

        in general it's not possible to test code relying on mod_perl run time from
        the command line.

        > I've got the following in my httpd.conf:
        >
        > LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
        > PerlModule Apache2
        > PerlModule Apache::compat
        [...]
        > What's the best way to do I do that on a permanent basis?

        Write a test suite using Apache-Test, as many modules are moving to.

      • David Arnold
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
          Stas,

          >> package Apache::AuthAnon;
          >> # file: Apache/AuthAnon.pm
          >>
          >> use strict;
          >> use Apache::Constants qw(:common);
          >>
          >> my $email_pat='[.\w-]+\@\w+\.[.\w]*[^.]';
          >> my $anon_id="anonymous";
          >>
          >> sub handler {
          >> my $r=shift;
          >>
          >> my($res,$sent_pwd)=$r->get_basic_auth_pw;
          >> return $res if $res!=OK;
          >>
          >> my $user=lc $r->connection->user;
          >> my $reason="";
          >>
          >> my $check_id=$r->dir_config("Anonymous") || $anon_id;
          >>
          >> $reason="user did not enter a valid anonymous username: "
          >>
          >Because you didn't load the right modules. Try again with:
          >
          >perl -wc -MApache2 -MApache::compat AuthAny.pm
          >
          >in general it's not possible to test code relying on mod_perl run time from
          >the command line.

          I got this:

          [darnold@ps-114a-2k Apache]$perl -wc -MApache2 -MApache::compat AuthAny.pm
          Bareword "Apache::server_root" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at
          /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi/Apache2/Apache/compat
          .pm line 255.
          Compilation failed in require.
          BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

          Is this right?

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
            David Arnold wrote:
            > Stas,
            >

            >>>package Apache::AuthAnon;
            >>># file: Apache/AuthAnon.pm
            >>>
            >>>use strict;
            >>>use Apache::Constants qw(:common);
            >>>
            >>>my $email_pat='[.\w-]+\@\w+\.[.\w]*[^.]';
            >>>my $anon_id="anonymous";
            >>>
            >>>sub handler {
            >>> my $r=shift;
            >>>
            >>> my($res,$sent_pwd)=$r->get_basic_auth_pw;
            >>> return $res if $res!=OK;
            >>>
            >>> my $user=lc $r->connection->user;
            >>> my $reason="";
            >>>
            >>> my $check_id=$r->dir_config("Anonymous") || $anon_id;
            >>>
            >>> $reason="user did not enter a valid anonymous username: "
            >>>

            >>Because you didn't load the right modules. Try again with:
            >>
            >>perl -wc -MApache2 -MApache::compat AuthAny.pm
            >>
            >>in general it's not possible to test code relying on mod_perl run time from
            >>the command line.
            >

            > I got this:
            >
            > [darnold@ps-114a-2k Apache]$perl -wc -MApache2 -MApache::compat AuthAny.pm
            > Bareword "Apache::server_root" not allowed while "strict subs" in use at
            > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i686-linux-thread-multi/Apache2/Apache/compat
            > .pm line 255.
            > Compilation failed in require.
            > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
            >
            > Is this right?

            Yes, David, this is right for the majority of the API.

            Again, do not test your modperl code w/o running modperl, which you accomplish
            with help of Apache-Test.

          • David Arnold
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
              Stas,

              >Again, do not test your modperl code w/o running modperl, which you
              accomplish
              >with help of Apache-Test.

              I did a little searching and saw very little on Apache-Test. Is it a
              current CVS project? If so, I've never participated or downloaded such a
              thing.

              However, you seem to think it would help me in my work, so maybe I should
              give it a try.

              How do I start?

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 17:18, David Arnold wrote:
                > I did a little searching and saw very little on Apache-Test.

                Really? It's all over the mod_perl site. This would be a good place to
                start:
                http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html

                > Is it a current CVS project?

                It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
                four days ago.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 2, 2004
                  Perrin Harkins wrote:
                  > On Fri, 2004-07-02 at 17:18, David Arnold wrote:
                  >
                  >>I did a little searching and saw very little on Apache-Test.
                  >

                  > Really? It's all over the mod_perl site. This would be a good place to
                  > start:
                  > http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html
                  >

                  >>Is it a current CVS project?
                  >

                  > It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
                  > four days ago.

                  Thanks Perrin.

                  From Apache-Test/README:

                  #########
                  # About #
                  #########

                  Apache::Test is a test toolkit for testing an Apache server with any
                  configuration. It works with Apache 1.3 and Apache 2.0 and any of its
                  modules, including mod_perl 1.0 and 2.0. It was originally developed
                  for testing mod_perl 2.0.

                  #################
                  # Documentation #
                  #################

                  For an extensive documentation see the tutorial:

                  http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/testing/testing.html

                  and the documentation of the specific Apache::Test modules, which can
                  be read using 'perldoc', for example:

                  % perldoc Apache::TestUtil

                  and the 'Testing mod_perl 2.0' article:
                  http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/05/22/testing.html

                  ###################
                  # Got a question? #
                  ###################

                  Post it to the test-dev <at> httpd.apache.org list. The list is
                  moderated, so unless you are subscribed to it it may take some time
                  for your post to make it to the list.

                  For more information see: http://httpd.apache.org/test/.

                  List's archive http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-test-dev

                  ##############
                  # Cheat List #
                  ##############

                  see Makefile.PL for howto enable 'make test'

                  see t/TEST as an example test harness

                  see t/*.t for example tests

                  if the file t/conf/httpd.conf.in exists, it will be used instead of
                  the default template (in Apache/TestConfig.pm);

                  if the file t/conf/extra.conf.in exists, it will be used to generate
                  t/conf/extra.conf with @variable@ substitutions

                  if the file t/conf/extra.conf exists, it will be included by
                  httpd.conf

                  if the file t/conf/modperl_extra.pl exists, it will be included by
                  httpd.conf as a mod_perl file (PerlRequire)

                  test verbosely
                  % t/TEST -verbose

                  start the server
                  % t/TEST -start

                  run just this test (if server is running, will not be re-started)
                  % t/TEST t/apr/table

                  run just the apr tests
                  % t/TEST t/apr

                  run all tests without start/stop of server (e.g. server was started with -d)
                  % t/TEST -run

                  stop the server
                  % t/TEST -stop

                  ping the server to see whether it runs
                  % t/TEST -ping

                  ping the server and wait until the server starts, report waiting time
                  % t/TEST -ping=block

                  reconfigure the server, do not run tests
                  % t/TEST -configure

                  run as user nobody:
                  % t/TEST -User nobody

                  run on a different port:
                  % t/TEST -Port 8799

                  let the program pick the next available port (useful when running a
                  few test sessions on parallel)
                  % t/TEST -Port select

                  run on a different server:
                  % t/TEST -servername example.com

                  configure an httpd other than the default (that apxs figures out)
                  % t/TEST -httpd ~/ap/httpd-2.0/httpd

                  configure a DSO mod_perl object other than the default (that stored in
                  Apache::BuildConfig)
                  % t/TEST -libmodperl ~/ap/httpd-2.0/modules/mod_perl-5.8.0.so
                  or one that can be found relative to LIBEXECDIR
                  % t/TEST -libmodperl mod_perl-5.6.1.so

                  switch to another apxs
                  % t/TEST -apxs ~/ap/httpd-2.0-prefork/bin/apxs

                  turn on tracing
                  % t/TEST -preamble "PerlTrace all"

                  GET url
                  % t/TEST -get /server-info

                  HEAD url
                  % t/TEST -head /server-info

                  HEAD (no url defaults to /)
                  % t/TEST -head

                  GET url with authentication credentials
                  % t/TEST -get /server-info -username dougm -password foo

                  POST url (read content from string)
                  % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content 'name=dougm&company=covalent'

                  POST url (read content from stdin)
                  % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content - < foo.txt

                  POST url (generate a body of data 1024 bytes in length)
                  % t/TEST -post /TestApache::post -content x1024

                  POST url (only print headers, e.g. useful to just check Content-length)
                  % t/TEST -post -head /TestApache::post -content x100000

                  GET url (only print headers, e.g. useful to just check Content-length)
                  % t/TEST -get -head /foo

                  start server under gdb
                  % t/TEST -debug

                  start server under strace (outputs to t/logs/strace.log)
                  % t/TEST -d strace

                  run .t test under the perl debugger
                  % t/TEST -d perl t/modules/access.t

                  run .t test under the perl debugger (nonstop mode, output to t/logs/perldb.out)
                  % t/TEST -d perl=nostop t/modules/access.t

                  control how much noise Apache::Test should produce. to print all the
                  debug messages:
                  % t/TEST -trace=debug
                  to print only warnings and higher trace levels:
                  % t/TEST -trace=warning
                  the available modes are:
                  emerg alert crit error warning notice info debug

                  turn on -v and LWP trace (1 is the default) mode in Apache::TestRequest
                  % t/TEST -d lwp t/modules/access.t

                  turn on -v and LWP trace mode (level 2) in Apache::TestRequest
                  % t/TEST -d lwp=2 t/modules/access.t

                  run all tests through mod_ssl
                  % t/TEST -ssl

                  run all tests with HTTP/1.1 (keep alive) requests
                  % t/TEST -http11 -ssl

                  run all tests with HTTP/1.1 (keep alive) requests through mod_ssl
                  % t/TEST -http11

                  run all tests through mod_proxy
                  % t/TEST -proxy

                  ##################
                  # Stress testing #
                  ##################

                  run all tests 10 times in a random order (the seed is autogenerated
                  and reported)
                  % t/TEST -times=10 -order=random

                  run all tests 10 times in a random order using the seed obtained from
                  the previous random run (e.g. 2352211):
                  % t/TEST -times=10 -order=2352211

                  rotate all tests 10 times (a, b, c, a, b, c)
                  % t/TEST -times=10 -order=rotate

                  repeat all tests 10 times (a, a, b, b, c, c)
                  % t/TEST -times=10 -order=repeat

                  When certain tests fail when running with -times option, you want to
                  find out the minimal sequence of tests that lead to the
                  failure. Apache::TestSmoke helps to ease this task, simply run:
                  % t/SMOKE

                  which tries various sequences of tests and at the end reports the
                  shortest sequences found that lead to the same failure.

                  for more options do:
                  % t/SMOKE -help

                • William McKee
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 5, 2004
                    On Fri, Jul 02, 2004 at 05:59:11PM -0400, Perrin Harkins wrote:
                    > It's on CPAN. Geoffrey Young announced the latest release on this list
                    > four days ago.

                    Hi David,

                    I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
                    into the perl.apache.org documentation. Geoffrey has also put together a
                    skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present. Try
                    searching the archives of the test-dev mailing list[2] or perhaps
                    someone on the list can post the location of those resources.

                    Good luck,
                    William

                    [1] http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2003/05/22/testing.html
                    [2] http://httpd.apache.org/test/

                    --
                    Knowmad Services Inc.
                    http://www.knowmad.com

                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                      > I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
                      > into the perl.apache.org documentation.

                      thanks :)

                      note that the article has links to other sources of documentation at the end
                      as well.

                      > Geoffrey has also put together a
                      > skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.

                      http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz

                      while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
                      all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

                      HTH

                    • William McKee
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                        On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 01:09:01PM -0400, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                        > > Geoffrey has also put together a
                        > > skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.
                        >
                        > http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz
                        >
                        > while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
                        > all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

                        For those of us stilling using mp1, he also has a skeleton for that
                        system at:

                        http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp1.tar.gz

                        William

                        --
                        Knowmad Services Inc.
                        http://www.knowmad.com

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                          Geoffrey Young wrote:
                          >>I'd recommend reading Geoffrey's article on perl.com[1] before launching
                          >>into the perl.apache.org documentation.
                          >

                          > thanks :)
                          >
                          > note that the article has links to other sources of documentation at the end
                          > as well.
                          >

                          >>Geoffrey has also put together a
                          >>skeleton for testing which I cannot find a link to at present.
                          >

                          > http://perl.apache.org/~geoff/bug-reporting-skeleton-mp2.tar.gz
                          >
                          > while the name indicates it is for bugs, I use it as the starting point for
                          > all the Apache-Test-based modules I write now.

                          May be we should use a more generic name for those tarballs? So that you don't
                          have to explain that it's useful for other things as well?

                          e.g., test-suite-skeleton-mp(1).tar.gz?

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 6, 2004
                            > May be we should use a more generic name for those tarballs? So that you
                            > don't have to explain that it's useful for other things as well?
                            >
                            > e.g., test-suite-skeleton-mp(1).tar.gz?

                            I probably should create a separate package for that, including pointers to
                            A-T documentation and placeholders for modules and other foo that aren't
                            named "bug".

                            I'll report back when I have some skeletons available.