[OT] Re: perl 5.8 safe signals and broken pipes in apache - now mod_perl blacklisted

  • Lupe Christoph
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2004
      On Wednesday, 2004-06-30 at 13:42:16 -0700, Eric Frazier wrote:

      > Who ever is admining your mail server might want to look into using a
      > *responsible* list. Spews routinely causes horror for many innocents,
      > sometimes blocking whole datacenters over one account.

      For this partivular case, please read
      http://spews.org/ask.cgi?S3056

      > Almost any other list is an improvement, I have noticed many lists follow
      > along behind http://www.spamhaus.org/ for example, and they have reasonable
      > people you can talk to. It is MUCH more likely you will fix the problem by
      > getting your admin to change his blacklist choice than that you will be
      > able to get the mod_perl list off the spews listing. They will only rinse
      > and repeat, "Get rid of the spammer, or move your ISP"

      > Yes, folks, it is that bad these days. spam means unsolicited email, but
      > also it means lots of people don't get their legitimate email. I frankly
      > think the whole thing is a nightmare with no end in sight..

      Off-topic (I'm only using perl for this, not mod_perl ;-) )

      Since last weekend, I'm collecting RBL hits and misses for spam and ham.
      Spews is definitely a bad idea. It blocks hermes.apache.org even at
      level 1.

      I have written a Perl program that tries to find the "best" RBLs. It
      eliminates all RBLs that hit servers delivering ham. Then it lets me
      manually insert RBLs, then it selects by effectiveness. I manually set
      Chian/Korea blocking and blocking of dynamically assigned addresses.

      Without manually set RBLs, the hitlist is this:

      cbl.abuseat.org dynablock.njabl.org no-more-funn.moensted.dk
      bl.spamcop.net dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net list.dsbl.org spam.dnsbl.sorbs.net
      cn-kr.blackholes.us multihop.dsbl.org psbl.surriel.com sbl.spamhaus.org
      dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net ipwhois.rfc-ignorant.org
      mail-abuse.blacklist.jippg.org

      cbl.abuseat.org dynablock.njabl.org no-more-funn.moensted.dk
      bl.spamcop.net catch 90% of the spamming adresses. uceprotect and
      rfc-ignorant are too dangerous and will probably eliminated by the
      false-positive checker in a while.

      I have 18 IP addresses that sent Spam and were not blocked by any list,
      even the most aggressive ones. 27 addresses were only recognized by
      aggressive lists, 264 are recognized by the above list of RBLs.

      Here are the overly aggressive RBLs:

      blackholes.five-ten-sg.com
      block.blars.org
      l1.spews.dnsbl.sorbs.net
      l2.spews.dnsbl.sorbs.net
      spews.blackholes.us
      dnsbl.jammconsulting.com

      Whoever read this far and is still interested - mail me if you want the
      code.

      HTH,
      Lupe Christoph
      --
      | lupe@... | http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
      | "... putting a mail server on the Internet without filtering is like |

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 21, 2004
        Stas Bekman wrote:
        > Eric Frazier wrote:
        >
        > Jim, Eric, so can you please put this thread together into one doc piece
        > that can be added to the docs?

        so any chance someone can put together the solutions from Eric and Jim,
        and the other suggestions I gave in the reply to the Jim's original
        question? And then we will add them to the online docs. I'd really like
        to concentrate on finishing the mp2 API at this time, to get mp2 out
        sooner. So your help is appreciated.

        The relevant threads are:

        Thanks.

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 24, 2004
          Stas Bekman wrote:
          > Stas Bekman wrote:
          >
          >> Eric Frazier wrote:
          >>
          >> Jim, Eric, so can you please put this thread together into one doc
          >> piece that can be added to the docs?
          >

          > so any chance someone can put together the solutions from Eric and Jim,
          > and the other suggestions I gave in the reply to the Jim's original
          > question? And then we will add them to the online docs. I'd really like
          > to concentrate on finishing the mp2 API at this time, to get mp2 out
          > sooner. So your help is appreciated.
          >
          > The relevant threads are:

          Well, it's now documented here:
          http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/troubleshooting/troubleshooting.html#Problems_with_Catching_Signals_under_Perl_5_8_x_