Re: mp2 : Win32::GetShortPathName usage

  • Random Joe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
      --- Randy Kobes <randy@...> wrote:
      > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
      >
      > > --- Randy Kobes <randy@...>
      > wrote:

      > 2000
      > > > (VC 6.0).

      > mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm

      > > > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
      > > > removed.

      > perl
      > uses
      > ignore
      > avoid
      > > >
      > > > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which
      > is
      > > > probably
      > > > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
      > > > libwin32?
      > > > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?
      > >
      > > Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I
      > have
      > > to document, maintain etc
      >
      > Fair enough :) If you don't want to run the tests,
      > you could
      > get away without Win32::Process, but
      > Win32::GetShortPathName
      > is still required to build it. So you'd either have
      > install libwin32 anyway to build it, or comment out
      > the
      > relevant Win32::* calls.

      oops, i got confused. If Win32::GetShortPathName and
      brothers are in Perl Core why should I need to install
      libwin32 ?

      perl-src/win32/win32.c defines GetShortPathName -
      which seems to be calling the system's
      GetShortPathName() directly.

      > However, it's *really* recommended to run the test
      > suite,
      > which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems
      > using

      Yes, I do plan to use the test suite "as part of
      nightly test runs". My question was more about whether
      mod_perl required any Win32::* stuff during normal
      operations. Apparently it does not.

      regards
      srp

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
        Random Joe wrote:
        > Greetings,
        >
        > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000 (VC
        > 6.0).
        >
        > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm around
        > lines 110 - 111
        >
        > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
        > # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
        > require Win32;
        > $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
        > }
        >
        > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
        > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
        >
        > I also have another doubt.
        >
        > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
        > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
        > Win32::Process in
        > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore this
        > usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid using
        > Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?

        You are talking about the Apache-Test suite, which is *not* mod_perl.
        Apache-Test/ subdir is bundled there only for your convenience. It's a project
        on its own.

      • Randy Kobes
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
          On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

          > oops, i got confused. If Win32::GetShortPathName and
          > brothers are in Perl Core why should I need to install
          > libwin32 ?
          >
          > perl-src/win32/win32.c defines GetShortPathName -
          > which seems to be calling the system's
          > GetShortPathName() directly.

          Sorry about that - you're right; you'd only need libwin32
          for the tests.

          > > However, it's *really* recommended to run the test
          > > suite,
          > > which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems
          > > using
          >
          > Yes, I do plan to use the test suite "as part of
          > nightly test runs". My question was more about whether
          > mod_perl required any Win32::* stuff during normal
          > operations. Apparently it does not.

          I think that's right.

          --
          best regards,