Re: mp2 : Win32::GetShortPathName usage

  • Random Joe
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
      --- Randy Kobes <randy@...> wrote:
      > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
      >
      > > Greetings,
      > >
      > > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000
      > (VC
      > > 6.0).
      > >
      > > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm
      > around
      > > lines 110 - 111
      > >
      > > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
      > > # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
      > > require Win32;
      > > $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
      > > }
      > >
      > > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
      > > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
      >
      > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
      > removed.
      >
      > > I also have another doubt.
      > >
      > > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
      > > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
      > > Win32::Process in
      > > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore
      > this
      > > usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid using
      > > Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?
      >
      > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which is
      > probably
      > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
      > libwin32?
      > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?

      Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I have
      to document, maintain etc

      regards
      srp

      > --
      > best regards,
      > randy kobes
      >
      > --
      > Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
      > List etiquette:
      > http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html

    • Randy Kobes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
        On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

        > --- Randy Kobes <randy@...> wrote:
        > > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
        > >
        > > > Greetings,
        > > >
        > > > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000
        > > (VC 6.0).
        > > >
        > > > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm
        > > > around lines 110 - 111
        > > >
        > > > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
        > > > # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
        > > > require Win32;
        > > > $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
        > > > }
        > > >
        > > > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
        > > > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
        > >
        > > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
        > > removed.
        > >
        > > > I also have another doubt.
        > > >
        > > > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
        > > > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
        > > > Win32::Process in
        > > > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore
        > > > this usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid
        > > > using Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?
        > >
        > > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which is
        > > probably
        > > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
        > > libwin32?
        > > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?
        >
        > Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I have
        > to document, maintain etc

        Fair enough :) If you don't want to run the tests, you could
        get away without Win32::Process, but Win32::GetShortPathName
        is still required to build it. So you'd either have to
        install libwin32 anyway to build it, or comment out the
        relevant Win32::* calls.

        However, it's *really* recommended to run the test suite,
        which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems using
        mod_perl, and ask here about it, one of the first questions
        asked is how well the tests fared.

        --
        best regards,
        randy

      • Random Joe
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
          --- Randy Kobes <randy@...> wrote:
          > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
          >
          > > --- Randy Kobes <randy@...>
          > wrote:

          > 2000
          > > > (VC 6.0).

          > mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm

          > > > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
          > > > removed.

          > perl
          > uses
          > ignore
          > avoid
          > > >
          > > > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which
          > is
          > > > probably
          > > > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
          > > > libwin32?
          > > > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?
          > >
          > > Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I
          > have
          > > to document, maintain etc
          >
          > Fair enough :) If you don't want to run the tests,
          > you could
          > get away without Win32::Process, but
          > Win32::GetShortPathName
          > is still required to build it. So you'd either have
          > install libwin32 anyway to build it, or comment out
          > the
          > relevant Win32::* calls.

          oops, i got confused. If Win32::GetShortPathName and
          brothers are in Perl Core why should I need to install
          libwin32 ?

          perl-src/win32/win32.c defines GetShortPathName -
          which seems to be calling the system's
          GetShortPathName() directly.

          > However, it's *really* recommended to run the test
          > suite,
          > which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems
          > using

          Yes, I do plan to use the test suite "as part of
          nightly test runs". My question was more about whether
          mod_perl required any Win32::* stuff during normal
          operations. Apparently it does not.

          regards
          srp

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
            Random Joe wrote:
            > Greetings,
            >
            > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000 (VC
            > 6.0).
            >
            > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm around
            > lines 110 - 111
            >
            > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
            > # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
            > require Win32;
            > $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
            > }
            >
            > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
            > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
            >
            > I also have another doubt.
            >
            > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
            > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
            > Win32::Process in
            > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore this
            > usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid using
            > Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?

            You are talking about the Apache-Test suite, which is *not* mod_perl.
            Apache-Test/ subdir is bundled there only for your convenience. It's a project
            on its own.

          • Randy Kobes
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
              On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

              > oops, i got confused. If Win32::GetShortPathName and
              > brothers are in Perl Core why should I need to install
              > libwin32 ?
              >
              > perl-src/win32/win32.c defines GetShortPathName -
              > which seems to be calling the system's
              > GetShortPathName() directly.

              Sorry about that - you're right; you'd only need libwin32
              for the tests.

              > > However, it's *really* recommended to run the test
              > > suite,
              > > which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems
              > > using
              >
              > Yes, I do plan to use the test suite "as part of
              > nightly test runs". My question was more about whether
              > mod_perl required any Win32::* stuff during normal
              > operations. Apparently it does not.

              I think that's right.

              --
              best regards,