Re: mp2 : Win32::GetShortPathName usage

  • Randy Kobes
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
      On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000 (VC
      > 6.0).
      >
      > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm around
      > lines 110 - 111
      >
      > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
      > # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
      > require Win32;
      > $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
      > }
      >
      > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
      > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.

      You're right - that require of Win32 could be removed.

      > I also have another doubt.
      >
      > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
      > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
      > Win32::Process in
      > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore this
      > usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid using
      > Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?

      Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which is probably
      a good idea ... Was there a problem installing libwin32?
      Or some other reason you want to avoid it?

      --
      best regards,
      randy kobes

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
        --- Randy Kobes <randy@...> wrote:
        > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
        >
        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000
        > (VC
        > > 6.0).
        > >
        > > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm
        > around
        > > lines 110 - 111
        > >
        > > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
        > > # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
        > > require Win32;
        > > $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
        > > }
        > >
        > > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
        > > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
        >
        > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
        > removed.
        >
        > > I also have another doubt.
        > >
        > > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
        > > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
        > > Win32::Process in
        > > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore
        > this
        > > usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid using
        > > Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?
        >
        > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which is
        > probably
        > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
        > libwin32?
        > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?

        Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I have
        to document, maintain etc

        regards
        srp

        > --
        > best regards,
        > randy kobes
        >
        > --
        > Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
        > List etiquette:
        > http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html

      • Randy Kobes
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
          On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

          > --- Randy Kobes <randy@...> wrote:
          > > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
          > >
          > > > Greetings,
          > > >
          > > > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000
          > > (VC 6.0).
          > > >
          > > > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm
          > > > around lines 110 - 111
          > > >
          > > > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
          > > > # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
          > > > require Win32;
          > > > $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
          > > > }
          > > >
          > > > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
          > > > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
          > >
          > > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
          > > removed.
          > >
          > > > I also have another doubt.
          > > >
          > > > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
          > > > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
          > > > Win32::Process in
          > > > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore
          > > > this usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid
          > > > using Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?
          > >
          > > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which is
          > > probably
          > > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
          > > libwin32?
          > > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?
          >
          > Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I have
          > to document, maintain etc

          Fair enough :) If you don't want to run the tests, you could
          get away without Win32::Process, but Win32::GetShortPathName
          is still required to build it. So you'd either have to
          install libwin32 anyway to build it, or comment out the
          relevant Win32::* calls.

          However, it's *really* recommended to run the test suite,
          which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems using
          mod_perl, and ask here about it, one of the first questions
          asked is how well the tests fared.

          --
          best regards,
          randy

        • Random Joe
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
            --- Randy Kobes <randy@...> wrote:
            > On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:
            >
            > > --- Randy Kobes <randy@...>
            > wrote:

            > 2000
            > > > (VC 6.0).

            > mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm

            > > > You're right - that require of Win32 could be
            > > > removed.

            > perl
            > uses
            > ignore
            > avoid
            > > >
            > > > Win32::Process is used to run the tests, which
            > is
            > > > probably
            > > > a good idea ... Was there a problem installing
            > > > libwin32?
            > > > Or some other reason you want to avoid it?
            > >
            > > Non technical reason :-) Becomes another thing I
            > have
            > > to document, maintain etc
            >
            > Fair enough :) If you don't want to run the tests,
            > you could
            > get away without Win32::Process, but
            > Win32::GetShortPathName
            > is still required to build it. So you'd either have
            > install libwin32 anyway to build it, or comment out
            > the
            > relevant Win32::* calls.

            oops, i got confused. If Win32::GetShortPathName and
            brothers are in Perl Core why should I need to install
            libwin32 ?

            perl-src/win32/win32.c defines GetShortPathName -
            which seems to be calling the system's
            GetShortPathName() directly.

            > However, it's *really* recommended to run the test
            > suite,
            > which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems
            > using

            Yes, I do plan to use the test suite "as part of
            nightly test runs". My question was more about whether
            mod_perl required any Win32::* stuff during normal
            operations. Apparently it does not.

            regards
            srp

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
              Random Joe wrote:
              > Greetings,
              >
              > I am trying to build mod_perl 1.99_13 on Win 2000 (VC
              > 6.0).
              >
              > In mod_perl-1.99_13\lib\ModPerl\BuildOptions.pm around
              > lines 110 - 111
              >
              > if (Apache::Build::WIN32()) {
              > # MP_AP_PREFIX may not contain spaces
              > require Win32;
              > $val = Win32::GetShortPathName($val);
              > }
              >
              > Why do we need to require Win32.pm ?
              > Win32::GetShortPathName is in Perl Core.
              >
              > I also have another doubt.
              >
              > I want to avoid using Win32.pm. I have built perl
              > 5.8.3 native on win32. I notice that mod_perl uses
              > Win32::Process in
              > Apache-Test\lib\Apache\TestServer.pm. If I ignore this
              > usage or workaround it - can I safetly avoid using
              > Win32::* (libwin32) w.r.t to mod_perl ?

              You are talking about the Apache-Test suite, which is *not* mod_perl.
              Apache-Test/ subdir is bundled there only for your convenience. It's a project
              on its own.

            • Randy Kobes
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2004
                On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Random Joe wrote:

                > oops, i got confused. If Win32::GetShortPathName and
                > brothers are in Perl Core why should I need to install
                > libwin32 ?
                >
                > perl-src/win32/win32.c defines GetShortPathName -
                > which seems to be calling the system's
                > GetShortPathName() directly.

                Sorry about that - you're right; you'd only need libwin32
                for the tests.

                > > However, it's *really* recommended to run the test
                > > suite,
                > > which is pretty extensive; if you run into problems
                > > using
                >
                > Yes, I do plan to use the test suite "as part of
                > nightly test runs". My question was more about whether
                > mod_perl required any Win32::* stuff during normal
                > operations. Apparently it does not.

                I think that's right.

                --
                best regards,